my dogs nails been clipped to the bone!!!?

i usually take my dog to a groomer in petsmart but they were completely booked to take any walk ins so i took my dog to this one groomer next to my vet. ( i have to enter the animal hospital order to go into the groomer) groomer wasnt there for the day…

i usually take my dog to a groomer in petsmart but they were completely booked to take any walk ins so i took my dog to this one groomer next to my vet. ( i have to enter the animal hospital order to go into the groomer) groomer wasnt there for the day…...
    General Dog Discussions : my dogs nails been clipped to the bone!!!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my dogs nails been clipped to the bone!!!?

my dogs nails been clipped to the bone!!!? General Dog Discussions
      i usually take my dog to a groomer in petsmart but they were completely booked to take any walk ins so i took my dog to this one groomer next to my vet. ( i have to enter the animal hospital order to go into the groomer) groomer wasnt there for the day so the receptionist have told me that they can do it for the same price. so i trusted them since they are the vet and all... my dog was just terrified of the animal hospital so i asked receptionist if i can go in with him but she said no because " it makes it harder when owners are with the dog" i went ahead and decided to just send my dog to the back to get his nail clipped. i paid and came in side the car with my dog and went home. but when i was getting out of the car i noticed blood all over my car seat. i looked at his nails and about 4 of his nails were bleeding pretty bad. ones that were not bleeding have been packed with the quick stop powder. i decided to go to the petsmart and get medication to stop the bleeding.( petsmart was closer than the vet) then i called the vet where i got his nails clipped. I spoke to the receptionist and this B**** said that vets clip them shorter because they have the tool to do so???? she said ALL vets will cut them shorter than the groomer would. I took my dog to the petsmart banfield right away to prove them wrong. the assistant looked at em and was surprised how short it was. she said my dog needed to go in anti biotic just incase of infection and medication was a must. I am extremely mad and dont know what to do. will this cause my dog permanent damage like numbness perhaps??? what should i do with this idiotic vet who clipped my dogs nails???<br />
      question out of the title, <br />
      <br />
      is white chocolate really okay for dogs?<br />
      i get his nails clipped about twice a month. this never happened before. i know they usually bleed maybe one or two usually. i never had that much quick stop used on his for last 3 years. when i took him out to walk that night the quick stop rubbed off and started bleeding again.<br />
      this vet is in southern california in the city of lake forest or laguna hills. its called El Toro animal hospital.<br />
      <br />
      they are horrible!<br />

my dogs nails been clipped to the bone!!!? General Dog Discussions
    • Ya know, groomers and vets can't win with nails. If we are careful not to quick them, we get complaints we didn't take enough off. If we try to cut them well back people complain because they bleed.<br />
      <br />
      Cutting a nail too short is NOT the end of the world, nor does it need medication. The Banfield vet was just trying to make the other vet look bad and sell you something you didn't need.<br />
      <br />
      Even the best groomer in the world will occasionally cut nails too short.

• Your dog's nails were not cut to the bone. They were 'quicked' - meaning the vein, or quick, in the nail was exposed during the nail trim.<br />
      <br />
      NOT all vets do this, however, the staff that did your dogs nails should have informed you that some of the nails were cut too short and there was some bleeding.<br />
      <br />
      Vets use nail trimmers just like groomers do. Some use a dremel tool - which groomers use as well.<br />
      <br />
      How often do you have the dogs nails trimmed? They should be done, at minimum, every month.<br />
      <br />
      Your dogs feet may be sensitive for a few days but will not have permanent damage.<br />
      <br />
      As for the vet at banfield who prescribed antibiotics - not normally necessary after a nail trim - I think they saw 'sucker' on your forehead and took advantage of it...

• Try going to a different vet to see if he will need the antibiotics. I don't think it will cause any extreme problems like numbness, but I can't be sure. And just so have the information, the nail is supposed to be cut at the part where it starts to curve. Generally, it won't bleed if you clip it there, and there is no reason to clip it any shorter. Everyone makes mistakes with nails though, especially if the nails are darker in color, since the quick is more difficult to see. <br />
      And don't give any kind of chocolate to your pets. For that matter, don't give any human food to your pets.

• Dogs don't have bones in their nails... but they do have a blood supply called the quick, which is what your vet cut into. This is exceptionally bad practice for all the nails to have been quicked like that, and will have the potential of making the dog aggressive for future nail trims out of fear of pain.

• Groomers take the nails down as far as they can, while trying to avoid the quick.. a dog's nails should NEVER be purposly cut that short unless there is some medical need to do so! The quick is the vien that runs thru the nail.<br />
      <br />
      The dog does NOT need antibiotics! Even groomers do occasionally cut a quick by accident. Nails heal quickly, and infection is highly unlikely.<br />
      <br />
      In my experience, I've found that vets are not as careful as groomers are about avoiding the quick.. but that doesnt mean they all purposly cut them too short!<br />
      <br />
      There will not be any permanant damage.. nails grow back quickly.. those few nails that were cut too short tho may not need to be done for a while tho. <br />
      <br />
      I personally would find another vet!<br />
      <br />
      Vets use the SAME tools as a groomer does to cut nails! Either a nail clipper or a dremmel tool to file.<br />
      <br />
      <br />
      <br />
      No white chocolate is not OK for dogs. It has some coacoa butter in it, so it still has some traces of the chemical that is found in chocolate. There's not nearly as much.. but there is some there. Dogs dont need the extra sugar and calories either.

• I actually use to work for Petsmart as a dog bather. I have quicked dogs nails before and we also use the quick stop. But that is stupid that there were that many that had been quicked. I would at the very least talk to the bad vet and get your money back. Just keep the nails clean and watch them for infection. It is just like cutting your nail too far down it hurts but in the long run your pet should be ok. Also if the quicks are long it makes it easier to quick the pet but a vet would recomend a procedure other than just nail clipping for that.

• Never go back to that vet again and demand they supply you with antibiotics free of charge. <br />
      Keep the paws as clean as possible until they heal up. This should not cause any permanent damage but it is raw and painful for your pup. Keep him inside, warm and dry until they heal. <br />
      I personally would also report him to the veterinary licensing board of your state. This is horrible. Yes, accidents happen and people hit the quick but he should not have hit the quick on every nail! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would suggest that you learn how to clip them yourself to avoid the problem. Then, instead of having to pay for them to take off a large chunk your pup can stay home and have little chunks taken off more often. This is better for the dog anyway. <br />
      <br />
      White chocolate is not okay for dogs. It is better than cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate in terms of how toxic it is but it will damage your dog's liver. Too much is even fatal. If you really want your dog to taste "chocolate" buy dog-friendly Karob. It is tasty and is non-toxic!

• I agree that you should talk to the groomer about getting your money back, or file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau bbb.org.<br />
      <br />
      Be careful though, it they are attatched to the hospital that you may someday need, you do not want a bad reputation with them. Perhaps you could talk to the manager.<br />
      <br />
      It is understandable for nails to sometimes be cut short enough to bleed on accident. Having more than a couple nails done that way shows incompetence. The employee might actually be charged with providing a service that they are not trained to perform. I do not know.<br />
      <br />
      Don't give your dog any chocolate. Even if one kind is considered "safe", ingredients change all the time without a change in packaging. "Natural flavors" written in the ingredients can mean almost anything.

• I would say that more than 2 nails that were quicked (cut to the quick of the nail) is excessive, but if your dog has dark nails, it may be near impossible to see the quick. Even the best groomers and vets cut too close sometimes. A way that we used to do is to use as Dremel tool to file the nail down. This avoids having the nail splinter or be sharp and frayed. It may be a little more traumatic because of the weird buzzing sensation that the animal feels, but it is less likely that the nail will be quicked.

• Was it the vet or the tech that did this? Find out and if it was the vet - don't go back and file a complaint, and try to get cost of medical care reimbursed. If it was the tech - show him/her how short they cut the nails. Have a paper written up from petsmart saying WHY the dog needed antibiotics. <br />
      <br />
      I don't know about nerve issues because I can't see how short they are. I wouldn't think so though. <br />
      <br />
      Keep in mind, antibiotics are not good for us or dogs and should only be given in cases where infection is already set in. That is why we have all the drug resistant bacteria going around now that is killing people. A better option would be making a paste of Turmeric and baking soda and applying it to the nails. Perhaps putting on some doggie boots since Turmeric also has a yellow pigment in it that can stain fabrics.

• Santa Bassett is right. Especially if your dog's nails were long---and/or were black. It's far too easy to quick a nail. It's not done maliciously, or out of negligence...it's just how it goes. It's NOT a life-altering injury.

• It happens sometimes they get the quick of the nail. I have done it with my own dogs before. And sure I felt horrible but, it was not intentional. I didn't do it on purpose.

• Is that women out of her mind???? Because he has the tool to do it??? What kind of lame A#$ excuse is that?? Does she even walk erect? Who is your vet? I want to know so I don't ever accidentally bring my dogs there. And ask this not so much because they clipped them to the quick ( it happens.. maybe one or two but FOUR!!!????) but more so for the retarded response of the receptionist. My apologies to the retarded for including the recptionist in the same category.

• Wow that's awful! And a Vet did this? That Vet should not have a license. He should be reported. If he doesn't know how to cut a dog's nails then he won't know much of anything else. I would take the dog to another Vet to be treated, soon, and keep all the paperwork and sue the other Vet for the new Vet's bill, the medication and treatment, and to get your money back from the bad Vet. This is ridiculous and you shouldn't let them get away with it. I hope he gets shut down, which I know won't happen but I wish!