is it necesary to clip my dog's nails?

she is a chihuahua and doesnt scratch the furniture I have never clipped them and she ussualy scratches a just wall or the door wich doesnt bother me at all , she also fights bugs and scratches them ._. I think it would be kind of mean to take away…

she is a chihuahua and doesnt scratch the furniture I have never clipped them and she ussualy scratches a just wall or the door wich doesnt bother me at all , she also fights bugs and scratches them ._. I think it would be kind of mean to take away…...
    General Dog Discussions : is it necesary to clip my dog's nails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• is it necesary to clip my dog's nails?

is it necesary to clip my dog's nails? General Dog Discussions
      she is a chihuahua and doesnt scratch the furniture I have never clipped them and she ussualy scratches a just wall or the door wich doesnt bother me at all , she also fights bugs and scratches them ._. I think it would be kind of mean to take away her means of deffending against those big evil bugs D: <br />
      <br />
      is it absolutely necesary= why do people do it?<br />

is it necesary to clip my dog's nails? General Dog Discussions
    • if her nails get too long, they can break, which is painful& sometimes results in infection. long nails can also cause an irregular gait that leads to skeletal damage.

• It is necessary to do. For starters, dogs who are not constantly active, and don't have the opportunity to wear down their nails naturally by digging, etc. will start to get overgrown nails if they're not trimmed up. When a dog's nails grow too long the nail follows the natural curve, and will cause the dog's toes to bend painfully to accommodate their unnaturally long nails. If left uncut for too long the dog will go lame. Having nails that are too long can be at first annoying, and then painful to a dog so it is important to make sure your dog's nails are at a reasonable length.<br />
      If you are uncomfortable clipping your dog's nails you can take the dog to the groomer or vet to have it done, or purchase a peticure dremmel tool so you can file your dog's nails yourself. It will keep your dog's nails neat, clean, and round off any sharp edges on the nails...unlike standard clipping.<br />
      My large dogs get to go hiking all the time, and therefore, only need their nails done every 3 to 6 mo. However, my Dachshund doesn't get to do all the things the big boys do because I'm trying to preserve his back. Since Dachshunds were meant to dig, they have some of the fastest growing nails I think I've ever seen. His have to be done religiously every month or else they'll start to curl and mess with his toes.<br />
      So, all this to say...yes...it is necessary.

• When you exercise your dog, take her on gravel to wear them down. No it is not necessary unless there is some reason why a dog can't walk on rough surfaces. It doesn't take much to wear them down. The only nails that needs to be checked for clipping is the dew claws if the dog still has them.

• Long nails cause difficulty with the feet and toes. They cause the toes to bend in the wrong ways and eventually the foot isn't in the right position, either. Yes, they need to be trimmed regularly. The dew-claws can get caught in carpet, etc and torn. <br />
      <br />
      Your vet or groomer can trim them for you if you can't manage it yourself.