how often and for how long are you supposed to walk a border collie?

my border collie is 8 months and he sleeps a lot, im kind of worried. should i be?is it possible to walk TOO much?

my border collie is 8 months and he sleeps a lot, im kind of worried. should i be?is it possible to walk TOO much?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : how often and for how long are you supposed to walk a border collie?...

• how often and for how long are you supposed to walk a border collie?

how often and for how long are you supposed to walk a border collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      my border collie is 8 months and he sleeps a lot, im kind of worried. should i be?is it possible to walk TOO much?

how often and for how long are you supposed to walk a border collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No you shouldnt be worried because, all dogs need their sleep. Puppies usually sleep more, but maybe he's just not the very energetic hyper kind of dog. You should walk them for about 20 mins about twice a day 30 mins after they eat and then gradually take them on longer walks as they get older. But dont walk him too much cuz he can only handle so much and possibly get dehydrated and tired.

• The more exercise he gets the more energy he will have. My Border is constant! He always wants to play. Try a ball or frizbee. Take him in the car. Take him to a place he's never been before. Borders are the smartest of all dog breeds and they get bored easy. Try new and exciting places and toys. Also get him a wading pool, they love water!

• You are soooo lucky! I want a border. Puppies tend to sleep a lot, but border collies are very active dogs. They are ranked the smartest dog, and they get bored very easily. They need to have a long walk at least every day. Maybe 2 hours, or a day at the dog park.

• border collies are very active dogs so as much excersise as possible is always good. your dog is still young so will sleep alot in between active times. if your pup is lethargic all of the time without active times or is not fussed about food or seems ill in anyway get the vet to check him out.

• border collies are usually very energetic dogs.Did your dog had any medical treatment recently?My dogs are very tired for a day or two, when they get vaccinated.Otherwise, i would recommend, go to the vet, and maybe do a heart worm test(its a blood test).I hope, you do give heart worm preventative to your dog?Was he always this quiet?The other possibility is, he comes from a different bloodline?

• No less than a half hour per day, every day. One hour per day, split into two half hour periods, would be ideal. When to walk really doesn't matter. Just walking the dog does. Some walk before food, so the dog is earning the food. Some walk after food, i don't agree with allowing the dog to sniff or go to the bathroom on walks. Walk time should be exercise in my opinion. What good does a half hour walk do if the dog barely walked around? Your dog may be sleeping out of boredom. Walks, play time, rides in the car... these are things that get the dogs mind going. Toys that take some mental stimulation (like kongs), chew toys that feel good in their mouths. Petting time, grooming time.. these things get a dog up and more interested in life. Going out and having a day or two a week for meeting new dogs time (like at a dog park) for socializing. Hiding treats under things so they have to find a way to get the treat... Break up the boredom for an animal and watch the wonderful results!

• my dog is 2 years old and sleeps all the time so your 8 month old is just like my 2 year old and is still young and needs its sleep... But most dogs sleep at least 1/3 of the day... NO you shouldn't be worried about your dog sleeping a lot. And the walking... You should walk your dog at least 5 days a week until it gets tired... make sure you let him/her rest every 30 minutes or sooo... until it gets used to the walks and take plenty of water with you b/c dogs sweat out of there mouths so they need plenty of fluid to keep theirselves hydrated...Hope this helps... Good Luck!

• Nah, don't worry. My 6 month old pup does the same.They need AT LEAST 2 hours exercise a day, most of that being an off lead run.And plenty of stimulating activities for their brain.ADD:Dog's sweat through their PAWS, not mouths!