Could you name the different breeds covered by the term "Pit Bull"?

I am doing some research on this group of dogs and I know there are several. I also know most people think of the APBT as the true "Bully" of this group. I have heard that there are ten within the category and I have heard also there are less than that,…

I am doing some research on this group of dogs and I know there are several. I also know most people think of the APBT as the true "Bully" of this group. I have heard that there are ten within the category and I have heard also there are less than that,…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Could you name the different breeds covered by the term "Pit Bull"?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Could you name the different breeds covered by the term "Pit Bull"?

Could you name the different breeds covered by the term "Pit Bull"? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am doing some research on this group of dogs and I know there are several. I also know most people think of the APBT as the true "Bully" of this group. I have heard that there are ten within the category and I have heard also there are less than that, so I would like to get some varied opinions and see if there are any I am missing here. I have searched the web and while there are plenty of resources, I have not seen a site that lists as many as I have been told exist. If you have a site that does this, please include it in your response. Thank You in advance for sharing your knowledge.doggyluv... You are saying the exact same thing I thought and have found. I have no clue where some of these sites came up with ten. Thanks. I guess I need to give the answer some time, but I really thought I was losing my mind before you responded, so thank you so much.

Could you name the different breeds covered by the term "Pit Bull"? Dog Breed Discussions
    • American pit bull terrier, American staffordshire terrier, and staffordshire bull terrier. there are also a multitude of breeds mistaken for pit bulls such as: American Bulldog Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog Boerboel Boxer Bullmastiff Ca de Bou Cane Corso Dogo Catahoula Bulldog Cane Corso English Bulldog Labrador Retriever Olde Boston Bulldog Presa Canario Rhodesian Ridgeback Tosa Inu American Allaunt American Bandogge Bandog American Mastiff Fila Brasileiro Alano Espanol Saint Bernard Rottweiler

• It depends on who is doing the classifying. These breeds are always included in the classification: American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and mixes therof. These breeds are also grouped under this heading by almost all legislation referring to 'Pit Bull type breeds': American Bulldog, Bull Terrier.These breeds are commonly mistaken for Pit Bulls, and dogs of these breeds are commonly included as pit bulls in bite statistic reporting because of mistaken identity: Tosa Inu, Bull Mastiff, Dogo Argentino, Dogue de Bordeaux, Fila Brasilero, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Presa Canario, Labrador Retrievers (those with blocky heads), Black Mouth Cur, Cane Corso, Patterdale Terrier, Rottweiler, Boxers, and mixes of all these breeds, plus I'm sure many others I've overlooked. For some reason Pointer mixes are also commonly misreported as Pit Bulls on bite incident reports.

• There are many breeds wrongly placed under the pit bull umbrella.There is only 1 pit bull...the only breed with those exact words in it's name...the American Pit Bull Terrier.The media and JQP lumped them all together because they don't know any better.