I was wondering what would be a better choice of dog for me. Alaskan Malamute or Bernese Mountain Dog?

I've gone Ito all the web sites seeing what dog was best for me and i got these two. <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=d49ad3a8f3f8f1433b70318853b244dbcc6c483d">Alaskan Malamute</a> and Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm looking for a dog to go running with and one that can just chill out with me at times. I have a huge backyard 3000 sqaure…

I was wondering what would be a better choice of dog for me. Alaskan Malamute or Bernese Mountain Dog?

I've gone Ito all the web sites seeing what dog was best for me and i got these two. <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=d49ad3a8f3f8f1433b70318853b244dbcc6c483d">Alaskan Malamute</a> and Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm looking for a dog to go running with and one that can just chill out with me at times. I have a huge backyard 3000 sqaure…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I was wondering what would be a better choice of dog for me. Alaskan Malamute or Bernese Mountain Dog?...

• I was wondering what would be a better choice of dog for me. Alaskan Malamute or Bernese Mountain Dog?

I was wondering what would be a better choice of dog for me. Alaskan Malamute or Bernese Mountain Dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've gone Ito all the web sites seeing what dog was best for me and i got these two. Alaskan Malamute and Bernese Mountain Dog. I'm looking for a dog to go running with and one that can just chill out with me at times. I have a huge backyard 3000 sqaure feet so it fits either one. Anyone have any wisdom for me?

I was wondering what would be a better choice of dog for me. Alaskan Malamute or Bernese Mountain Dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I do have a tip as a matter of fact. Don't fall prey into believing a large back yard will sufficiently exercise your dog. Running with the dog every day sounds like a great idea. If there are days that you two can't go running together, try to find some other way to make sure the dog gets its exercise, such as on a treadmill or maybe just throwing toys for them to chase in your yard.Exercised dogs seem to be in a calmer, more peaceful state of mind. Thus they are easier to discipline. I have a dog that...when he's bouncing off the walls...it's like he wants to obey but can't...because he just can't sit still. But when he actually gets enough exercise, he's so good!

• My major concerns would be:Providing enough exercise. Alaskan Malamutes MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by howling and destructive chewing. Bored Alaskan Malamutes are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.Unless you specifically want a large dog for sledding, carting, weight-pulling, or other outdoor-related activities, preferably in a cold climate, I do not recommend this breed. Alaskan Malamutes were never intended to be simply pets. Trying to suppress their "hardwired" drive to work, without providing alternate outlets for their energy, can be difficult. Bounciness. Young Alaskan Malamutes (up to about two years old) can be bulls in a china shop. When they romp and jump, they do so with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people.If you have small children, or if you or anyone who lives with you is elderly or infirm, I do not recommend Alaskan Malamute puppies. The temptation to play roughly is too strong in many young Alaskan Malamutes. Animal aggression. Most Alaskan Malamutes will not tolerate another dog of the same sex, and some won't tolerate the opposite sex either. Most Alaskan Malamutes have strong instincts to chase and seize cats and other fleeing creatures, including deer and livestock. If anything goes wrong in the breeding, socializing, training, handling, or management of this breed, it is capable of seriously injuring or killing other animals.To keep your Alaskan Malamute in, and to keep other animals out, fences should be high, with wire sunk into the ground along the fence line to thwart digging. Gates should have the highest quality locks. Many Alaskan Malamutes are clever escape artists who will go over, under, or through fences in search of adventure. The strong temperament. Alaskan Malamutes are not Golden Retrievers. They have an independent mind of their own and are not pushovers to raise and train. They can be manipulative, and many are willful, obstinate, and dominant (they want to be the boss) and will make you prove that you can make them do things. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say.To teach your Malamute to listen to you, "Respect Training" is mandatory. My Alaskan Malamute Training Page discusses the program you need. Heavy shedding. Alaskan Malamutes shed a LOT. You'll find hair and fur all over your clothing, upholstery, carpeting, under your furniture, on your countertops -- even in your food. Frequent vacuuming will become a way of life. Make sure you're REALLY up for this.Noise. Unless you live way out in the boondocks and have no neighbors, Alaskan Malamutes should never be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. Their deep voice carries a LONG way and the mournful howling will have your neighbors calling the cops to report the nuisance -- or quietly letting your Alaskan Malamute out of his yard so he'll wander away.Frankly, most Alaskan Malamutes are "too much dog" for the average household. This is a serious working dog with tremendous strength. Very few people really have the knowledge, facilities, or skills necessary to manage this breed, or to provide the types of activities that keep him satisfied Bernese Mountain DogsBerners are outdoors dogs that thrive in cold weather. These mountain dogs are outgoing, intelligent and affectionate and make terrific family pets. The Berners love children but should be supervised with young children because they are large and can knock the toddlers over. Berners should be socialized early with small children and animals when they are puppies. These Bernese are intelligent and very trainable and make good dogs for competitive obedience trials. Berners are fairly tolerant with strangers but still make excellent watch dogs and guard dogs. These mountain dogs should not be trained to be aggressive guard dogs as they are fearsome enough already. First time dog owners can manage very well with this dog breed. Potential owners should only buy Berner puppies from long-established breeders who have broadened the genetic base.Bernese need a moderate amount of exercise. Although they can move very quickly for a large dog, they lack endurance and don’t need long runs. Berners should not be kept in an apartment as they love to be outside in a large, fenced yard. Because this breed’s coat is so heavy, Berners prefer cooler weather.Bernese Mountain Dog defiantly!That Cute Puppy Requires WorkWatching a puppy grow can be a rewarding experience, and is often compared to the time requirements of raising a human baby. And just like a baby, you won't discover the dogs' true personality until it is nearing adulthood.Young puppies require large amounts of time; needing to be fed 3-4 times a day, kept in a confined area indoors and le

• Inadequate exercise will cause the Alaskan Malamute to become bored and destructive. Make sure, however, that the exercise matches the dog's age, health condition, and activity level.Malamutes love to dig. Rather than trying to stop this behavior, your best bet is to accommodate it by giving your Malamute his own place to dig in the yard, such as a sandbox or other area that you don't mind setting aside for him.Because the Berner is a working dog, he has plenty of energy. In addition to yard play, he needs a minimum of 30 minutes of vigorous exercise every day; three times that amount keeps this sturdy dog in top condition.With his thick, handsome coat, the Berner is a natural fit for cold climates. He loves to play in the snow. Conversely, with his black coat and large size, he's prone to heat stroke.