Nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled?

The 1 nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled, they are located more near the side on the upper part of his paws... we never noticed his nails curled up so much, is it because we havn't trimmed them and that they've grown so long? Does this hurt…

The 1 nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled, they are located more near the side on the upper part of his paws... we never noticed his nails curled up so much, is it because we havn't trimmed them and that they've grown so long? Does this hurt…...
    General Dog Discussions : Nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled?

Nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled? General Dog Discussions
      The 1 nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled, they are located more near the side on the upper part of his paws... we never noticed his nails curled up so much, is it because we havn't trimmed them and that they've grown so long? Does this hurt him? Should we cut them?

Nail on both of my dog's hind feet are curled? General Dog Discussions
    • Does he ever get to walk on something that would wear down his nails? Like asphalt, or concrete, or something with a rough surface like that?

If not, then yes, you need to trim his nails. If he is an inside dog, he will need to have his nails trimmed, and yes it could be uncomfortable for him to have his nails curled up like that.

Sometimes the vet will trim them for a nominal fee if you don't want to do it yourself or take him to a groomer.

• Yes, the nails are overgrown, but you might consider having a vet cut them. If you trim them back too close it will be painful for the dog (not to mention the bleeding), and this will make him reluctant to ever let anyone trim his nails again. If you ask, the vet will show you how to trim the nails yourself in future.

If nails are allowed to grow like this they can curl aruond so far they dig into the dog's leg and cause open wounds. They really can hurt him.

• It sounds like you are talking about his dew claws, please cut it! It can grow into his skin and cause pain and possibly even infection. If you are not comfortable cutting it, get him to a vet or groomer.

• Yes, you need to cut them. Some dogs have dewclaws. There is no way for the dog to grind them down so they need to be clipped regularly. If ignored it can become very painful. Just watch out for the quick.

• I think your speaking about your dog's dew claws. These are the two claws on the side of his paws and just slightly higher up on his/her leg. I spoke to my vet recently and there is a quick procedure to have them removed and they said they tend to curl. Unless you want the procedure, you can get them clipped just as you would their regular nails. I don't believe that the dew claws would hurt him unless it gets caught on something and pulls.

• Yes, you need to clip the dew claws on the back legs as well as the front legs. Since they are so long and curled, I would have some "Quick Stop" on hand just in case they start to bleed. I'n glad you discoved this. I've heard of dogs that got so bad that the dew claws actually grew into, and got imbedded under the dogs skin, requiring surgery.

• If you don't know how to trim the dogs nails then take him to a groomer or the vet and they can trim the nails for you.

Your dogs nails are too long. Be careful because dewclaws become ingrown quickly.

• Get them cut right away. I'm embarrased to admit it but one of my dogs hind leg nails has curled into her paw. I've been checking her nails but not closely enough and one managed to grow so badly that it's embedded. :(
      I have to go to the vet today to have them remove it. I feel horrible. So get it done so your puppy isn't in pain!