I want to take my GSD dog to PetSmart to get his nails clipped but...?

He's very scared and DOES not like strangers at all. He doesn't like anyone poking and picking at him for a long period of time. He knows the command "Paw" but he can hold that command for like only 5 seconds before he pulls back. His nails are getting…

He's very scared and DOES not like strangers at all. He doesn't like anyone poking and picking at him for a long period of time. He knows the command "Paw" but he can hold that command for like only 5 seconds before he pulls back. His nails are getting…...
    General Dog Discussions : I want to take my GSD dog to PetSmart to get his nails clipped but...?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I want to take my GSD dog to PetSmart to get his nails clipped but...?

I want to take my GSD dog to PetSmart to get his nails clipped but...? General Dog Discussions
      He's very scared and DOES not like strangers at all. He doesn't like anyone poking and picking at him for a long period of time. He knows the command "Paw" but he can hold that command for like only 5 seconds before he pulls back. His nails are getting ridicuously long and I've held this off for too long. I wanna clip it myself but of course, i have no experience so I might as well take him to PetSmart to get it done.<br />
      <br />
      As has been said, my dog does like not strangers. He'll bark and just make a scene. How can I calm him down during the process. Will the workers let me hold my dog while they clip his nails?<br />
      <br />
      Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.<br />
      @julie.D thank you, you've got a good point. I always cringe at the thought of my dog throwing a fit.. I guess I'll have to live with it. thanks again.<br />

I want to take my GSD dog to PetSmart to get his nails clipped but...? General Dog Discussions
    • You know what? PetSmart has a bunch of novice idiots working for them and they probably won't get any farther than you did. Take the dog to the Vet and have it done. These people are experts on dealing with issues as this. They will probably make you leave the room, which is probably for the best anyway, and THEY will deal with it. If you hear your dog throwing a fit, ignore it. Let them do their job, and start keeping up on this regularly.<br />
      <br />
      Add: I have been using a Dremel on ALL of my dog's nails for decades, EXCEPT ONE VERY stubborn Basset Hound that I had only for a brief time. This dog was stronger than an ox and even three grown adults couldn't contain this beast. We did take him to a groomer, (sure as hell not PetSmart) and had his nails done for $6.00. I even went outside of the building and you would NOT believe the ruckus you could hear. Of well, job done, and one pooped out dog for hours after that. He had to use just as much energy to throw his *fit*, as the amount of energy it took the groomers to get this job done in less than 5 minutes. A Vet usually charges more than a groomer, but it's WELL worth it!

• I used to take my old chi (who did not like strangers, either) to Petsmart to have his nails clipped.<br />
      <br />
      It only takes a few minutes, and they let me hold him while they clipped him. I warned them about him possibly biting, so they put a muzzle on him.<br />
      <br />
      Now....a chi is less intimidating than a GSD, but why dont you call them and ask? :o)<br />
      <br />
      Then take some time and learn to do it yourself....I do all my own dogs now, with a grinder.

• Enlist the help of a family member or friend to restrain your dog while you clip his nails. LEARN how to do this correctly. There are plenty of sites on the web.<br />
      <br />
      Or just take him to your Vet. They know how to do this. Yes, the dog is still going to be anxious but this is part of what vets & techs deal with every day.

• great ideas above!!!!!!!!<br />
      <br />
      thoughts: <br />
      options<br />
      -walking your dog regularly on concrete keeps them to the right length.<br />
      -getting back to a reasonable length that you can then maintain yourself - have someone else do it and bring treats!<br />
      - your vet - he knows he goes there for stuff - why not?<br />
      - where you board him if you travel<br />
      -a smaller pet grooming shop where you can stay with your dog and the environment is not so loud (vets sometimes have good calm groomers - some people like mobile groomers - i just don;t have that kind of cash to spend - if you do - they can be wonderful people.<br />
      - doing it yourself - if your dog's toenails are light colored you can see the quick - don;t go to/past - they bleed - if they are dark - it took me time to figure out looking at them from the bottom makes it easy! great resources including vids http://www.google.com/search?q=trimming+dog%27s+toenails&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADRA_en<br />
      <br />
      once you are back to a maintenance length - use treats to get him used to the process if you are going to do the upkeep yourself<br />
      -I use a rough nail file that i can control while holding the nail and paw so the nail does not move around which is uncomfortable and causes him to resist <br />
      - if i get behind - I use a dremel on low and do one or so a day to save me hassle of the big production and lower his resistance to the process . It is a low key part fo the evening routine with days off. don;t waste your money on the as seen on tv crap - if you have files, dremel whatever at home just save your money<br />
      if you use the dremel do NOTE use on high unless your dog becomes accustomed to it - move quickly from nail to nail if you do - it can get hot and hurt the dog<br />
      <br />
      <br />
      good luck and thanks for taking such good care of your pet!

• Find a really good groomer, If she is good she will treat your dog real good and after a few visits, maybe your dog will start to like her. My dogs groomer comes to our house and does it in driveway in her pampered pooch mobile. She gives doggy treats to win my dog over, and he was in love in no time with the idea of getting groomed.

• As someone that grooms dog for a living and has worked for both Petsmart and a vet office. I can say that you can get good and bad service at both places. <br />
      <br />
      The first problem you need to address is your dog's lack of security in strange places. Your dog is fearful because he seems to have not been exposed to lots of strange people and places when he was a puppy. Bad on you. Now you have created a problem that can be fixed with time and training.<br />
      <br />
      Second, "Paw" means nothing and is not a command, your asking the dog for his foot nothing more. You?re not telling him to hold still or to let you clip or file his nails.<br />
      <br />
      Third. If you dog is freaky the groomer or tech can put a muzzle on the dog. Preventing the dog from biting. I'm a 5'5" female who easily can handle large dogs like GSD and Mastiffs. <br />
      Why? Because I know when to muzzle and when to command the dog. I also know leverage and how to properly tether the dog to prevent fighting back and freaking out. But on occasion dog still freak, I just let them. They get over it in a few minutes.<br />
      <br />
      If your dog can not be handled by a groomer or tech you may have to step to a sedation show clip of the nails. I perform this service with the vet I work for. The dog is sedated with an injection; once they are under I cut the nails back very short. Cautezing the nail bed to stop bleeding and prevent infection. This is for dogs that have no other choice. Because if you do not find a way to keep the nails cut short your going to be paying the vet to bandage up torn off nails that your dog did himself.<br />
      <br />
      So buck up and take then dog for his nail clipping once a month. <br />
      <br />
      I have a dog that hates her nails cut and i clip them every two weeks and grind them smooth. She doesn't like it but she has learned to not fight and to be tolerent until i am done and then she gets a treat.

• You can take him to the vet and if he throws that big of a fit they can sedate him. <br />
      I know that Petsmart does hire people new to the business but they are not all idiots as Julie says. I know an older lady who was a professional groomer for 30 years. Due to the economy she had to go back to work part-time and she now works at our local Petsmart.