how often is sedation used to cut dogs nails?and is it safe?

a friend of mine gave me his dog of 4 years to care for him because he no longer could.the dog is a Chihuahua & Dachshund mixed breed.He was neglected for some time and his nails are in drastic need of being cut but the dog wont let us any where near his…

a friend of mine gave me his dog of 4 years to care for him because he no longer could.the dog is a Chihuahua & Dachshund mixed breed.He was neglected for some time and his nails are in drastic need of being cut but the dog wont let us any where near his…...
    General Dog Discussions : how often is sedation used to cut dogs nails?and is it safe?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how often is sedation used to cut dogs nails?and is it safe?

how often is sedation used to cut dogs nails?and is it safe? General Dog Discussions
      a friend of mine gave me his dog of 4 years to care for him because he no longer could.the dog is a Chihuahua & Dachshund mixed breed.He was neglected for some time and his nails are in drastic need of being cut but the dog wont let us any where near his paw with the clippers.another friend suggested getting him sedated while a vet cut his nails.is sedation used often and is it safe?

how often is sedation used to cut dogs nails?and is it safe? General Dog Discussions
    • it is used for a last resort. take him to the vet and let them try and if they say it needs to be done then trust their opinion. he may have never had them cut and in nervous but they need to be cut for his well being. and yes it is safe when a good vet is taking care of the dog

• Dogs shouldn't be sedated for nail clipping.
      I don't see the problem, seeing as you can EASILY pin him down.
      I mean, come one...He's a Chihuahua x Dachshund...It's not that hard"** Emily.. you'd be surprised some small dogs are extremely hard and would give even the most dog savvy person a run for thier money.."

Trust me, I know! Lmao.
      I dealt with a verryy food aggressive Daschund once.
      But I was still able to get her around the muzzle and hold her down. Lol, it wasn't fun!

• If dog is in pain or walking difficultly with his nails being long seek a vets advice unless they are really in a bad way sedation would be last resort, if not long walks on pavements or hard rough surface will soon wear them down plenty of exercise should sort them out good luck

• my first dog had an aversion to nail trimming and i did bring him to the vet for sedation ... they tried three times to sedate him and he would not fall asleep ... they could give him no more medication and finally just did it with a muzzle and he fell asleep within 10 minutes of leaving the vet ... i would not suggest sedation, i would suggest a professional such as a vet or groomer with experience to muzzle your dog and get the job done ... it may take several visits, but i would definitely not go with sedation but someone who is experienced with dogs who don't like having their nails trimmed ... and don't be in the room, let the stress be associated with someone else and you are the happy person waiting for him ...

• bring the dog to the vet. they will muzzle it and one tech will hold it while another will clip its nails.. Also alot of times a dog that is terrible for its owner will be good for the techs or in my case the groomer..because they are to afraid to fight back..I have never seen a dog at my clinic be sedated for a nail trim.. and if it was it would be mild sedatives.

* the only time I could think of a dog would need to be sedated is if the nails were growing into the pads of the foot in which case the dog might need to be sutured or be in severe amounts of pain and sedation might be best in that case..

** Emily.. you'd be surprised some small dogs are extremely hard and would give even the most dog savvy person a run for thier money..

• If you take him to the vet,they can likely cut them without sedating the dog. You need to take it in anyway,for a well-dog check and to start it on heartworm preventative if it isn't on it already. If the dog does need to be sedated,the vet knows what he/she is doing and it is pretty safe if the dog is healthy.