what are the things i should keep ready before my Alaskan Malamute puppy comes home?

hi im getting a 50 day old <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=fdc306d4e4d2c165d2e9e63ec56be86f619260fb">Alaskan Malamute</a> puppy and i don't know what am suppose too keep ready for him at home

what are the things i should keep ready before my Alaskan Malamute puppy comes home?

hi im getting a 50 day old <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=fdc306d4e4d2c165d2e9e63ec56be86f619260fb">Alaskan Malamute</a> puppy and i don't know what am suppose too keep ready for him at home...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what are the things i should keep ready before my Alaskan Malamute puppy comes home?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what are the things i should keep ready before my Alaskan Malamute puppy comes home?

what are the things i should keep ready before my Alaskan Malamute puppy comes home? Dog Breed Discussions
      hi im getting a 50 day old Alaskan Malamute puppy and i don't know what am suppose too keep ready for him at home

what are the things i should keep ready before my Alaskan Malamute puppy comes home? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You need to set out his most basic needs, like a suitable place for his bed that isn't too hot or too cold, and isn't in the way. This also applies for his water and food bowls, and indoor potty if he is going to be potty trained (if you have a garden this part won't matter).You also don't want to bring him home on a day that is too busy or when everyone is rushing about and being noisy. He could be nervous being in such an unfamiliar place, so it helps if it is calm and quiet when he is settling in.You need to get him a few toys too, a rope, a ball and a chew toy are a good idea to start off with, as this allows you to see what he likes for future toy buying.

• Puppy FoodFood and water bowlsA piece of cloth that the breeder, shelter worker, or other person you are getting the puppy from has rubbed on the puppy's motherA flat cloth collar that will fit with about 2 inches of room to spare, not enough that the puppy can wiggle out of itAn ID tag to go on the collarA short leashNature's Miracle or other enzyme cleaner to neutralize any urine that gets onto floors or carpets.

• You only really need :pee padsa blanket a nice fluffy dog beddiapers ( maybe depending on the dogs)foodwater bowls***NOTE***: On your parts you must love the dog alot

• -Food and water bowls-Buckle collar-I.d. tag(you don't need his name on it, just put your number(s) in case)-Leash-A towel/blanket for the car ride home-Crate with a few blankets(don't get a bed yet until he is older)-Toys(make sure they are strong enough so he can't tear them to shreds and choke on the pieces)-Food(ask the breeder/shelter/rescue..whereever you're getting him from what food they are feeding him and buy a bag of that, after you can switch him to any food you want)Thats all you really need right now. But here are some things you may need to get later on:Shampoo, bed, nail clippers, toothburh/toothpaste, bitter apple spray, baby gate, pooper scooper, training collar, long line(training leash)Good luck and congrats on your new puppy!

• -Collar-Lead-Food and water bowls-Toys-Treats-Crate-Bed-Blanket-Puppy Food-ID Tag with your name, address and phone number-Puppy Brush-Dog shampoo-Nail clipper if you want to clip his nails-Poop bags

• Besides the usual things puppy collar leash bowls for food and water... a quiet His place...I'd add rawhide chews. A puppy proofed room.. with a baby gate. I'd also get a good puppy training book, and I'd look into local puppy training classes that feature free play for puppies. I'd talk to lots of people about pups, get some ideas and keep a journal of good ideas. You can give this pup a great start..by planning ahead as much as possible.

• Don't allow full run of the house, it is overwhelming, one room at a time, supervised, then he can graduate to more space, supervised of course. Put the crate by the bed, leave the night light on, play soothing cd or radio until he sleeps, carrots for teething puppies. I use a crate* to potty train with, but only for potty training and then I break it down and store it. I put blankets and a small food and water dish in the crate. Dogs don't potty where they eat and sleep. When they are first little, I only expect them to hold their potty for 4 hours, and then 6 hours, then 8 hours and so on. So when they are first little, I set a timer or alarm clock to wake myself up at night to take them *out. I only allow my puppy in the bedroom* or the living room, only one room at a time. They have to graduate to more space. If I allow them to have full run of the house, it will overwhelm them. I take them out the same door each time. I tie a dinner bell to the door handle. Do not use a jingle bell as they could get their toe caught in it. So when they are little, I ring the bell for them, and then open the door to go *outside to potty. When they get bigger, I take their paw and whack the bell and open the door to go potty. Eventually getting to the place where the puppy will ring the bell and let me know when they need to go potty. Dogs want to please you, so it is your job to let them know what behaviors please you and what doesn't. So when my puppy goes potty, I give her a treat*, and clap, and make a fuss and praise her. So she learns that going potty outside makes me happy. If she has an accident, make a disgust sound like “tsst” and take her out right away. I never yell* or spank* my puppies. Take them out when they first wake up, after they eat or drink, before nap, finish romping, when their activities change, or when they are sniffing around. Some puppies go pee right away, but may not go poop until 10 minutes later, so wait for the poop. I have a little play time here, because sometimes I think they are done, and they are not. Puppies train at their own pace. While I may have a puppy that hasn't had an accident in several weeks, I don't let my guard down, the bladder is not grown until 6-months-old and they are not fully potty trained until 1-year old. If they have a setback, shake it off, and start over. I only have my puppies in the crate when I am not watching them. When I am sleeping, cooking, ironing, doing chores, basically when I am not watching her. All other times, she is out of the crate practicing being a "big girl." This is the time I train her how to behave in the house. So we are practicing "no barking", 'no biting", "no jumping", and "don't eat the furniture." I also have to practice "playing inside" so she doesn't knock over things. You must keep the puppy in sight when they are little because they don’t know the difference between newspaper and carpet, and you don’t want them sneaking off and getting into trouble. REVISIONS: *I use a CRATE to train with. It is the method I prefer, compared to other methods I have tried. I noticed that if they are in the crate, while I am doing chores, they are o.k., because the crate allows them to see me and be re-assured. The crate can also be a comfort when stored in the basement for dogs who live in areas where thunderstorms and tornados are an issue. . However, use the method that works best for you.....a laundry basket, a cardboard box, a woof-woof house, x-pen, child gates, whatever works for you. *OUTSIDE, pee pad, litter box, whichever method you are using. *BEDROOMS, I use the bedroom and living room for training, because it works for me. Choose rooms that work for you, but watch for rooms that are damp, or drafty. They don’t have to sleep in the bedroom forever, just while they are training.*TREATS. I like Charlee Bears for training (a little cracker for a little mouth,) but once they are trained, I cut back on them. *SOME PUPPIES have to be told to go potty. A command like "go out" for pee, or "go finish" for poop, might work for you, keep saying “go finish” until the puppy poops. By using commands, the puppy won't get confused when you are visiting someone, on vacation with you, or when you get to a new home. The command will tell them what you want them to do in an unfamiliar place. *YELLING. It is not a good idea to "yell" or "spank" your puppy and then take them outside when they have an accident. In your mind you taught potty training, in the puppies mind, it got scolded and put outside, so outside becomes the place it never wants to go, in the puppies mind.