How do you get a dog to tolerate his nails being clipped?

We own 2 little dogs, 1 is a yorkshire and the other is a chiwawa mix. They were both strays so we got them late in their life. The older one we have been doing her nails in the tub so she's not a big worry but the chiwawa we just got and we have tried…

We own 2 little dogs, 1 is a yorkshire and the other is a chiwawa mix. They were both strays so we got them late in their life. The older one we have been doing her nails in the tub so she's not a big worry but the chiwawa we just got and we have tried…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you get a dog to tolerate his nails being clipped?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you get a dog to tolerate his nails being clipped?

How do you get a dog to tolerate his nails being clipped? General Dog Discussions
      We own 2 little dogs, 1 is a yorkshire and the other is a chiwawa mix. They were both strays so we got them late in their life. The older one we have been doing her nails in the tub so she's not a big worry but the chiwawa we just got and we have tried everything to to his nails including food, electric dog nail file, regular clippers, having him be with the electric one with out using it. We will take any ideas. We do use a muzzle and he just is beside himself not letting you hold him or his paws. We have had him about a year going thru this. Even groomers cant get him to relax. The vet said he looked good and gave us some ideas which we tried but still with no luck. Thank you<br />
      The vet told me to use a muzzle, to be honest i hate the thing, I love my dogs and just wnat them comfortable. It really isnt my first choice. I know he needs his nails done just for health and comfortability for him. Thank you for ur help i will try anything for my babes.<br />
      I also didnt start out with a muzzle, I'll try anything the least restrictive first and have so far.<br />
      I also did buy the pedia paws too.<br />

How do you get a dog to tolerate his nails being clipped? General Dog Discussions
    • We had this problem also and learned of a solution on The Dog Whisperer. If the dog enjoys sitting in your lap try massaging it's paws while it is in a relaxed state. Start slowly and never force it. Eventually he should loose his paw shyness.

• take it slowly, this will take time as he has a fear of it now.<br />
      <br />
      take him each day lay with him and hold is paw for a second (the way you would if you went to clip his nails) but only for a second then give him lots of praise and a treat, repeat this for a week, then when he s comfortable with this, get the nail clippers out place them next to him and repeat the holding of the paw, praise him and give him a treat. once he is happy with the clippers being there, hold his paw in one hand and the clippers in the other for a second then repeat the praising and treat, the next step would be to mimic the clipping of the claw then praise him and treat.<br />
      <br />
      this will take a long time as it did with my dog, but in the end you will be able to clip his claws without any problems xxxxx<br />
      <br />
      hope i helped

• Try desensitising him by handling his legs first. Then when he's comfortable with this progress to his paws ( no clippers yet ). Once again when he's comfortable start touching and playing with his nails. Move on to touching him with the clippers etc. make sure you do not move onto the next level until he is fully comfortable with each stage. It will take time but eventually you should be able to actually clip the nails without any restraints. Make sure you treat and praise each effort so that he sees it as a fun and non dangerous activity. Good Luck.

• first off when you clip their nails, clean their ears, or anything of the nature you treat the dog as if she is supposed to let you do it and not be thinking to yourself are you gonna let me do it. dogs sense these feelings and wonder what you are going to do to them and can panic. secondly, i rarely use a muzzle, even when a pet owner tells me the vet or previous groomer "HAD" to use one. the only time i use a muzzle is when i am sure the dog wants to bite me. usually a muzzle makes the whole experience traumatizing and ten times harder. i suggest you put them on the floor, (where they normally are) have someone else hold the dog in a standing or sitting position. put your clippers level to the floor, and cut them. pet her the whole time and be patient. yea they may pull theyre legs back but they can only do it so many times in a row before wanting a rest. when they stop clip the nail. i say leave the clippers level with the floor because it is easy to cut a panicky dogs nails too short due to them flailing around. be very careful. I had to do this with a jack russel mix that every vet and groomer this dog had been too muzzled him. he was just scared, not mean, yes scared dogs can bite, but if you talk to them CALMLY pet them and take your time you can do it. i would lay off the muzzle if you can. as i said it traumatizes the dog and makes it harder each time. <br />
      <br />
      if it takes you ten minutes or 2 days stick with it until it is done, but dont stress the dog too much. if she is panicking really bad get one or 2 nails done and leave her alone for the day. (dont leave her alone, i mean just leave her feet alone and love and cuddle her) hope my advice helps you. good luck.<br />
      <br />
      <br />
      wow how funny i get thumbs down because i can understand dogs well enough to not use a muzzle. i swear people get a grip. im the one people like you end up bringing your dog to because you cant do it yourself and imagine that, i can. i also get and keep alot of clients that other groomers have refused to groom, due to them biting, or just being really fussy. so far all of them have turned into longterm repeat clients and i dont seem to have problems grooming these dogs. dogs are not used to being held upright or upside down while high off the ground so many customers who want to hold their dogs this way walk away with some pretty nasty battle wounds. some dont get why they are all of a sudden on a table they have been taught to stay off of tables so they automatically become nervous when placed on a table. so if they are nervous leave them on the floor where they are used to being. go to their level its less stressful and let them know you aint gonna hurt them they be fine. <br />
      i try with all of my heart and soul not to stress dogs i groom.<br />
      take my time and give them breaks, and lots of love and good girl/boys. reward them with kindness for letting me do my job.<br />
      i also own a pit bull that ANYONE can touch ANY PART of her with absolutley no problem/shyness. i could stick my tounge in her ear (if i wanted to). i know my animals people dont try me. cause most people around me know i have a gift. so dont hate on me with your thumbs down!

• I have a Dachshund that HATES i mean absolutely HATES his feet touched or his nails clipped. I have taken him to many groomers who half way through decided they cant finish and me and my boyfriend leave with bruises and cuts from our dog thrashing around. The next step was to have him put to sleep while they cut his nails that would have cost and arm and a leg and then some. I found this product called PediPaws it was 20 dollars and it just files the nails down so you don't have to cut them. This thing was a god sent! It is really quick and once you show your dogs how it wont hurt them you will have no problems I truly recommend you look into it! Good Luck!