What's a safe place to buy a Alaskan Malamute.?

Help. I'm not planning to buy a dog soon but I will someday and I like to plan ahead for this. I've read this somewhere and I got frightened.&quot;The <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=5305dabeeaebe8b3eb434bddf6a15d0bab34eccb">Alaskan Malamute</a> is generally a very hardy breed. Be careful that you are not buying your <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=5305dabeeaebe8b3eb434bddf6a15d0bab34eccb">Alaskan Malamute</a>…

Help. I'm not planning to buy a dog soon but I will someday and I like to plan ahead for this. I've read this somewhere and I got frightened.&quot;The <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=5305dabeeaebe8b3eb434bddf6a15d0bab34eccb">Alaskan Malamute</a> is generally a very hardy breed. Be careful that you are not buying your <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=5305dabeeaebe8b3eb434bddf6a15d0bab34eccb">Alaskan Malamute</a>…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's a safe place to buy a Alaskan Malamute.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's a safe place to buy a Alaskan Malamute.?

What's a safe place to buy a Alaskan Malamute.? Dog Breed Discussions
      Help. I'm not planning to buy a dog soon but I will someday and I like to plan ahead for this. I've read this somewhere and I got frightened."The Alaskan Malamute is generally a very hardy breed. Be careful that you are not buying your Alaskan Malamute from a puppy mill, as some dogs have been having health and temperament problems. They are prone to hip dysplasia, but no more than any other large breed and less then many others. Some are prone to chondrodysplasia, which is dwarfism. Some clubs require OFA, CERF, and CHD (dwarfism test) certification of both parents. Prone to bloat."What is a puppy mill? Is there a specific place that is safe to buy the Alaskan Malamute from? If so, where? I live in Minnesota BTW, so yeah.

What's a safe place to buy a Alaskan Malamute.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • puppy mill=bad!!!!!!!!. get one from either a licensed breeder that the animals look comfortable in, or a shelter (you can find any kind of animal if you look hard enough). a puppy mill is a place where the females are constantly breeding and they live in bad conditions and don't get enough health care.

• go to a breeder to get a puppy or a sheltera puppy mill is a place where dogs are massively overproduced, not healthy, un socilaized , and the dogs are kept in small cagesthese dogs are then sold to petstores and over the internetgoogle puppy mills to learn more info

• A puppy mill is a breeder who breeds their dogs as fast as possible without regard for their genetics. They'll breed moms with their sons and brothers with sisters, bascially anything to make a good buck. If you go through a breeder make sure that they have credentials. Ask for a pedigree (basically like a family tree) of the parents of your would be dog. Also, ask for health checks on the puppy, or genetic screenings. It'll typically cost you more, but you'll be getting a healthier dog.

• I am from Alaska and there are some shady business dealings here. Honestly the most hardy breed you will find is a mutt. That's what I had growing up and she lived to the ripe old age of 14 with minimal health problems until she was elderly. You are then also discouraging the use of puppy mills and providing a home to dogs most people don't want because they are not a status symbol.Good luck!

• There are some great Alaskan Malamute breeders in Minnesota. Black Ice Malamutes bred by Shilon Bedford (also an AKC judge) comes to mind. A couple of her dogs were in the movie Iron Will. Temperament wise, as well as from a good healthy genetic background she can point you the right direction if she doesn't have pups herself. I buy my sledding harnesses from her.http://www.blackicedogsledding.com/

• Good. it sounds like you've begun doing your homework, Malamutes are a wonderful large dog from the working group.I would recommend going to akc.org or ukc.org and do more reading research about these dogs. Contact some breeders on the referral list and ask a lot of questions. If you can get to a dog show, talk to the Malamute folks. A puppy mill is a place where dogs are bred purely for profit, without regard to breed standard or health. The females are just bred over and over and the puppies are taken away too soon and usually sold to pet stores who then put really high price tag on these dogs who are inferior representations of their breed. And they are often sick. so don't ever buy from a pet store. It is good idea to never puchase ANYTHING from a pet store who also sells puppies- you're just keeping them in business.. There are a lot of breed specific books about Malamutes. I've never been to Minnesota but it sounds cold and I think Malamutes like that. Good luck! My vet tech has 3 females and he actually does a little sledding with them whenever we get enough snow

• A LICENSED breeder.Don't buy from pet store, the newspaper, or Ebay.Most of those dogs will be "puppy mill" dogs. That means they come from a place where all sorts of dogs are bred and birthed on one building, kind of like a factory. They are exposed to all sorts of diseases and inbreeding.Here's a site that may help:

• A puppy mill is a term used to label an individual, persons and or business that "pump out" puppies much like an assembly line pushing out product. The problem is that these breeders get caught up in the quick income and think less of the quality of the puppy they are producing. The AKC is a great place to find a respectable breeder. http://www.akc.org/breeds/alaskan_malamute/puppy.cfm

• There should be a rescue organization in MN specifically for Malamutes....if you've never owned one before, I suggest you contact them....they could be a valuable resource for you.Check the AMAL site for info too.