How to fix my dogs nail?

My dog has one really long nail that goes so far that it has gone into his foot and it really bothers him. I would like to cut it but if i even go to get it he yelps. What should i do to fix my dogs nail

How to fix my dogs nail?

My dog has one really long nail that goes so far that it has gone into his foot and it really bothers him. I would like to cut it but if i even go to get it he yelps. What should i do to fix my dogs nail ...
    General Dog Discussions : How to fix my dogs nail?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to fix my dogs nail?

How to fix my dogs nail? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has one really long nail that goes so far that it has gone into his foot and it really bothers him. I would like to cut it but if i even go to get it he yelps. What should i do to fix my dogs nail

How to fix my dogs nail?

How to fix my dogs nail? General Dog Discussions
    • Take him to a groomer or Vet. They can clip the nails for you (for a small fee). If needed, there will be more than 1 person to keep your dog calm.
      The best thing if you are doing it yourself, is the ignore the yelps. Your dog is uncomfortable and wants you to stop. Unless he is genuinely in pain (like you cut the quick), keep going. Use the scissor type clippers, it will be easier to get at the nail than the guillotine type. Having someone help hold the dog can be helpful.
      If your dog has white nails, don't clip into the pink part. This is a blood vessel and will bleed if you cut it. For Black nails, you may need to cut a few times to make sure you don't cut the quick.
      There are many videos on nail clipping that you can look at if you need any help.
      You should make nail clipping a part of regular grooming so they don't get long again.

• I would take him to the vet to have the nail trimmed. If you try to tim it you may cut the quick (the group of blood vessels that supply blood to the nail and paws) and cause him pain. My dog has his problem too, his nails grow very fast and the quick gets too long so it causes tenderness in the paw and around the nail. If you take it to the vet they can cut it short and cauterize it. Cauterizing means that they take very hot heat and kind of melt the nail over it so he won't bleed

Here is a website on it:http://www.theeplaceforpaws.com/Dog_Tips_Nail.html

Hope I helped!!!!!!!!!!

• Your dog needs to see the vet..The vet will cut the nail and pull the part of the nail out the is growing into the pad...This is something can can be avoided by taking you dog in for nail trimming..Of course he yelps it hurts take him to his vet..