How often should I have my dogs overgrown toe nails clipped?

I have a pure bred blue APBT that I got from someone a few weeks ago, about 2 weeks ago I had taken her to get her nails clipped because she had a hard time walking (they were so long she'd fall when walking). She is the sweetest dog but her nails are…

I have a pure bred blue APBT that I got from someone a few weeks ago, about 2 weeks ago I had taken her to get her nails clipped because she had a hard time walking (they were so long she'd fall when walking). She is the sweetest dog but her nails are…...
    General Dog Discussions : How often should I have my dogs overgrown toe nails clipped?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How often should I have my dogs overgrown toe nails clipped?

How often should I have my dogs overgrown toe nails clipped? General Dog Discussions
      I have a pure bred blue APBT that I got from someone a few weeks ago, about 2 weeks ago I had taken her to get her nails clipped because she had a hard time walking (they were so long she'd fall when walking). She is the sweetest dog but her nails are super long and she hates the pedi-paws, she tries to kill it when I turn it on, so I have to take her to Petco to have them done. Should I have them clipped again today? I'm not sure how long it takes for the quick to shorten.<br />
      My dog has razor edge blood lines. I have the papers to prove it but her health was pretty poor when I got her.<br />
      I asked a question about nails, not about whether or not my dog has the characteristics of a pure bred pit bull. I don't even have pictures of her posted and someones telling me she's a mutt.<br />

How often should I have my dogs overgrown toe nails clipped? General Dog Discussions
    • It is usually suggested that you have the nails clipped every week or so while you are working on getting the nails to shorten. I know it is a hassle. You might see if you can find a dog groomer or vet office closer to home that might be able to do it fairly cheap. Walking her on asphalt (as long as it isn't too hot) is also good for shortening the quick and keeping nails ground down.

• Nails should be checked monthly.<br />
      <br />
      She is not getting enough exercise to keep them worn down or her confromation is real bad.<br />
      <br />
      "...pure bred blue APBT." BYBed? or from a reputable breeder? Bet cha it is a BYBed dog & it would equal a mutt. I hate to see so many people being fooled by BYBers into thinking they got quality dogs & instead they have a mutt. 95% of all registered dogs are just pet quality & nothing to brag about.<br />
      <br />

• It depends on the breed and the time between nail clips varies from about 2 weeks to 4 months! I believe an APBT needs to have it's nails clipped about every 2 weeks. I suggest you make an appointment with your vet and ask him to show you how to do this more easily. ( I have yet to meet a dog that likes the Pedi-Paws!)<br />
      Might be an idea to read the article on this website<br />
      http://www.dogchannel.com/media/dog-books/dog-breed-books/activities-for-your-american-pit-bull-terrier.aspx.pdf