How to groom a fluffy, scared Alaskan Malamute?

I am fostering an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=7827240adf747f43941568b923b70d86940257ab">Alaskan Malamute</a> for the first time that is extremely fluffy. Her bottom has issues with too long of hair and her &quot;deposits&quot; have gotten stuck to her.I haven't had her long but she is terrified of the groomer and was asked to leave. I…

I am fostering an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=7827240adf747f43941568b923b70d86940257ab">Alaskan Malamute</a> for the first time that is extremely fluffy. Her bottom has issues with too long of hair and her &quot;deposits&quot; have gotten stuck to her.I haven't had her long but she is terrified of the groomer and was asked to leave. I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to groom a fluffy, scared Alaskan Malamute?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to groom a fluffy, scared Alaskan Malamute?

How to groom a fluffy, scared Alaskan Malamute? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am fostering an Alaskan Malamute for the first time that is extremely fluffy. Her bottom has issues with too long of hair and her "deposits" have gotten stuck to her.I haven't had her long but she is terrified of the groomer and was asked to leave. I attempted to do it myself but must have done something wrong as she screamed and screamed, even though she was given a sedative.I need to REALLY get her clean so I can shave her fluffy-ness.Any ideas, without torturing her?

How to groom a fluffy, scared Alaskan Malamute? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They asked you to leave? wow rude, how else is the dog going to learn to accept that it needs to be groomed, that's mean.Maybe try and find a professional that works for themselves or franchise that comes to you, The dog is still going to hate it but at least it will take away the stress of not being where she knows. And simply explain you dog is a nervous one and may put up a bit of a fight, and just ask if they're prepared for that.Good luck

• There are some groomers that will come to your home, although I don't know if that would help. If she trusts you, then I would start with just laying out the grooming tools and letting her sniff them and become comfortable with them. Make sure to give her lots of praise and treats when she doesn't react negatively to the tools. Be very slow and calm and reassuring when you try to groom her. Start off with just 30 seconds of brushing, and once again, give lots of treats and praise. Continue like this several times a day until she is calm enough to let you do more grooming in one session.

• I'd take her to a different groomer. Call around to privately owned grooming parlors and ask if they will groom a dog that is difficult to handle. Some will, others (most of the larger grooming salons like Petsmart grooming) won't. When my rough Collie (RIP) had diarrhea, the same thing happened to him. It got stuck to his rear end and he didn't want to be messed with because obviously once it gets stuck, it's going to hurt to try and brush it out. What were you trying to do? Brush her rear end, or use the clippers? If you're trying to brush it out of her or pick it out, you need to soften it up first.It sounds gross, but it will make it less uncomfortable for her. Soak her bottom in warm water. This will soften it up a bit. You can also use a deep conditioner and put in on the spots where it is stuck. An experienced groomer would be best for this type of situation. She will need to get used to it, so I would contact groomers in your area and ask if they are willing to tackle the job.

• If you feel it is imperative that you clean the dog's bottom now, then you can call the vet and get a sedative. Perhaps explain that the last one did not work and they can either give you a stronger one or can knock her out so the deed can get done. At least then she will be calm enough for either you or a professional groomer to handle and you can her cleaned up. (The vet's office may even be willing to shave her bottom or clean it for you while she is out.)Professional dog groomers are standing or sitting very near the dog's mouth.If she becomes unruly,they are in danger of being bitten in the face. Malmutes are large and are very strong dogs, so battling her to get her groomed may have been too dangerous at the time. Dogs can break out of muzzles and can put up a fight that only will make their next visit worse. So,rather than ruining her future visits by scaring her, the groomer probably asked you to come get her. Also, sled dogs can be the noisiest dogs ever. So when they have anything done they make a LOUD fuss. Best of luck to you.