How often should I get my dogs nails clipped?

How often should I get my dogs nails clipped?...
    General Dog Discussions : How often should I get my dogs nails clipped?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How often should I get my dogs nails clipped?

How often should I get my dogs nails clipped? General Dog Discussions

How often should I get my dogs nails clipped? General Dog Discussions
    • While some might think the answer is as simple as ?when they get too long?, there really is a little more to it than that. In ideal conditions, you wouldn?t have to trim the dog?s nail at all (except for the dew claw). That is because if given proper exercise under the right conditions, the nails would naturally be kept to a perfect length.<br />
      <br />
      When you take your dog for walks, the nails will wear down a little with each step. This is nature?s way of keeping a dog?s nails trimmed. When a dog does not get enough exercise, the nails will grow so long that you can hear them tapping when they walk across the floor. That is when you will have to start trimming.<br />
      <br />
      The exception to that rule is the dew claw. This is the claw that grows on the inner side of the paw. Because this claw doesn?t touch the ground during exercise, it will need to be trimmed regularly. If the dew claw is not properly trimmed, it could bend and grow right into the dog?s skin or pad. The only remedy for this is surgery, which must be performed as soon as you notice the problem. Otherwise, infections and other can result.<br />
      <br />
      Many dogs are extremely resistant to the nail trimming portion of their grooming routine. A dog that is being uncooperative can make this chore very difficult. If they squirm a lot, they can cause you to accidentally trim the nail too short. This can result in you cutting the ?quick?, which is the fleshy tissue under the nail. Cutting the quick will cause a lot of bleeding and is very painful for your dog. Some dogs are so bothered by nail trimming that they have to be sedated. If your dog seems very upset, do not attempt to continue with the trimming. Instead, talk to your vet or a professional groomer for some advice.<br />
      <br />
      If a dog has not been properly exercised then his nails will may grown too long. When this happens, the quick may also grow longer than normal in order to provide nourishment to the entire nail. You will either have to leave the nail longer (however long the quick is) or opt for a more radical solution where a vet will cut both the nail and the quick down while the dog is under general anesthesia.<br />
      <br />
      Proper grooming throughout the dog?s life can help avoid such a problem from occurring. Because it?s important to know what you?re doing when trimming a dog?s nails, the best idea is to leave this to the professionals. If you?d rather do it yourself, however, there are some tools that you will need to help make the job as simple and safe as possible.

• Every 2 weeks I think, if they gets too long and makes click nosies when walking (thats with nails being abit too long and touch ground) You can take the dogs to the groomer/vet and ask them to get your dogs nails done<br />
      <br />
      My guide dog doesn't need her nails clipped as she kept her nails trimmed with walking on concrete with me alot

• If your pet is not on concrete, blacktop, or other textured hard surface you should cut your pet's nails every four to six weeks or when the pet shows signs of needing the nails clipped.<br />
      <br />
      The dog or cat's nails grow fast due to the protein in the diet. The "quick" of the nail grows with the outside nail. Because the quick (where the blood is) grows also, we need to trim extra long nails every two weeks to return the nails to a normal length. Extra long nails have to be cut a little bit at a time and can not be cut short all at once.<br />
      <br />
      There are many type of nail clippers you can use, but if you can I would recommend using a motorized nail filer. Especially if your dog has really long quicks or black nails A lot of times groomers and vets and even dog boarding places offer these services for you. <br />
      <br />
      I posted a link for a video for you.

• If your dog gets lots of road work or lives in a kennel it may never require its nails cut. Clip the nails when they get to long. I have noticed that the longer the nails grow the longer the quick, and you don't want to cut the quick.

• My dogs nails grow pretty quick, and he is mostly inside now that the weather is bad, so I have had to do his about once every two weeks. If your dog gets lots of walks that can break down the nails, you might not need to do it so much. Usually a good rule of thumb is if you can hear his nails when he walks! Then they are too long!