Dog for me, Best dog for me, breed best for me??

wanna large to giant size breed. I would like a VERY LOYAL breed. And a dog that is relatively easy to train. I want it to be good with children. The children are 7, 13 and 15. They know how to behave around dogs. Also the7 year old is autistic, and i…

wanna large to giant size breed. I would like a VERY LOYAL breed. And a dog that is relatively easy to train. I want it to be good with children. The children are 7, 13 and 15. They know how to behave around dogs. Also the7 year old is autistic, and i…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Dog for me, Best dog for me, breed best for me??...

• Dog for me, Best dog for me, breed best for me??

Dog for me, Best dog for me, breed best for me?? Dog Breed Discussions
      wanna large to giant size breed. I would like a VERY LOYAL breed. And a dog that is relatively easy to train. I want it to be good with children. The children are 7, 13 and 15. They know how to behave around dogs. Also the7 year old is autistic, and i want a dog that is good to be an all around working service and therapy dog. Also we have a small yard, BUT.... also have a park that we walk to every day and also an acre of free land across the street. And we would like to take the dog to petsmart and pet supermarket. Also give people like school kids with autism something to look forward to. We feel we can control a dominating dog as we have owned a doberman chow mix once. Also i would like the dog to be a Watch dog. I know the difference between a guard and watch dog. I want a large to giant sized dog. Thank you in advance. PLEASE Dont reccomend a lab or golden. There to popular and not big anough. Only reccomend large to giant sized dogs.

Dog for me, Best dog for me, breed best for me?? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You have very high expectations, and you're being a bit picky. I was going to suggest a Golden Retriever, but until I saw one of your last requests, I decided against it. Why does it matter if they are are popular? They are popular, because they are great dogs. And I think that personality and temperment is more important in a dog than size.

• I have worked with alot of autistic kids and wouldn't recommend getting a large dog with one. If he does something socially inappropriate (hurts the dog etc) as autistic kids often do without understanding then the dog may snap and hurt him. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htmthis page lists breeds best with kids- if you are going to get one I recommend one rated a "1". Alano EspañolAlapaha Blue Blood BulldogAmerican bulldogAmerican MastiffAmerican PittBull TerrierAustralian bulldog- I'll let you go through the list- but be careful.

• I'd rethink the whole "no Lab" deal.You'd be surprised at how big they can get. Our last lab we had, surpassed 95 pounds, and was still healthy - not overweight.They are perfect for what you've asked: friendly, intelligent, extremely loyal, excellent around children of ALL ages, etc.I currently own 2 - that's how much I love them, and I'd never even think of getting another breed. So yes, I may be a bit biased, but let's just say that they're a popular breed for a reason.

• I think you should try the humane society, local shelter, or ASPCA first before you go buy a purebred dog. Purebreds can also have problems. Your being picky and have some high expectations. Mixed breed dogs can be wonderful pets and very loving, sweet, playful, etc. I don't think it should matter either whether the dog is popular either.If you must though buy a purebred, Great Danes are great dogs.

• I would recommend a mastiff for you! They suit all of the needs that you listed above! I found a website for you to check out to learn more about this breed! And, there is a picture of on on the site! I hope that this helps! Thanks, and good luck! Here is the site link:http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogprofile.do?id=2460Thanks, and good luck,~ Future Vet

• Well I don't know why you just don't get a pure bread doberman. We have one and so do others in our family. Ours and the others we know are great w/ all the kids. Us personally have had her even since our children were born. She is very loyal and of course a good watch dog. People just have to see her and that is enough. We always have different children and other dogs over and she gets along great with everyone, visiting dogs too. We also don't have a large yard but we just walk her just about everyday. The only thing bad is that some people don't give her a chance and are too afraid of her, as she really is gentle.

• You should check out the Anatolian Shepard. They are awesome dogs. Mature about 100-140 lbs. They're excellent with kids yet protective of them. Get a puppy so it can grow up with the family. Here's a link:http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/anatolianshepherd.htmI'd consider one for our family, but the life span of giant dogs is too short for us right now with young kids.

• i have a border collie mixed pyrenesse, he is loyal and has two parts of great breeds.collies are so smart and will be able to learn to care for your autistic child, they also have a protective sense in them, to protect their sheep, and will be very loyal to protect the family. anything from the herding family is what you want. also look into australin shepards and rough and smooth collies, and look into all sorts of dog fancy mags until you find somthing you really like.i really recomend this book, i loved it, but couldnt finish it because it was so sad sometimes when such a great dog would die. http://www.amazon.com/Compassion-Dogs-Stories-Courage-Kindness/dp/076153590X/ref=sr_1_1/105-3141495-6906017?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186621206&sr=1-1 mabey you might find a story about a dog and find a love for the breed.i suggest a purebred, unless it is a mutt of 2 great breeds and like both qualitys. if you want speciphic traits, thats waht purebreds are for.

• I would recomend something like a mastiff, newfoundland, or great dane. They're all quite large and laid back. I saw that alot of people said siberian huskies but those can have alot of energy and need alot of exercise (probably more than it could get with a small yard)

• Good for you for doing your research!A gentle giant like a Great Dane makes a wonderful therapy dog, or if you want a really furry dog, A Great Pyrenees is gentle, loyal, and docile like the Golden Retriever, without so much energy and overbreeding. And a good watch dog, protective dog is the BullMastiff or another Mastiff. Some of the Mastiffs are considered to be very good around Children, while remaining protective, loyal, and loving to their children.Good luck with your search!