Is a shock collar the right thing for a Border collie ?

We have new border collie and it keeps chasing our cats and playing with our jack russel terrier when it doesn't want to ands we can't stop him. Do you think a shock coller would be good or something else???Because my parents want to get it for him but i…

We have new border collie and it keeps chasing our cats and playing with our jack russel terrier when it doesn't want to ands we can't stop him. Do you think a shock coller would be good or something else???Because my parents want to get it for him but i…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is a shock collar the right thing for a Border collie ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is a shock collar the right thing for a Border collie ?

Is a shock collar the right thing for a Border collie ? Dog Breed Discussions
      We have new border collie and it keeps chasing our cats and playing with our jack russel terrier when it doesn't want to ands we can't stop him. Do you think a shock coller would be good or something else???Because my parents want to get it for him but i don't i train and he does agility and is in a obedience class. How should i tell my parent that it is a bad idea. He is also learning he doesn't chase the cats as much only when the cat attack him.

Is a shock collar the right thing for a Border collie ? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No matter how many times you electrocute the dog, you can't train out instinct. In your research before getting this breed, you should have found that Border Collies chase things. They are a herding breed and it's what they are bred to do. They also need TONS of stimulation. Why did you get the breed if this is a problem? Sounds like this Border Collie needs a ton more exercise and tasks. Get involved in agility, flyball, frisbee, competitive obedience, or something similar that will help burn his energy. This will also allow you to call him off when he gets too out of control for the other pets. GL!"and is in a obedience class" Then why isn't the dog learning 'leave it' commands? What does the trainer say about the shock collar?

• Not the right thing. I would respectfully suggest you read a couple of books and watch some videos on raising and training dogs. Also, I recommend two TV shows, "The Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Millan on the National Geographic Channel, and "It's Me or the Dog," with Victoria Stillwell, on Animal Planet. Both programs are very instructive and often deal with the issues you raise here. Good luck!

• Shock collars are the lazy man's way to nowhere. You will cause more harm than good using one on a BC.Border's are quick learners. Take the time to show him the rules. I have had cats here before the dogs and a simple "That'll do" or "leave it" made them know I meant business.

• no! sounds like you need to spend some time training the dog. it's a natural reflex for a dog to chase cats or play with other dogs... it's up to you... the dogs behaviors are an extension of your leadership. should we put the collar on you until you understand that?

• NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Border Collies were bred to herd, duh! That's why it's chasing your cats. Didn't you do any research before you got a BC? Please surrender the poor dog to a BC rescue.

• You need to teach your dog a "leave it" or "that'll do" command. Talk to your obedience instructor on how to teach this if you are not sure how to do it.You have a herding dog and your dog is herding the cats. If you really want a good call off, teach your dog to herd for real and then you can help your dog understand what is acceptable and when and what is not acceptable.No, a shock collar is not appropriate for this sort of thing. You need to just take some time to train the dog.