Im too scared to cut my dogs nails!!!?

Alright I need to cut my dogs nails! My husband has been taking extra hours at work, and hes usually the one who does it! ( or the vet) However, I'd really like to do it myself!....Problem is I can only see the quick on half of them! Half are black, half…

Alright I need to cut my dogs nails! My husband has been taking extra hours at work, and hes usually the one who does it! ( or the vet) However, I'd really like to do it myself!....Problem is I can only see the quick on half of them! Half are black, half…...
    General Dog Discussions : Im too scared to cut my dogs nails!!!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Im too scared to cut my dogs nails!!!?

Im too scared to cut my dogs nails!!!? General Dog Discussions
      Alright I need to cut my dogs nails! My husband has been taking extra hours at work, and hes usually the one who does it! ( or the vet) However, I'd really like to do it myself!....Problem is I can only see the quick on half of them! Half are black, half are clear....how do I know where to cut on the black ones? Im so scared Im going to hurt him!

Im too scared to cut my dogs nails!!!? General Dog Discussions
    • You can ask your husband or the vet to show you... Or if you have enough money to buy a new trimmer, Pedi Paws is designed to not touch the quick...

Here is a website with information about Pedi Paws if you are interested: http://www.pedipawstrimmer.info/

Good luck, and remember, keep trying!

• I suggest going to the vet and asking them to show you how to do it. I work at a vet and we have people come in all the time to learn how. They may charge your for a nail trim, but then you will know how to do it! The pedi-paw is a great idea, but I have found that it takes too long for the dogs, and they usually hate the noise. It's also not very powerful. If you do choose to use a grinder like the pedi-paw, make sure to realize that they CAN get to the quick, as its all about how far you grind them down. Think about whether you would like a quick nail trim or a drawn out one. Either way, it will take some practice. Good luck!

• Active dogs will wear down their nails on their own, but most dogs need regular nail trims. When nails grow too long, they can make it uncomfortable for the dog to walk and lead to painful, bloody snags and tears.

http://dogtime.com/nails.html

• Get a dremel sander, either corded or not and grind the nails. Its much safer anyways. You could spend a lot on that guillotine type cutter that tells you if you are near the quick, but might as well just get a dremel.

Don't waste you're money on the pedipaws it does not work, one it does not have enough power and two the dust trap is essentially crap. My parents got one and I was seriously displeased, now im just gonna use it on my younger puppies to get them used to sanders.