Can you find a rare breed of dog at the pound or shelter?

Hi!!!I have always wanted a <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-alaskan-klee-kai/">Alaskan Klee Kai</a> and i was wandering if they sell them at the dog pound or shelter because they are kinda a new breed.

Hi!!!I have always wanted a <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-alaskan-klee-kai/">Alaskan Klee Kai</a> and i was wandering if they sell them at the dog pound or shelter because they are kinda a new breed....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can you find a rare breed of dog at the pound or shelter?...

• Can you find a rare breed of dog at the pound or shelter?

Can you find a rare breed of dog at the pound or shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi!!!I have always wanted a Alaskan Klee Kai and i was wandering if they sell them at the dog pound or shelter because they are kinda a new breed.

Can you find a rare breed of dog at the pound or shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
    • That's a REALLY rare beed. Most breeds have rescue organizations. Go to the American Kennel Club web site, then the breed page, and see if they have one. Those organizations will track specific breeds in humane societies and that sort of thing.

• idk about that specific breed but there are shelters that take in specific breeds and sell them to take some strain off of the aspca but you will pay more for them because they are private organizations

• Animals shelters don't "sell" dogs. They adopt out dogs. It's not like the shelter goes to a big dog warehouse and chooses certain dogs they want to sell. They adopt out whatever they get in (provided it's healthy, non-aggressive, etc). If the shelter gets only golden retrievers surrendered to them then a lot of golden retrievers will be available for adoption. Pure-bred and more specifically rare pure-breds are not likely to turn up in a shelter. If you spend that much money on your dog, chances are you take good care of your dogs and wouldn't surrender it or let it run loose and get picked up by animal control. (Not implying that only bad owners dogs get loose, sometimes it happens, dogs jump fences, run through electric fences, etc.)

• Did you browse dogs on petfinder.com? If not, try it.Honestly though, I have always wanted a Dalmatian since I was a kid, then I went to a shelter and fell in LOVE with my dog who is a Golden Retriever and some terrier mix. I wouldn't trade him for all Dalmatians in the world. Just go there with nothing on mind. Getting a dog is like dating guys, you might meet a dog you'll like more than your 'type' (breed! :) )

• You can call a few shelters where you live and see, but I doubt it, shelters mostly have mixed breeds. I have a breed that pretty rare where I live from the shelter, he`s a BlueTick CoonHound.