What are people's experiences of the Alaskan Malamute?

I know a lot of people with Huskies but never met anyone with an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a>. I have been researching the breed out of interest this afternoon, but can't find much on what they actually behave like - just the breed standard.Just out of interest,…

I know a lot of people with Huskies but never met anyone with an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a>. I have been researching the breed out of interest this afternoon, but can't find much on what they actually behave like - just the breed standard.Just out of interest,…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are people's experiences of the Alaskan Malamute?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are people's experiences of the Alaskan Malamute?

What are people's experiences of the Alaskan Malamute? Dog Breed Discussions
      I know a lot of people with Huskies but never met anyone with an Alaskan Malamute. I have been researching the breed out of interest this afternoon, but can't find much on what they actually behave like - just the breed standard.Just out of interest, anyone care to share their experiences of the breed? :3

What are people's experiences of the Alaskan Malamute? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My old roommate had a malamute wolf hybrid. Wasn't a first generation hybrid. The dog was just plain AWESOME. You could not ask for a better dog. He was good looking to. Could jump though. I got a puppy and was playing with her on the couch with the dog sitting there. All of a sudden he jumps over the coffee table and me onto the couch, scared the crap out of me. They don't bark much and didn't eat that much for an eighty pound dog. Lots of hair though, I was finding hair in places a year after they moved out. I miss the dog, he was awesome.

• they will not comply with the owner's every command, some say because many of its behaviors are evolved to conform with "survival of the fittest.". Independent, resourceful and primitive behaviors are common in the breed. They are fairly quiet, but will sometimes vocolize or howl. They tend to be fond of people making them a great family pet but do poorly with smaller animals. Good Luck!

• from my experience i believe i should first warn they need activity OR ELSE. they need alot of brushing and a high protein diet to help with shedding. they can be excellent pets if trained and socialized.i was raised around 6 mals, 6 huskys and 1 rott.they can be vocal BUT it really depends on how they are raised they will need activity and stimuli.ours worked more like a pack the leader being a malamute by the name of Rambo loved him awesome dog :) he wasnt the easiest to train as i recall it was "his way or no way"