I am looking for some help on Border Collie Diet. What is good food to use for them?

I currently feed my Border Collie Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I think he may need something more since he is a working dog. He seems to run off everything I am feeding him and I am having trouble keeping weight on him. Suggestions welcome. I…

I am looking for some help on Border Collie Diet. What is good food to use for them?

I currently feed my Border Collie Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I think he may need something more since he is a working dog. He seems to run off everything I am feeding him and I am having trouble keeping weight on him. Suggestions welcome. I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I am looking for some help on Border Collie Diet. What is good food to use for them?...

• I am looking for some help on Border Collie Diet. What is good food to use for them?

I am looking for some help on Border Collie Diet. What is good food to use for them? Dog Breed Discussions
      I currently feed my Border Collie Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I think he may need something more since he is a working dog. He seems to run off everything I am feeding him and I am having trouble keeping weight on him. Suggestions welcome. I know they recommend the BARF diet, but I am not sold on that yet.He does not have worms so that isn't an issue.He is one year old. Yes I feed three times a day, 2 cups per feeding.

I am looking for some help on Border Collie Diet. What is good food to use for them? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Try Canidae all life stages.Since he is a working dog he may need to eat more; all the more reason to make sure that what you give him is packed with nutrients and not empty fillers!Just checked the ingredients list for the nutro; after lamb meal, the next 3 ingredients listed are ground rice, rice flour, rice bran, then poultry fat...a quality dog food should have at least two protein sources within the top 5 ingredients; not seeing that here, seeing a lot of rice however, not a lot of nutritional value there...from the nutro website here are the ingredients: Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Whole Brown Rice, Dried Egg Product, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid. Guaranteed Analysis:Crude Protein (minimum) 21.00% Crude Fat (minimum) 12.00% Crude Fiber (maximum) 5.00% Moisture (maximum) 10.00% Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50% Zinc (minimum) 250 mg/kg Vitamin E (minimum) 150 IU/kg Ascorbic Acid (minimum)** 35 mg/kg Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) (minimum)** 0.30% Glucosamine Hydrochloride (minimum)** 450 mg/kg Chondroitin Sulfate (minimum)** 350 mg/kg I'd get him on something with more protein; keep in mind that ingredients are listed in order by weight...there's probably a lot more rice than lamb when you add it all up.How old is he? Are you still feeding 3x a day?http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php/cat/1

• Try Iams, Diamond, Eukanube, Pro plan. Home remideis dont work, if they did, I would make it and be rich! Dog food companies go through tons of paper work to ensure dogs get a proper diet!

• i personally like eukanuba or iams. don't use any of those store brand generic ones. they don't have th proper vitamins your dog needs. puppy food does have more calories than adult food. you maybe can try that

• food brands i would HIGHLY recommend:canidae, wellness, nature's variety, orijenfood brands i would NEVER recommend:science diet, prescription diet, alpo, iams, pedigreetake a look for yourself!http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php/cat/1

• BARF is not good for your dog... It has too much bone...If you want to feed the best diet you can... feed a raw prey model style- that is feeding your dog like the wolf he is. Dogs are carnivores-Canis lupus familiaris. This means your dog should not eat plant matter... dogs lack the enzymes to allow them to digest them- can't get past the cellular walls. So feeding your dog veggies, doesn't do any good.When you feed prey model style it will make a huge difference in your dog. Clean teeth, no bad breath, no dog odor, healthy enough that you rarely go to the vet...www.rawmeatybones.comwww.rawfed.com/mythswww.rawlearning.comThis group is really helpful if you want to know how to feed a raw prey model diet.http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/Good luck!