clipping my dogs nails?

should i be worried, i clipped my 3 month old puppies nails tonight and one of them i got a little too short causing it to bleed. I have put baby powder on it and also neosporin. Is it true that they can bleed to death from their toenails being cut too…

clipping my dogs nails?

should i be worried, i clipped my 3 month old puppies nails tonight and one of them i got a little too short causing it to bleed. I have put baby powder on it and also neosporin. Is it true that they can bleed to death from their toenails being cut too…...
    General Dog Discussions : clipping my dogs nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• clipping my dogs nails?

clipping my dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
      should i be worried, i clipped my 3 month old puppies nails tonight and one of them i got a little too short causing it to bleed. I have put baby powder on it and also neosporin. Is it true that they can bleed to death from their toenails being cut too short??<br />

clipping my dogs nails?

clipping my dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
    • No need for a vet visit. No they won't bleed to death. It's too far from the heart. You should always keep styptic powder (aka Quick Stop) on hand. Corns starch works if you're in a pinch.<br />
      <br />
      ADD:<br />
      I don't think anyone has has gotten away without ever cutting too short at least once. You did fine.

• i have never heard that. i personally dont feel comfortable cutting my dogs nails just for the simple fact that no one in my house knows what to do and some of his nails r black and hard to see. if u r really concerned u should just have ur vet do it from now on

• It should be okay.As long as it stopped bleeding.If the nails are clear not black look for the redish area in the nail.Don't cut beyond that.If nails are black just trim them.Go to pet store tomorrow and ask for the powder to stop nails from bleeding.Good to have on hand.:)

• Yikes! I always cringe at clipping my dog's nails for that exact reason. It's very unlikely that the puppy would die from it though. This would be more true if it was something smaller, like a bird. It is true however that a small loss of blood to a very small animal can be harmful. Keep an eye on the puppy. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but it never hurst to keep a careful watch.<br />
      <br />
      The way you treated the bleeding was a good call. Quick thinking. Do keep something such as "quik-stop" on hand thoguh for such occasions. It's good to keep with the clippers so you don't forget to keep it within arms reach as your clipping the nails.

• Unfortunately it happens. Not likely to bleed to death no. Something I do, and I have 3 that I must trim regularly, is NOT use the 'dog nail' clippers! I have had dogs for many years and those darn things always caused me problems when I used them. I prefer a the large toe nail clipper for humans,lol, I can handle them and the dog better when using. I never bring blood any more. I can't see where the blood stops inside the toe nail when using the others. Good Luck.

• Everyone that clips nails gets too close occasionally. Most dogs are pretty forgiving of that if you don't make too big of a deal about it and aren't nervous the next time you do nails. <br />
      <br />
      Have some styptic powder or a styptic pen in the nail clipping supplies for future use. If you don't have those available and you cut too short and the nail bleeds, draw the nail across a bar of softened soap to control the bleeding. <br />
      <br />
      There is a new product called the Quick Finder Clipper that I have not tried that tells you where the blood supply is located and if it is safe to clip the nail. http://www.quickfinderclipper.com/<br />
      <br />
      Some dogs really prefer nail grinding to clipping. To learn more about that, here?s a great link with excellent instruction and photos. http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html<br />
      <br />
      Good for you to do nails at home! <br />
      <br />
      Good Luck!