How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.?

How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.?

How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.?...
    General Dog Discussions : How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.?

How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.? General Dog Discussions

How long should a sm. dogs nails be after trimming? I have a Peek-a-Poo who weighs 17 lbs.? General Dog Discussions
    • It's really not about actual "nail length". It's about the "quick" of the nail. If you have white nails just look at the nail...you can easily see "where" the pink is in the nail. You don't want to nick into the pink!

However.. with black nails you just have to know not to tip the trimmer past level with the pad of the toe. If you quick your dog (nip the internal part of the nail...the LIVE part) he''s not gonna trust you to do that to him for a long time. There are also a couple types of "nail trimmers" and both are used slightly different.

Maybe have a dog owner friend show you (who does this to their own dogs), or next vet trip have him/her show you how to "trim" without nicking the live nail. It bleeds like heck and hurts like heck for the dog too.

Every dog owner should know how to trim nails. When done properly it's not traumatic for the dog at all. Much less traumatic then partially tearing a LONG nail on something and having to have the whole works surgically removed.

Have someone knowledgeable teach you....then you'll be off and running. It's nice to be able to be self sufficient when doing routine maintenance with your pooches.

EDITED:
      It took me a bit to find some decent CLEAR internet photos...but if you look at this link...and read it...you'll have a clue, but STILL have someone show you the first time so you don't BOTH end up traumatized...lol
      Nail trimming link
      http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_claws.aspx

• The appropriate length of trimmed nails isn't dependent on weight or breed but rather on the length of the dog's quick (never ending in the nail). If the nails are white then you will be able to see the pink colored nerve through the nail. You want to cut close down to it, but not right against it because the action of the trim can put pressure against the nerve and cause discomfort. If you hit the quick, it'll bleed and hurt a good deal. You should also have Stypic ready in case you do hit the quick. It'll stop the bleed and offer some relief from the pain. If your dog has black nails, it's more challenging because you can't see the Quick. I recommend you cut black nails slowly and only tiny bits at a time so that if you do clip the Quick, you are only nipping it and not chomping into too deep. You can usually have your vet do it during a regular visit for a small fee. Mine charges $10.

• I flush the toilet after I go, I don't peek at my poo. If you are going 17 pounds at a time, I suggest that you contact your physician, that is not normal.

As far as a dogs nails go, the same length as any other dog's.