What are English Bulldogs Bred For?

The can't do much defending. The are slow. They are lazy and stubborn. The can't swim. They aren't much for looking. They can't even lick themselves (down there). So since they weren't bred for beauty or work, what WERE they bred for? Because…

The can't do much defending. The are slow. They are lazy and stubborn. The can't swim. They aren't much for looking. They can't even lick themselves (down there). So since they weren't bred for beauty or work, what WERE they bred for? Because…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are English Bulldogs Bred For?...

• What are English Bulldogs Bred For?

What are English Bulldogs Bred For? Dog Breed Discussions
      The can't do much defending. The are slow. They are lazy and stubborn. The can't swim. They aren't much for looking. They can't even lick themselves (down there). So since they weren't bred for beauty or work, what WERE they bred for? Because every breed of Dog has a purpose. What's the english bulldogs?

What are English Bulldogs Bred For? Dog Breed Discussions
    • they are too cute!!! thats what...and who says ALL english bulldogs are lazy and stubborn?? I have an English/Pit mix and she is too fun to be around (her mother is English and she is a VERY playful dog) If you train a dog to do something then they will i promise...maybe you just haven't took up enough time with it yet...

• Bull Dogs were all once used as German Hunting dogs. And were taken by other countries. Now English Bulldogs were once really mean and were almost extinct. But a man used selective breeding to make a kinder one. They are bred for companionship.

• They were bred for Bull baiting and bear baitinga gambling sport popular in the 17th century with wagers laid in which trained bulldogs leapt at a bull/bear lashed to a post, latched onto its snout and attempted to suffocate it.

• Well, the English bulldog today is a bit more squat and less mobile than he was in the past. They used to look more like the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog:www.canadasguidetodogs.com/alapaha.htmThey were created from the mastiff line to fight in the pit, just like "pit bulls," which are Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, and American Staffordshire Terriers. These dogs were created with the sole purpose of fighting bears, lions and other large cats, and of course, bulls. When people no longer enjoyed and outlawed this "sport," the dogs were pitted against each other - and still are to this day, I'm sad to say.So the English bulldog has been, I will say, "distorted" from the original body frame. In fact, most bulldogs require artificial insemination and Caeserian sections because their bodies are not fit for giving birth naturally. I'd say that is cause to change the breed standard to a more natural one, but I doubt it will change.You're right - they have a lot of health problems, they're brachialcephalic (problems with the windpipe and snout length) and are more prone to overheating and snoring, they have skeletal problems, jaw problems . . . don't get me wrong, I find them quite engaging, but there could be much done to improve the breed to where it was in the past.

• Technically just as a pet. The original breed more like the Alphalpha, American Bulldog and Bulldogge who knows the actual original breed (??) was bred for bull baiting.Yes, the Bulldog is ugly but that is why I like them. They are so ugly they are cute and cool.

• They were bred for bull baiting. Their job was to attack and grab and hold the bull.The pushed-in face is so that they can breathe while keeping their grip on the bull.The wrinkles are to drain the bull's blood away from their eyes and nose.The heavy front end and light back end are to make it harder for the bull to shake him off, since most of the weight is close to the bull and not out at the end of the dog.The short legs, small ears and stubby tail are to minimize injury to these areas.The Bulldog standard specifically states:"Dogs showing respiratory distress are highly undesireable"and that they should be "In hard condition with no tendency towards obesity"