What is the best dog breed to use for agility?

Border Collies excel and dominate the sport. BUT- people getting BCs who haven't had BCs before, and especially those who haven't done agility before, tend to do very poorly with BCs- more poorly than they would have done with a different breed. Many…

Border Collies excel and dominate the sport. BUT- people getting BCs who haven't had BCs before, and especially those who haven't done agility before, tend to do very poorly with BCs- more poorly than they would have done with a different breed. Many…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best dog breed to use for agility?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best dog breed to use for agility?

What is the best dog breed to use for agility? General Dog Discussions
      Border Collies excel and dominate the sport. BUT- people getting BCs who haven't had BCs before, and especially those who haven't done agility before, tend to do very poorly with BCs- more poorly than they would have done with a different breed. Many of them drop out, and the dogs either end up languishing in a non-agility home, or going to an instructor or more experienced handler- who may actually do well with the dog. For people getting a dog to do agility, I recommend going with a breed they already have, or going with a sporting dog- quite a few Cockers doing very well, and you don't have as many HD issues seen in GRs and Labs. Mini- poodles are another good bet- they tend to overjump, but not usually a problem for them. Shelties are great if you are used to them, but many are timid and some are just too much dog for a novice handler. JRTs are a great option if you are willing to deal with a terrier mentality.

What is the best dog breed to use for agility? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends on the jump height group.Athletic breeds with a lot of drive and a desire to work with and for their person.Border Collies, Aussies, Shelties, Jack Russels, Papillons, Corgis are hot numbers. But there are individual dogs among the "less popular" agility breeds that are dynamite! Training and ability to handle are paramount. I have seen Goldens and Tervs kick BC b#**s. My daughter's field bred Lab is almost unbeatable when he runs clean.I have BCs amble through courses and have seen them uncontrollable by their handlers.There are many, many mixes out there that rather "reign".The first most important aspect of an agility dog is that it first is the right dog for companionship and "livability".

• For agility I see alot of Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, & Shetland Sheepdogs. Those breeds are usually fast, smart, and filled with TONS of energy which makes them GREAT for agility!