Any advice on clipping dogs nails?

my dog gets really nervouse when i get the clippers out, i am very careful and have never made him bleed but he wont let me cut very much off and i think its starting to hurt his joints from walking with long nails. i need some advice!<br />

my dog gets really nervouse when i get the clippers out, i am very careful and have never made him bleed but he wont let me cut very much off and i think its starting to hurt his joints from walking with long nails. i need some advice!<br /> ...
    General Dog Discussions : Any advice on clipping dogs nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any advice on clipping dogs nails?

Any advice on clipping dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
      my dog gets really nervouse when i get the clippers out, i am very careful and have never made him bleed but he wont let me cut very much off and i think its starting to hurt his joints from walking with long nails. i need some advice!<br />

Any advice on clipping dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
    • Call around to vets or groomers and ask if they have a dremel for nails. Bring your pup in and let someone else dremel his nails. It will prevent him from associating you with the negative activity, for starters, and many dogs take to dremels (which are electric nail grinders) better than clippers. Also, a dremel can get the nails shorter than clippers without risking of injury or bleeding, because the heat and speed of the spinning sandpaper will actually cauterize the end of the vein if they reach it. It's a lifesaver for dogs with this problem. You can get them dremeled back every 2 weeks until they reach a good length, and then at least every 2-4 weeks to preven them from growing out again. If you want you can even have them show you how to use the dremel yourself and buy one, they're only like $30.

• You can try the dremel. My dog however goes crazy when I clip her toe nails, and the dremel didn't help the situation. Basically cutting my dogs nails is a two person job. Someone restrains her and someone cuts. Try as hard as possible to make it quick and painless, and when it's all done, lots of praise and extra special treats.<br />
      Some find that exposing them to the nail clippers and touching their feet a lot helps get them used to it.<br />
      Just don't give up. I know how hard it is to see your dog hysterical, but better for it to be upset for a minute then have long nails, and end up with foot or joint problems!

• This is quite normal. Get your pup/dog used to it.<br />
      1. get clippers and do nothing just "massage" the paw.<br />
      2. after while clip one nail a day!!!<br />
      3. always reward if dog is calm and cooperative.<br />
      4. always make sure you don't cut "too far", watch for blood vessels.<br />
      Best of luck

• The 1st answer from Alyssa is just what I would of suggested. I had a dog that wouldn't let me clip his nails at all, I had him for over 12 years & he still would start shaking and growling when he thought I was going to clip his nails. It petrified him so I started letting the vet do it, what a lifesaver. The dermel is the perfect answer for your situation

• Tony I has the right process. Give the dog lots of confidence and lots of praise. One nail at a time one day at a time. Each time you have success give the dog a small treat. It will then associate the process as being something positive. And dont get upset if your dog wont allow you to clip. Just try a few hours later or the next day.