Alaskan Klee Kai?

Does anyone know of any private <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-alaskan-klee-kai/?s=248be61d6418ad2a2d9501e7536efb8efd571eeb">Alaskan Klee Kai</a> breeders? I have found the main ones on the internet, but they charge a lot of money. I'm just curious if there are any private/smaller breeders.We would like to find one in the Houston area, but are…

Alaskan Klee Kai?

Does anyone know of any private <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-alaskan-klee-kai/?s=248be61d6418ad2a2d9501e7536efb8efd571eeb">Alaskan Klee Kai</a> breeders? I have found the main ones on the internet, but they charge a lot of money. I'm just curious if there are any private/smaller breeders.We would like to find one in the Houston area, but are…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Alaskan Klee Kai?...

• Alaskan Klee Kai?

Alaskan Klee Kai? Dog Breed Discussions
      Does anyone know of any private Alaskan Klee Kai breeders? I have found the main ones on the internet, but they charge a lot of money. I'm just curious if there are any private/smaller breeders.We would like to find one in the Houston area, but are willing to also drive to any other states around Texas. Thanks!

Alaskan Klee Kai?

Alaskan Klee Kai? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They charge a lot because this is a "rare" breed. While the AKK is indeed a rare breed which has been established carefully over a proper amount of time, I for one would never support a breeder by purchasing one of these dogs.Yes, they are cute, and nearly perfect Miniature Huskies, it just adds to the new trend of miniaturizing every breed under the sun.That I do not support, because we do not need Minis of every breed out there.Huskies are working dogs, not companion lap dogs!It still irks me, even though the breeding down was done successfully and carefully.There are those trying to make Mini Goldens, called "comfort" retrievers, are NOT reputable at all, and are just puppy mills making designer dogs.Seriously, we do not need Minis of every breed!!I can argue that making a Poodle in to a Toy was foolish, same goes for Mini Dachshunds.Is the Dachshund NOT small enough???The Poodle is a working water retrieval dog. But now it is a delicate, dainty lap dog that people love to dress up.Sigh...Sorry for the rant.

• The fact is you are interested in a rare and expensive breed. It's kind of hard to get around that. Depending on WHY you want a Klee Kai, you could ask to be put on a breeder's waiting list for an all-white, or oversized Klee Kai -- those would be less expensive because they are technically disqualified from the breed standard. Because Klee Kai are rare and very carefully bred, there is no point looking for them at animal shelters. You will probably wait years. So, might as well save up your money and pay the going rate for a pet-quality dog (which is between $1200 and $2000). I know someone who rescued two dogs from a shelter, then ended up paying THOUSANDS of dollars in vet bills for the dogs' myriad and on-going health problems. When you consider that the Klee Kai are considered an extremely healthy breed, it's actually not a bad price. Don't forget that you still have to pay for routine vaccinations, flea & worm medication, obedience classes, a crate, leashes, collar, pet license, food & treats, chew toys, car harness, baby gate or dog gate, training pads, poop bags, brush & nail clippers, etc., etc. Having a dog is expensive all around.