Dogs; Who clips your dogs nails?

I have a tiny pug! After she got excited and jump up at my legs to hold her, i got scratched. I think its time to clip my babys nails. Do you do yours or take them to the vet? Im weary about cutting her nails !<br />

I have a tiny pug! After she got excited and jump up at my legs to hold her, i got scratched. I think its time to clip my babys nails. Do you do yours or take them to the vet? Im weary about cutting her nails !<br /> ...
    General Dog Discussions : Dogs; Who clips your dogs nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dogs; Who clips your dogs nails?

Dogs; Who clips your dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
      I have a tiny pug! After she got excited and jump up at my legs to hold her, i got scratched. I think its time to clip my babys nails. Do you do yours or take them to the vet? Im weary about cutting her nails !<br />

Dogs; Who clips your dogs nails? General Dog Discussions
    • I watch Animal Cops Houston, and the vets at the SPCA there just squeeze the paw and pop, pop, pop, the claws are all clipped. They clip them only halfway up, not too far at all. It takes them very little time at all. They use a nail clipper used just for dogs. There are lots of videos on YouTube for it:<br />
      <br />
      https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=clip+dog%27s+nails+&oq=clip+dogs+nai&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0i10.939.3879.0.5092.13.13.0.0.0.0.286.1115.12j0j1.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.GSLaCktKrMk

• I do not clip my dogs nails. His nails get warn down by use. Taking your dogs for long daily walks on concrete surfaces, should keep them dull. If you already walk your dog and her nails are still annoying you, you can get this thing called a Pedi Paw or some stupid name like that. It's basically a file that rotates that you can use on the dog's toes. Or you can use a regular nail file, a hard metal kind, not the softer ones. Clipping them yourself can be hazardous because you could cut into a blood vessal that goes into the nail and that is extremely painful for the dog.

• Lol, my dog does. I only realized when I saw his claws where uneven lengths, and when I examined them he chewed a little on them! He has a small habit of biting his nails every now and again, but usually they're fine as they get worn down on walks. I also know someone who takes their dog to the vet as their dog is only a year or so old and fidgets constantly when his claws need to be done.

• i cut my dog's nails myself ... his nails are all white so it is easy to see where the quick is ... if you are unsure, you can have someone else do them the first few times so the pup is used to it and then try yourself ... the clippers i bought came with the little container of styptic powder in case the quick is hit (touch wood, i have never hit the quick :O)

• I do mostly, there have been one or two in my life that I rescued where it was easier for the vet to do. <br />
      There are some good videos on it--watch a few. You might start out just a small touch at first. One or two paws than the other the next day. <br />
      <br />
      Many dogs are pullers-you might need a helper if you have one. Make sure you touch her paws more-get her use to you handling them--sometimes that helps. <br />
      Lay them down- holding them there helps some<br />
      <br />
      Make sure you have bleed stop ( styptic powder ) just in case when you do cutting (just a few bucks last a long time) <br />
      All black nails are harder. <br />
      Do watch the videos if you want to learn--or ask the vet as well. <br />
      <br />
      I think many are leery and weary at first. But once you get use to it-it's a saver in time and money.

• You can go to the vet and have the techs do it for a small fee, if you ask, they will also squeeze the fluid out of her glands that she has by her tail, it what makes them smell like dog. It is also healthy to get these glands squeezed once in a while. When you see them itching their but on the floor, it is time to get those glands done.

• I cut my own dogs nails weekly using a nail trimmer, when I check them from nose to tail for any usual lumps, bumps or skin irritation and clean their out ears with a wipe.<br />
      <br />
      You could take the puppy to have its nails trimmed by a groomer or vet, watch how it is done and then do it at home yourself.<br />
      <br />
      ww.amazon.com/Safari-Professional-Nail-Trimmer-Medium/dp/B004LODGWA/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1360978512&sr=1-10&keywords=dog+nail+trimmer

• I do all my dogs nails (as well as some of the dogs I watch.)<br />
      <br />
      I prefer to use a grinder, rather than clip them. Dremel makes a rechargeable grinder specifically for nails, and it is stronger than the Pedi Paws (which is okay for small dogs if you want the nail guard).<br />
      <br />
      If you don't want to do that, a groomer can clip them for a small fee....somewhere between $5-$10.

• I do.<br />
      I teach my dogs from puppies to be calm when having their nails clipped along with anything else i need to do to them. Teaching a dog to have ALL it`s part handles when it`s just pup, pays dividends for when its mature.<br />
      But there may obviously be problems with a rescued dog that has not been taught this way. Then it`s best to take the dog to a proffesional dog groomer or a vet. Jmo.

• What a coincidence Vanessa, that's something I've also thought about I watch Animal Cops Houston, and the vets at the SPCA there just squeeze the paw and pop, pop, pop, the claws are all clipped. They clip them only halfway up, not too far I hope this answers your question.

• Before I walk the dog, I'll have to answer: Lol, my dog does. I only realized when I saw his claws where uneven lengths, and when I examined them he chewed a little on them! He has a small habit of biting his nails Well take care Vanessa.