Is an Alaskan Klee Kai a good option for an inexperienced owner?

My husband and I are looking for a dog. We originally wanted a Husky but I heard it's for experienced owners, but still wanted something very close to it, so we found the <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-alaskan-klee-kai/?s=e8589d43cbcfe570417f33858364064df5b140a8">Alaskan Klee Kai</a> and I'm just wondering if it's suitable for an inexperienced…

My husband and I are looking for a dog. We originally wanted a Husky but I heard it's for experienced owners, but still wanted something very close to it, so we found the <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-alaskan-klee-kai/?s=e8589d43cbcfe570417f33858364064df5b140a8">Alaskan Klee Kai</a> and I'm just wondering if it's suitable for an inexperienced…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is an Alaskan Klee Kai a good option for an inexperienced owner?...

• Is an Alaskan Klee Kai a good option for an inexperienced owner?

Is an Alaskan Klee Kai a good option for an inexperienced owner? Dog Breed Discussions
      My husband and I are looking for a dog. We originally wanted a Husky but I heard it's for experienced owners, but still wanted something very close to it, so we found the Alaskan Klee Kai and I'm just wondering if it's suitable for an inexperienced owner? Are they difficult to find in the US? And what would the price of it? The price isn't really an issue but it'd be nice to know. :)

Is an Alaskan Klee Kai a good option for an inexperienced owner? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I Answered your last question....This breeder here: http://www.cocalkleekai.com/Cocal_Klee_Kai/About_Breed.html estimates they run from $800-$3000.The biggest issue I would see for you is that you want to have a baby eventually. These dogs are going to he heavy shedders. I have 3 dogs who are medium shedders and the hair drives me nuts with my baby. She was a "surprise", my other two daughters were older when we got the dogs (7 and 9) and now I have to have baby gates keeping the dogs out of the rooms where the baby crawls on the floor for sanitary reasons.Also, here is the breed standard: http://akkaoa.org/PDF_Files/Standard-10-26-2010-Word-Final.pdfUnfortunately, I am not entirely sure of the temperament and suitability for an inexperienced owner. My suggestion, email some of the breeders linked with the breed club I linked in your other question and ask lots of questions.

• They are very rare, and Up to the thousands in price. I've read most northern breeds aren't good matches for new dog owners or those that are inexperienced because they can often be hard headed or stubborn. Not sure if it applies to the Klee klai as well. If you really like northern type breeds, why not the American Eskimo? They are the easiest of the spitz types to care for/are the most biddable and least headstrong, and they're good with kids. Plus there are three sizes. Or check a shelter.

• AKK are real easy to train. They are also very smart so they get bored easily. So you can take them either way-that they are good for first timers and that they are bad for first timers. If you know you tend to be lazy then they are not for you. They will learn to walk all over you but if you know how to be firm and keep them busy then they are for you. Personally I would not know how to live without mine. I currently have 7. They are a bit addictive.Klee Kai ( Klee Kai is both plural and singular) come in three sizes and should not weigh more than 22 pounds nor be taller than 17 inches. They come in three colors, grey, black and red. Red is the most rare so far and some are charging more for them than the others. Grey is the easiest to get. They are a lot like huskies in many ways but they have their own character and do not tend to be as friendly to strangers as huskies are. I have one who opens her crate and another who opens gates. Did I mention they are extremely smart?AKK are easiest to find in the USA as this is where they were created. They are starting to also be found in Europe and Asia and there is now one breeder in Australia. AKK prices start at about 1500.00 and go up and down from there with the east coast having the lowest prices. They are United Kennel Club registered and are shown in UKC and ARBA shows. There is a small group working on AKC registration but that could be years down the road. Litter sizes are still small so if you are really interested in getting one I would check out every breeders web page and pick several that you feel comfortable with and put applications in.But be careful of scams. There is a webpage out there about AKK scams. Some people think they can offer pups cheap and then they take your money and vanish. Ignore any ad that lists a pup for under 1000.00. Breeders will sometimes sell pups for a lot less if there is a good reason but if you are looking at one that cheap find out why it is going for so much less. Good luck1

• Honestly, a Klee Kai is probably not a dog you should get either. They are a lot like huskies in many ways.They are both smart, stubborn dogs not recommended for first time dog owner. They both need firm leaders and a lot of training. Also a fair sized fenced backyard, where he can play, and in the winter enjoy the cold weather.A Klee Kai is a high energy dog that requires long daily walks. They are not recommended 'off-leash' dogs because like the husky they love to run. My family thought we would like to add a Klee Kai into our family as a companion for our husky. But the price was a lot more then we were willing to pay over $1200. They are a rare dog, so if you do want a Klee Kai you may have to drive to get one. We found a breeder in Northern Ontario, over ten hours away from were we live, but an hour away from where we stay with family on vacation. Instead we got another husky for $450. Type in Klee Kai breeder in your area into google and see what pops up! About the price I haven't seen less then $1000. With this breed I would go for a breeder, there are a lot of scams with these dogs. If it seems to good to be true it is! Do not sent money to have the dog shipped unless it is a registered breeder.Like the husky, a Klee Kai aren't fond of being left alone. But unlike huskies, Klee Kai's are good watch dogs who are weary of strangers. They are a bit more barky then the husky. You need to make sure you have a lot of time for training (recall most important one) and spending time with the dog. They are not a breed for everyone, but if you are active people, and can handle a energetic stubborn dog why not try? Make sure you talk to the breeder about their daily and exercise needs. Good luck :)