can i keep an Alaskan malamute without a fenced area?

i live in Chesapeake, oh on a 20 acre farm. most of it is woods though we have about 3 acres cleared around the house. would this be enough room to provide an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a> with plenty of exercise? will it come back to the house if i let it roam…

i live in Chesapeake, oh on a 20 acre farm. most of it is woods though we have about 3 acres cleared around the house. would this be enough room to provide an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a> with plenty of exercise? will it come back to the house if i let it roam…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : can i keep an Alaskan malamute without a fenced area?...

• can i keep an Alaskan malamute without a fenced area?

can i keep an Alaskan malamute without a fenced area? Dog Breed Discussions
      i live in Chesapeake, oh on a 20 acre farm. most of it is woods though we have about 3 acres cleared around the house. would this be enough room to provide an Alaskan Malamute with plenty of exercise? will it come back to the house if i let it roam around or should it be supervised all of the time? i am planning to get one for the first time in Jan. and need to learn alot about them. thanks for your help.

can i keep an Alaskan malamute without a fenced area? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Malamutes are not a breed I would let roam free - like Huskies, they are notorious for running off. I'm sure there are exceptions but if you want a Mal you should expect to need a secure enclosure for him/her.

• No i really recomend getting another dog if you cant have a fenced yard and if you could i really recomend it because they are very enrgetic dogs who need to be free

• You should do a lot or research on a breed before you get it. There are plenty of books and websites where you can find info on the breed you want. I have Siberian Huskies and I bought a 'Huskies For Dummies' book. It was a great reference for me.

• No no no, bad idea unless trainedthe first thing alaskan malamute breeders and rescues would ask the new owner is "do you have a secure fenced yard?"they are known for being great escapers and tend to be independent which means unlikely to come back.it's good for the dog to have a big space, but pack walks are very important because it's also a mental exercise.my suggestion: invisible remote fence

• Huskies and Malamutes are not reliable off leash--they will not come back when called or stay in your area. They're known for this, and they're escape artists over and under fencing. You either need a metal tie out, a zip line or a standard metal kennel to keep the dog on your property. It's best, since loose dogs learn to chase and kill deer.

• As much as this sounds like Dog Paradise, Mals have such a high prey drive that hewould not likely stay around. If you had a female that was older you might be OK.If you have a male, he could be 10 and still he'd be off exploring. What you may consideris an outdoor pen and taking walks until the puppy is totally trained to come on command.Mals are great dogs, but you have to make sure you are the Pack leader. He/she is goingto try you on this, count on that.

• The nearest town to my place is 25 miles as the crow flies. Every time my closest neighbours Alaskan Malamute gets loose he simply drives to that town and waits for his dog to show up. To date he has driven to town over 10 times and each time has not failed to bring his dog back with him. Fence your dog in or tie it up. These dogs have incredible stamina and will travel for miles.

• No dog should ever be allowed to roam free. All dogs should be contained on a leash, in a fenced area, or at least very closely supervised by a capable adult. Dogs allowed to roam are a danger to themselves, to other pets, and to people. My greyhound was nearly killed by a dog that was allowed complete autonomy, he is a big friendly great dane but on that day he savagely attacked my dog (who was on a leash on my property).I have a greyhound without a fenced in yard, no problem. We just make sure to walk him several times a day, always on a leash. We also spend an hour, a few days a week, at the dog park. It's up to you if you want to make that much of a commitment, a fence would be much easier. 3 acres is a lot more than most dogs ever have. Our dog park isn't even 3 acres. I hope you enjoy your pet.