Are Alaskan Malamutes good with other dogs and cats?

I am thinking about getting an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=2bf32be1dd2f8b5f91aea1b49e3cf3451731a3f1">Alaskan Malamute</a> because they are soo beautiful. I would probably get one under 3 years old if I got one but it wouldn't be a puppy because I dont have time to train it. But my only problem is I also have a cat and another…

I am thinking about getting an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=2bf32be1dd2f8b5f91aea1b49e3cf3451731a3f1">Alaskan Malamute</a> because they are soo beautiful. I would probably get one under 3 years old if I got one but it wouldn't be a puppy because I dont have time to train it. But my only problem is I also have a cat and another…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are Alaskan Malamutes good with other dogs and cats?...

• Are Alaskan Malamutes good with other dogs and cats?

Are Alaskan Malamutes good with other dogs and cats? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am thinking about getting an Alaskan Malamute because they are soo beautiful. I would probably get one under 3 years old if I got one but it wouldn't be a puppy because I dont have time to train it. But my only problem is I also have a cat and another dog and i'm wondering if the Malamute would get along. The dog is a 2 year old female Parson Russell Terrier and the cat is a male Persian.

Are Alaskan Malamutes good with other dogs and cats? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It really depends on the dog. They CAN be good with dogs and cats, but if they've never been around them, there might be a problem. So, each dog needs to be considered on an individual basis.

• It's depends on how you raise it. Most northern breeds don't do well with small animals, including cats.If you don't have time to train the dog, I don't know how your going to manage exercising it. Alaskan malamutes require tons of excercise. Not just 1hour walks per day. These dogs need to be worked. They are used for pulling heavy weights, not for just laying around. Alaskan malamutes require experienced owners who are willing to put the time and effort into training and exercising them, and so, due to these factors, I don't think the Alaskan malamute is the best breed for you.

• I thought so. Until he attacked my Chihuahua. We had both since they were puppies. The Chihuahua is older however. They always played so well together growing up but last week he randomly tackled him to the ground and had him pinned while growling in his face. I was scared as hell. I was able to distract him with a toy though and my Chihuahua escaped with a small scratch on his forehead. This was a rare incident for me and my malamute showed no aggression before or after this. All animals can be provoked however. Remember that. But don't let that discourage you! It could very well be that I didn't train him well enough. I have read that they "tend" to be more aggressive toward smaller animals. But i have met other malamutes that are big gentle giants. They are such dorks. Really a blessing to have if you're up for the challenge. I suggest buying a VERY young one to raise with the other. That should give you some peace of mind.