I need advice for getting a Border Collie?

My family and I are planning to get a Border Collie from the shelter, but they are very hyper and I know it wont be easy. I have a pretty big backyard but I dont live in a farm. How many hours would I need to give it excercise i'm on summer vacation and…

My family and I are planning to get a Border Collie from the shelter, but they are very hyper and I know it wont be easy. I have a pretty big backyard but I dont live in a farm. How many hours would I need to give it excercise i'm on summer vacation and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I need advice for getting a Border Collie?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I need advice for getting a Border Collie?

I need advice for getting a Border Collie? Dog Breed Discussions
      My family and I are planning to get a Border Collie from the shelter, but they are very hyper and I know it wont be easy. I have a pretty big backyard but I dont live in a farm. How many hours would I need to give it excercise i'm on summer vacation and am starting school in 2 months. So please give advice and training tips.Thanks!

I need advice for getting a Border Collie? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It should be walked AT LEAST one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon. You would have to do this after summer vacation too. Having a dog is a commitment for the life of the dog.

• Everyone thinks just because Border Collies are used for herding sheep that they belong on a farm.I say get the little guy, walk him twice a day and let him play in your backyard. Play with him often, example- fetch. They are very loving dogs and as long as you show you are loving him back he'll watch out for you. Try taking him to a park and playing fetch with him sometimes, he'll be fine.

• Well the need at least a hour, I would divide it up throughout the day though to make it easier for you. Maybe a doggy treadmill as well, but that should not take the place of a actual walk. Use that for days that the dog can't be walked (very hot, and otherwise bad weather.) Also boarder collies are a Intelligent breed and will need mental stimulation, walks alone won't cut it.

• Border Collies are runnners, if you don't give it enough exercise then it might run away. You need more than just a "pretty big" back yard.They are working dogs, meaning that they constantly need something to do. This is why they are excellent trick dogs. You can have him pick up dirty laundry, or shut a door. They are very eager to please, and sensitive. If they are not given a task to do, they will revert to their natural instincts of herding by trying to herd small children or other animals. If they are not given enough attention they can become neurotic and destructive.

• Exercise: Walks should be at least an hour long, and at a brisk pace. At least two a day. If you can't take it for a walk, then play time in the yard for at least an hour of tiring exercise would be good. Something like frisbee or fetch. Training: High-energy dogs can be somewhat difficult to train because of their energy level, so actual training should take place when the dog has just finished an exercise session when they're more likely to pay more attention. However, leash training should be done as soon as the walk starts throughout the whole walk.

• This breed is highly instinctive. Coincidentally, both The Border collie and the Newfoundland have been used in the genetic studies of the Human Genome Research Project as the DNA markers for comparison of strong inherited behavioral tendencies. The Border Collie is noted as one of the most intelligent of breeds and is not happy without a job to do. It learns quickly and enjoys the challenge of learning. This is not a dog who will be happy left alone for hours in a house and also should not be left unsupervised in an unfenced area. This dog needs mental and physical stimulation to be happy and healthy.About Border Collies - http://www.dog-pound.net/collie/border-collie-information.htm

• I had a Border Collie puppy about 3 months ago he's now almost 6 months old, and let me tell you.. He has been the most HARDEST work!He constantly needs toys thrown for him, he's been pretty hard to house train (But he's getting there) he NEVER sleeps during the day, he wakes up early in the morning, he LOVES his job (Herding a football being kicked) so I have to do this so many times a day.He just has SO much energy it's unbelievable. I don't think any amount of walks would satisfy a Border Collie as they NEVER run out of energy.He's totally clever though, do some training STRAIGHT AWAY and take him to a dog training class once a week, he will benefit greatly.Just because Border Collies are normally used for herding sheep etc, doesn't mean they HAVE to live on a farm, but it is true that they NEED a job, but this job could be anything from chasing a ball, playing fetch, carrying items etc.. Just like my puppy thinks herding a football is his.Hope this helped.