pitbulls and children?

I want to buy my kids a puppy for christmas(considering it) They are 3 and 4.I was looking at http:www.dogbreedinfo.com , and most of the bulldogs and bull terrier ,including the pitbull,had the highest rating for exellence with children.I was looking…

pitbulls and children?

I want to buy my kids a puppy for christmas(considering it) They are 3 and 4.I was looking at http:www.dogbreedinfo.com , and most of the bulldogs and bull terrier ,including the pitbull,had the highest rating for exellence with children.I was looking…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : pitbulls and children?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• pitbulls and children?

pitbulls and children? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want to buy my kids a puppy for christmas(considering it) They are 3 and 4.I was looking at http:www.dogbreedinfo.com , and most of the bulldogs and bull terrier ,including the pitbull,had the highest rating for exellence with children.I was looking for either an american bully or an alapaha blue blood dog.Any one know by experience how they are with children.And can You really trust a pitbull? I have a hard time finding that they are one of the most "excellent"breeds with CHILDREN at least...?????

pitbulls and children?

pitbulls and children? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Of course they are. Dog aggression and human aggression are two different things, and Pit Bulls are not naturally human aggressive.That said, in order to make sure your dog is completely safe around children you will want to make sure you purchase from a responsible, reputable breeder (check my profile for links on how to spot them), as they will do both health tests and temperament tests to have a happy, healthy dog. Either that, or adopt from a shelter.Training classes would also be great.

• A dogs breed doesnt matter, its the way they are raised. If they are raised to be agressive then they will be that way. I have a rescued pitbull and she's the sweetest thing. She loves when grandma comes over. Dont judge a dog if you dont know it, get to know it for yourself.

• I owned an Alapaha Blue Blood...I don't recommend them. They are smart and protective but mine was also aggressive. I have owned many bull breeds..bullmastiff, bull terrier, staffs, APBT's and Am BullsI would recommend you get an American Pit Bull Terrier...preferably bred down from game dogs...they are the best dogs I have ever had around my kids...I have 3 APBT's and one that is a Certified Therapy Dog :-)My kids are 6 and 11 now and they have been around APBT's their whole life...narry a lip has been raised at them :) They are big babies, very tolerant and also very careful with their human babies.

• Pits are great with children... I have never owned one but I have been around them. My dads boss used to go fishing with us when I was like 6. I still remember my mom telling me to be carefull around his White Pitbull Whiteface. Whiteface was the sweetest, gentlest dog ever and from that point in my life, despite my mothers words....I knew I loved Pits.

• just get a dog that suits your lifestyle best as far as dealing with kids u migth want a low energy dog. the problem with a pitbull is that they are very high strung. and if u get one make sure it is a lagitimate breeder because if they are bred for fighting(which is bad) then they can be aggressive towards your children. try maybe a lab or border collie. they just need the rigth excercise and training and they will be fine.

• hi,The American Pit Bull Terrier is a companion and family dog. Originally bred to "bait" bulls, the breed evolved into all-around farm dogs, and later moved into the house to become "nanny dogs" because they were so gentle around children. Their tenacity, gameness, and courage make them popular competitors in the sports of weight pulling, agility, and obedience competition.here's more info:http://dogtime.com/american-pit-bull-terrier.htmlhope this helps.

• Absolutely you can trust a pit bull with children! Pit bulls can be very dog aggressive, but not at all human aggressive. Those are two different things. The best family dogs I've ever seen have been rescued Pit Bulls from the local animal shelter. They seem naturally drawn to children and have the right balance between gentle and energetic to be excellent family pets!http://www.pitbulllovers.com/training-articles/can-pit-bulls-be-safe-with-kids.htmlHere's a great resource if you aren't convinced, but I hope that if you do decide on a puppy, you wait for a stress-free time (after the holidays) and that you consider a beautiful Pit Bull pup for your family. After all, check out this face!http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16/PitBullHannahBone.JPGGood luck.

• Pit bulls are great dogs. they are sweet, smart, and affectionate. they are only aggressive when trained to be aggressive. People often buy pitbulls to fight, or to be guard dogs, so they are meant to be aggressive and scary, and those are the dogs you hear about on the news and stuff like that. pit bulls are excellent dogs if they are raised correctly. bottom line, if you love the pitbull it will love you back, and they are great dogs to have around kids

• mine is great with kids. ofcourse, never leave any dog unattended with a small child, but that beind said APBTs are pretty calm. they love attention and don't mind being a play toy. mine recently learned that kids also like to share food. like hot dogs. now she loves kids even more. i dont have any videos of her playing with kids, but i do have one of her playing with my cat. or rather my cat attacking her and she just plays. its about a year old, their relationship has a deeper one-sidedness now. mostly she tries to spoon with the cat and the cat tries to eat her. she acts about the same with kids though. she also follows kids commands better than id expected. all the kids in my husbands family love it when she comes to christmas becuase the can make her do all her tricks etc. if you look up the history of the breed, they were called the nanny dog in eng. because of there gentle manner with kids.as far as breeds go, i've been bitten twice. both times by a shiitzhu. my dog has been attacked 3 times (non serious). once by a shiitzhu (this rodent is a family dog unfortunately so we've all suffered the wrath). oncy by a schnauser at a dog park that didn't like other dogs. and once by a pomeranian in a pet store (the store owners dog, who also doesnt like other dogs). in my experience, its just like little man syndrome. smaller dogs are more aggressive by a long shot, just no one ever notices because they wont take your leg off if they bite you.

• We have had pits forever. We bought a female when our daughter was born and they are extremely close. She is a very well mannered dog. Any dog can be good or bad with kids. It all depends on how you raise them around your kids. It's best to get one that is young so the kids can "grow" up together and form a bond. The older ones tend to not get along with kids if they were never around them. We have never had any problem with ours. My parents have a cocker and that thing is touch and go with kids.

• First, it is a really really bad idea to give a puppy as a gift. Christmas is a very busy time, with visitors coming and going and possibly you and your family leaving to visit family.A puppy is going to need a lot of attention, need to get vaccinated, need to begin getting housebroken and to be on type of schedule with sleeping and eating. Something not possible during the holidays.Second, would you buy a car over the internet? Why would you purchase an animal, that is going to be with your for possibly 13 years, sight unseen. This is a disaster waiting to happen. You don't know anything about the breeder, the dogs he breeds, their health and lastly, their temperments. Anyone who is selling pups at Christmas time, as a Christmas gift over the internet is an irresponsible breeder looking for a quick buck. Get your kids something else.

• Im sorry but I would never buy a pit for a child !! 50yrs ago maybe but with all the so called breeders today the bloodlines r screwed up!!and if you have homeowners Ins you could be dropped if they find out you have a pit ? I see all the answers your getting and cant believe the ignorance. I have owned rotties shepherds akitas dobemans and you can have them around kids but dont take your eyes off them. YOU DONT BUY A ADULT DOG FOR A KID YOU BUY A KID DOG FOR A KID end of story . Talk to your local vet he or she's educated !!