Need help on what breed of dog to buy, yes buy i'm sorry?

I really shouldn't have to apologize to the people on here but some folks in this section on here are way too critical, impossible to please and way too assuming and judgmental but I won't complain. I might seem a little naive to some aspects of dog…

I really shouldn't have to apologize to the people on here but some folks in this section on here are way too critical, impossible to please and way too assuming and judgmental but I won't complain. I might seem a little naive to some aspects of dog…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Need help on what breed of dog to buy, yes buy i'm sorry?...

• Need help on what breed of dog to buy, yes buy i'm sorry?

Need help on what breed of dog to buy, yes buy i'm sorry? Dog Breed Discussions
      I really shouldn't have to apologize to the people on here but some folks in this section on here are way too critical, impossible to please and way too assuming and judgmental but I won't complain. I might seem a little naive to some aspects of dog owning but perhaps that's because this will be my FIRST DOG. Anyway here is my situation, we have narrowed the breed selection down to a select few but still welcome any suggestions or advice. Please please please do not simply list your favorite breed or a dog that was perfect for you. Everyone is an individual. That's about it for my little speech. Here is my situation:Me and my fiancee are unable to have kids, I feel it's time to add to our family and as we cannot have a child I want a companion pet. Cats are not on the list,fish are not really companion animals at all,lizards the same,guinea pigs smelly, and birds do on interest us. We want a dog and unfortunately as much as i'd love to adopt as many animals sit in shelters I wish to have a purebred dog from a reliable,safe,certified, and humane breeder. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment in Folsom, California. Our winters are very cold (35 - 51 degrees F) and our summers very hot (85 - 105 F) I do not mind a dog that is lazy, but it also works in the sense that I also love to exercise so I feel that increases our options. I run about an hour a day, and walk to the gym on the weekends. We have plenty of time to spend with our pet and it should only be alone solely on its own for one day out of the week for about three or four hours. I want a dog that will love to sit on the couch and watch T.V with us. My fiancee loves the Alaskan Klee Kai's, I am partial to loving chubby little dogs like the French Bulldog, and also love the English Bulldog. We have also considered an Australian Terrier. I want a dog that will be fairly easy to train NOT TO BARK. I know if improperly trained dogs will bark but I truly want a low barking breed. So which of the following listed is likely to be the most quiet, least barking dog. Please do not act bitter that I have narrowed and focused so much on breeds and please only consider the dogs I have listed. Feel free to offer your input and suggestions but of these which is the lowest shedding,QUIETEST, and friendliest best choice for me and Jessica. 1. Alaskan Klee Kai ( I hear they are barkers, may be a factor)2. American Eskimo Dog (Miniature)2. Australian Terrier3. English Bulldog4. French Bulldog5. Havanese6. Pekingnese 7. Scottish Terrier8. Yorkshire Terrier * NOTE the dog can be a LAZY breed. I do not need the dog to be able to walk with me but if it's a breed that requires exercise then that's perfect. My fiancee stays at home so she can play and interact with them while I am out.

Need help on what breed of dog to buy, yes buy i'm sorry? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Get a border Collie or pure bred collie. The lures have a very long cost of hair. The border collies are very nice . Best dogs ever, so loyal an sooo pretty. They are the nicest dogs out there and so loving. It's not on your list but search it sometime.. :)

• Terriers tend to be yippy. My personal favorites are the chocolate labs because they're very personable and also protective but not in a "I'm gonna bark at everything I hear" kinda way. They're low maintenance and loyal dogs.

• I would go for a French bulldog. Seems to fit everything you are looking for. They are very smart and both lazy and active, lol if that makes any sense. I hope this helps :) and don't worry about what anyone says about where you get your dog from.

• Not sure why you had a fit about the word 'buy' you do buy dogs.Breeders dont just give them awayAnyway you could adopt a child if you wanted kids...but yeah on to the dogs...And guinea pigs arent that smelly. Less smelly than dogs. There is no way to tell that your dog wont bark.If you dont like barking do not get a dog.Some breeds are quieter than others, but the actual individual dog you get, doesnt always fit the norm.What will you do if the dog you get is a barker?Think of that before you go any furtherAs for breeds Terriers are generally snappy and yappy. So avoidEskimo dog sounds like it wont like the heat you have where you are.So a havanese or pekingnese

• I dont know much about most of the breeds you listed but i thought i would share, I've heard quite a few people comment on the American Eskimo Dog saying its a hard breed to train...Wether this is true or not?..but i just thought i'd share :)ADD: the barking amount really would depend on the dog...I have 2 Pug x JR's. One barks alot and the other one doesnt.

• I am not going to criticize you. everyone have their own choice but I just going to ask you one questions why are you going to buy a dog from a breader instead of going to the shelter and save a life of one abandon animals, have you hear how dog breeders abuse animals and all the poor animals have to go trought to get to the store, plus you pay thousans of dollars please stop the breaders they just do it for the money not for the love of animals, Shelter have all kinds of dogs and pure breed to please save a life just for your information pure breeds get more sick instead mix dogs hardly get sick Google it you be susprise

• you guys definatly need a shar pei! They are expensive, buy worth every cent! They will become your kids!!. They are so smart you can have conversations with them. well almost! they are obiedant. they dont shed too much, they have short hair ones. they bark when they need to bark. very loyal. try 2! trust me.....you will LOVE a shar pei!

• A toy/miniature poodle, i have both breeds of poodles and they're so cute, but toy poodles seem to bark more though!! it's kinda annoying but it's not extremely annoying. Also i think you should get a chihuahua, they're so cute too and they don't bark much.Good luck choosing and have a very merry xmas :)

• Ive always wanted a bulldog but my BF's dream dog was a bull mastiff which is a very big dog. He is extremely lovable, he get's along with everyone, including little dogs who have bitten him in the face because their offended on how big he is, he loves to playy but he also LOVES his sleep. He's only hyper when he's outside in a wide area and they are known to be a watch dog. If your not looking for a BIG dog i would suggest english bulldog or french because they are similar to my dog considering their from the same family so you might get similar results if interested. They are also very adorableeee. Hope this helped you.

• Any terrier yaps and is very hard to train otherwise,a yorkie is more rodent than dog.I would go for a German shepherd,they are true companionsAnd could be trained to do almost anything.they bond with their owners like no other breed,but they tend to get over protective of the family and home if not thaught otherwise.and yes,go and buy one from a good breeder..

• Have you taken actual breed choosing tests? This seems like such a "mixed bag" of breeds, quite different from one another. You have a lot of terriers - which TEND to be yappy & a lot of really small dogs, not to mention dogs TOTALLY unsuitable for running/jogging (Bulldogs, Peke, Yorkie). A number have a LOT of coat, that can be VERY problematic in your summers. Many require extensive & expensive.... grooming. Dogs of nearly all sizes, like to cuddle/ sit on furniture, if allowed to do so. (They are NOT allowed to do so, in my house, because it frequently affects behavior, in a NOT so positive way.) Instead, I get on the floor with THEM and my furniture doesn't smell doggy or cause visitors to get up covered in dog hair.As another person asked - what will you do (if despite all your efforts) your dog is barky/yappy? If you live in an apartment (surrounded by more apartments) your dog will hear a LOT of noises 24/7. Can you be thrown out, or forced to give up your dog, if it is too noisy? Who decides that? Are you restricted by your rental agreement, only to have small dogs?What about a Basenji? Shorter coat, better suited to heat, can be a jogger, is very quiet (although not truly bark less). What about a Whippet? Super-easy care coat, great for your summers, can be super-lazy/cuddly but can also be very active outdoors - would make a good running partner (so would a much larger Greyhound). Both are VERY QUIET dogs (non-protective) considered excellent for apartments. Your winters are very mild, but if the dog needed warmth, a sweater or dog coat would be plenty on those 32 degree days.While I have nothing against your buying from a reputable breeder - are you AWARE that many purebred rescue groups exist? Unlike most shelters, the dogs are fostered in private homes, housebroken, crate-trained, fully vetted (fixed, shots, heartworm) and temperament-tested around kids, & other pets before being offered for adoption. Retired, racing greyhounds are widely available.Just choose a breed and check www.petfinder.com for a look at adults, in YOUR area. Geez, I sound like one of those late-night commercials, for singles...

• Okay let me see if I can give you some advice.1. I never recommend Terriers as a starter dog. The reason why is they can be harder to train, they also tend to be willful and not as forgiving of error as some of the other breeds. I have often seen them take the alpha roll in the households that are not experienced dog owners. Also they are Barkers!2. Alaskan Klee Kai - These dogs are cute I see them everywhere but they are mini alaskan huskies, alaskan huskies tend to not do well on their own, they bark a lot, and never stop moving so I would say this won't be a good fit for you.3. Bulldogs: Both the French and English bulldogs are great companion animals very affectionate however they also require a very alpha leader in the household, so again I would not recommend as a starter breed. Also there are a lot of health issues associated with this breed, even from great breeders. Skin conditions and breathing problems are not uncommon and if you go with one these I highly suggest working with a trainer and please make sure to keep the dog fit and not allow it to get over weight as this can very much compound or start some of the health issues associated with these breeds.4. Havanese are gentle kind smart and good all around family dogs, however they do best with calm and softspoken people as they are very sensitive. They hate when their owners fight or argue, it causes them a great deal of stress. So if you guys are calm people this could work out very well. 5. Pekingese can become very easily spoiled and you really need to establish your boundaries with them otherwise they will start walking all over you. They can also be very hard to housebreak so I would not recommend these as a starter breed.6. American Eskimo: I just recommend you don't get one of these dogs, they can be aggressive if not trained properly, they are not easy to train and also can be standoffish. I have worked with 6 of them now who were surrendered over rescue none of them were easy to re-train, or easy to find a home for. I have met many, they are very common in my state, only two that I know are happy healthy dogs with no to little issues. These are the two breeds I would suggest for you.Bichon Frise: Downsize their coat can be a night mare to deal with! Don't let these little guys fool you, they are great activity partners, they are not yappers and tend to be affectionate with everyone. They have very kind souls and love their people to death. I use to own and he went back packing, camping and swimming with me. We hiked 3 miles a day. He never wore out. They are easy to train, and tend to be pretty settled and calm in the home. I highly recommend this breed to you it seems to suit all of your description of what you are looking for. Miniature Australian Shepard: Okay down side you need to stimulate them mentally and physically otherwise they can become destructive if left too long alone. Upside is these guys are lively fun and easy to train and work with. They act like a big dog and are just stunning to look at. They tend to not be barkers, but if you are looking for a dog to workout with you, this will be no problem also you can take up frisbee or agilty with them and they excel at both. They are great little dogs, and also tend to be calm in the house as long as they have had their walk. They can have some issues if not trained properly so I would recommend reading about training them before getting one. However they also need a job, this could be a simply as teaching them to play frisbee. They are a very fun first dog to have around. I would highly recommend them over the Alaskan Klee Kai or the American Eskimo. I personally know many of these little guys and have never come across one I didn't like. Okay this is my advise to you I have worked in Rescue for 5 years been a dog owner since I was 7. I own an Akita and three working border collies all trained by myself. I am an evaluator for new dogs coming into rescue and I am the aggressive dog trainer for the rescue I work with. Previous to this I spent a lot of time matching up our dogs with the right families. So I know a little about this stuff ;). Good luck with your new addition! Wish you all the best.

• A reputable breeder can certainly be a good way to go, but make sure you look up all the possible genetic problems of the breed you finally decide on, and make sure the breeder does all the applicable tests. Often breeders will talk about how healthy and wonderfully temperamented their dogs are, but have no actual proof. You may not be aware of it but, statistically, a mutt is more likely to be healthy than a purebred dog. Stay away from Bulldogs, Pugs, and all the flat faced breeds, as they have serious breathing and overheating problems. Any terrier is likely to bark. I don't know much about Alaskan Klee Klai's. American Eskimo Dogs are supposed to be very intelligent and easy to train, but I have no personal knowledge of them. It sounds like a good dog for you might be a spaniel or lab. Have you tried using a breed selector like this? http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/questionnaire/page1.html?question=1 It seems like you have a pretty wide variety of breeds here.

• Whatever breed you chose, do try and find a purebred rescue.They do exist. The dogs are trained and tested to make sure they are worthy of adoption and they are kept in foster homes, not a loud shelter.Sure, you can go buy a brand new puppy from a breeder, but what about adopting a young-adult purebred? 1-3 years old, house broken, trained, and mature enough to not have temperament surprises. You don't have to go through the frustration of training a newborn puppy. Yes, puppies are cute, but for a first time dog owner its probably better to go with a young adult.Little dogs and terriers like to bark.English bulldogs have A LOT of health issues, as do French Bulldogs.Try a few 'breed selector' quizzes. There's one on the Animal Planet site that links to good information on each breed. You might discover a breed you never considered is the perfect fit.