When people say Bully Dogs what do they mean?

When people say Bully Dogs what do they mean?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : When people say Bully Dogs what do they mean?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When people say Bully Dogs what do they mean?

When people say Bully Dogs what do they mean? Dog Breed Discussions

When people say Bully Dogs what do they mean? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It might be bulldogs, or if you're looking at, say, apartment rules of what can and can't be kept of the property, it might be the "bully breeds" situation. "Bully breeds" is a term used to describe dogs that are traditionally thought of as "aggressive" or "potentially dangerous," like bulldogs, rottweilers, Dobermans, pit bulls, etc. Essentially, the dog breeds that get prejudiced against for having bad reputations.

• Including but not limited to:American Pit Bull TerrierAmerican Staffordshire TerrierAmerican BulldogBull TerrierAmerican Bull Terrier....basically any dog that has a "pit" lookAnd also including,Dogue De Bordeaux (French Mastiff)Other Mastiff BreedsRottweilersGerman ShepherdsEtc.Add: I see a lot of TD's here. But in my area, they have recently started enforcing BSL. The "pit type dogs" are banned, and the latter dogs I listed are on a "watch list." Which, i'm sincerely hoping won't ever pull through since I own 2 of the breeds myself.

• Depends. There is a "hybrid" called a Bully that is a mixture of usually a pitbull and a bulldog that makes what looks a little bit like a hippo... Most people that say Bully dogs, they mean the dogs that are tagged as aggressive, like bulldogs, american pit bull terriers, staffordshire bull terriers, etc.Most people that like bully breeds dislike the hybrid "bully dog"

• Generally if they are calling a dog a bully. They mean the dog has poor manners, and is picking on other dogs.However, if they are referring to a group of dogs then you are looking at a wide variety of breeds that fall into that category.American Pitbull TerriersStaffordshire Bull TerriersAmerican BulldogsEnglish BulldogsBull Terriersetc.These dogs all share similar physical qualities, and tend to fall into the same working dog group. Most were used for baiting and fighting sports or livestock work.

• There's no such thing as a "Boston Bulldog" -- that is a Boston Terrier.Micki is right, this is a term applied to those varieties of breeds that full under the Bulldog umbrella, having had bulldog in their mix to establish the breed (doesn't include other breeds either) These breed varieties were generally used in bull baiting (where the name comes from), bull working (like the American Bulldog, still used in the South of USA to bring down and move bulls today) and pit fighting. Some people might want to include Mastiff varieties, but I'd challenge that since they would generally be grouped as just that, Mastiff varieties (with the exception to the Bullmastiff as this is the direct result of the Mastiff and Bulldog)We're talking about BulldogAPBTAm StaffStaffordshire Bull TerrierFrench BulldogAmerican BulldogOlde English BulldoggeAlapaha Blue Blood BulldogBullmastiff - he's allowed in!Generally, if there's not a "bull" in the name, it's not a bully variety.Those people that mean that a dog IS a bully would phrase it that way, which doesn't mean the same thing.