What breed of dog would work best for a diabetic alert dog?

German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and Labrador Retriever are all good choices for this because they are easy to train and remain loyal and calm.

German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and Labrador Retriever are all good choices for this because they are easy to train and remain loyal and calm....
    General Dog Discussions : What breed of dog would work best for a diabetic alert dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What breed of dog would work best for a diabetic alert dog?

What breed of dog would work best for a diabetic alert dog? General Dog Discussions
      German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and Labrador Retriever are all good choices for this because they are easy to train and remain loyal and calm.

What breed of dog would work best for a diabetic alert dog? General Dog Discussions
    • really the dog almost has to show the ability to detect these changes.I have a freind with a Chinese Crested who can detect changes in her sugar.. he also detects other problems, such as heart problems, changes in her blood pressure, etc.

• Greman Sheperd or as golden retriever. They are good dos for that.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshepherd.htmhttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/goldenretriever.htmDepending on were you live you can find a rescue group for that Just type inGerman shepherd rescue in ________Golden Retriever Rescue in ________Hope this helps

• it may depend the breed but every dog is different! i have a german shepard and she awesome I love her! I am disabled so having her around helps me out, and shepards are super loyal and smart! if you go to a breeder and explains your situation they may give you a discount or maybe even free!

• I actually think a beagle would be the best dog for that. They got the nose, no doubt about that. And most of them are very food motivated so training can be pretty easy. Beagles are smaller dogs, they're lovable dogs, they're wash-n-wear easy to groom ...I'd go with a beagle.

• Just go to the shelter/rescue and see which one bonds with you the best. There really is no one breed that would be "best" for this. A dog that is well connected with the person whom it is supposed to help would be the best dog for you.

• I am hoping to train a dog over the course of the next few years to be a diabetic alert dog- sensing low and high blood sugars.What breed of dog would work best for this? I am hoping to be able to rescue one, not buy. Thanks!

• Labrador, Golden Retriever, German Shepherds are all highly intelligent but I would go with a German Shepherd because if trained correctly are the most loyal dogs.