How can I tell if my adopted 85 pound female white husky mix puppy is a wolf hybrid?

She's almost 2 years old and although she is very sweet and playful, she is wild and doesn't know her own strength. We're going to try a manners class.My kids and I love her but I have to be careful that she doesn't hurt them without meaning too.

How can I tell if my adopted 85 pound female white husky mix puppy is a wolf hybrid?

She's almost 2 years old and although she is very sweet and playful, she is wild and doesn't know her own strength. We're going to try a manners class.My kids and I love her but I have to be careful that she doesn't hurt them without meaning too....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I tell if my adopted 85 pound female white husky mix puppy is a wolf hybrid?...

• How can I tell if my adopted 85 pound female white husky mix puppy is a wolf hybrid?

How can I tell if my adopted 85 pound female white husky mix puppy is a wolf hybrid? Dog Breed Discussions
      She's almost 2 years old and although she is very sweet and playful, she is wild and doesn't know her own strength. We're going to try a manners class.My kids and I love her but I have to be careful that she doesn't hurt them without meaning too.

How can I tell if my adopted 85 pound female white husky mix puppy is a wolf hybrid? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Are wolves common in your area naturally? Are they legal to own where you live? No and No? Then odds are she is nothing more than an untrained husky mix.ETA: huskies are not closer to wolves than any other breed and this has been proven.

• I can promise you, your Siberian Husky is *not* a wolf hybrid. Wolf hybrids are rare, most owners that claim their domesticated dog's are wolf hybrids are 99% of the time NOT. Siberian Husky's have extremely high prey drives, immense amounts of energy, and they are master escape artists. You are providing this dog with three to five miles of intense runs daily, aren't you? Because this is what this breed requires to be content and to avoid destruction of your household from the dog. She is "wild" because she is lacking the exercise she greatly requires and you didn't bother to train/discipline her properly, if at all. Oh and i forgot to mention Siberian Husky's are exceedingly stubborn and difficult to train. I am assuming you did *ZERO* research on this breed, and i can assure you, you will be finding a new home for this dog within in a month, if that.

• Huskies has more wolf DNA than other dogs. Normally, huskies are roaming the ice where wolves might live. Cross breed happens and the pup gets captured but it takes some doggy generations before they are captured. Yet, all huskies have the wolf hybrid. The DNA is still very high if the dog is wild since it is hard to train wild animals.

• I would not have a dog around my children if "I have to be careful she doesn't hurt them without meaning too".Do you know how quickly things can happen? Exactly in a heartbeat.............

• Not enough exercise or activity that can wash her energy down to zero. Dogs like huskies who has great strength and stamina, needs to exercise a lot and wash out all of the energy it had, otherwise it'll be restless and wild

• huskies do have a lot of wolf in them and they are pretty close with their habits and instincts.we had a wolf hybrid as a kid and he was loyal to the family but was extremly protective against all outsiders. he would bow to my dad when he entered a room.gulp water instead of lapping,he would kill chichens or fowl of any kind in the yard and roam the house at night to check up on everyone.he was big and weighed around 100 lbs just like my husky now. with ur girl try to teach her the rules when playing and calm her down when she gets rough by making her sit and stay then after a few minutes call her back into the game.my guy is almost 10 and he has always been laid back but as a pup he loved to run and play and got along with other dogs. good luck

• Thats sounds like a Husky to a T. They require quite a bit of training and excercise and mental stimulation to be a good dog (I owned them growing up) and because of this they are often ditched at shelters when they become too much to handle. They can also be very independant. Manners class is good, just work with a trainer if your not sure where to start. I doubt she has wolf in her but anything is possible. Either way it sounds like shes acting just like a normal husky. They are a handful but can be great dogs when properly trained.

• I see this alot on here. 99% chance your dog is not a wolf mix, ok? Huskies and Malamutes (and to a lesser degree Finnish Spitz and Klee Kais, etc) behave like this- sometimes they are "wild" when compared to your golden retrievers or labs.She is most lcertainly not purebred Siberian, because siberians breed standard have their weights topping out around 60lbs (for exceedingly rare large specimens of the breed!) So to have a dog 25lbs larger than the breed standard seems fishy to me--- which is why I think you have a Husky/Malamute mixI have 2 Alaskan Malamutes, one is AKC registered and the other is not (the AKC registered one is 72lbs, small for a Mal but within breed standard) the other is a "giant Malamute from M'loot malamutes" and she is 39 inches to the tips of her ears and is 125lb and underweight by about 15lbs (she was a recent rescue)-The reason for me talking about my dogs is that I wanted to illustrate the fact that Malamutes are Huskies "bigger brothers" and can get very large! My feeling is that you have a mix of Husky and Mal, or possible a Malamute not a husky at allTemperament wise the 2 breeds are VERY similar and unless you were specifically told it was a Siberian, you might want to look more closely at Malamutes to see if maybe its a Mal or mixI laughed when I read that they dont know their own strength, yup, sounds normal for these breeds! Pull on leash too? thats normal. Not trustworthy off leash no matter how firmly you think youve instilled the recall command? yup, thats normal too! These dogs are just stubborn, independent workers who march to their own drums, theyll never be a loyal companion lab or a lapdog by the fire--- but for those of us that want that "primitiveness and drive", they are great! So, in closing, you most likely have a Malamute Husky mix not a Wolf hybridMy 1 suggestion- no amount of walking is going to tire out your dog, if she is being naughty and destructive or rough with the children and bounding around in circles, then she needs to RUN! I suggest rollerblades or biking with the dog to drain some energyMy Mals and I do 5 to 10 miles a day, me riding my bike, then running- They can run 6 to 8 miles in like 45 mins and they eat it up! Huskies can go longer and further more quickly than can Mals, so dont be afraid to push the dog on a nice long run! Itll do wonders for her when she is in the house and around the children afterwards

• @John and Sheridan - Huskies do not have any wolf in them. They are a domesticated dog. Afghan hounds are far more closely related to wolves than huskies are. :PThis dog likely is not a wolf hybrid. Wolf hybrids often come with all kinds of issues one has to deal with other than "he's big and doesn't know his own strength". Your dog is likely mixed with another larger breed of dog. Large breed dogs are sometimes bred with huskies to create a more wolfish look in an otherwise completely domesticated animal, such as malamutes and german shepherds.If you'd properly researched the husky breed you wouldn't be having this problem as you either would not have gotten the dog at all or you would have taken steps to keep the dog properly controlled. Huskies are an extremely high energy working dog and what you are experiencing is exactly why so many wind up in shelters in the first place. As a husky owner you have two choices: take up jogging and google NILIF training or rehome her to somebody who can provide the large amount of exercise this dog needs. Sorry, but it's a trait of the breed and an inescapable fact. Huskies require--let me repeat that, REQUIRE--at least an hour or two of intense exercise every single day. Jogging, biking, etc. If you aren't able to provide the exercise this breed needs then you're going to have to live with an overly rambunctious dog.A manners class isn't the fix for this problem. Proper physical and mental stimulation is. ;)

• This is quite a basic question that has been asked many times unfortunately there is no easy answer. It has been said that all dogs are descended from the Wolf. The common dogs that are now our loved pets resemble the Wolf in many ways and there has been much research dated back about 15000 years. We don’t really need this if take a good look at the behaviour shown by most dogs with there eating habits. Not all dogs are the same but most will show a definite problem eating close to another dog, often snarling at each other or even attack one or the other. Not only this but dogs in general keep eating all they can get showing the typical habits displayed by the Wolf. The reason for this could be that the Wolf doesn’t know where it’s next meal is coming from so they gorge themselves whenever possible. (Often a cause of overweight)I have two dogs; one is a golden retriever and the other a Samoyed (From the Husky Family) and they are like brothers although neither like any intervention when eating by any other dog yet they both when together eat quit comfortably and each know what bowl is their own.(Both bowls are the same)!! A dog is; much like a human and in general a sociable animal and will look after it’s own kind when in a comfortable environment. Wolves are similar in the pack; however do have a strict pecking order.You may notice that dogs often mount another dog? This is not because they are gay. This is a way of showing domination i.e. who is boss!!So the answer to your question is; Yes. It’s more than likely with the interbreeding of generations of dogs they do all have some genetic past of the Wolf. The Husky like my Samoyed do resemble the Wolf in their looks.I hope this helps.