What is the best way to train an Alaskan Malamute dog not to be animal aggressive.?

I have a 2.5 year old male <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a>.He got out yesterday and attacked my neighbors dog My neighbor has a great dane/boxer,he was not hurt.My dog weighs 80 lbs,I weigh 110.I use a prong collar even with that if another approaches I find it very…

What is the best way to train an Alaskan Malamute dog not to be animal aggressive.?

I have a 2.5 year old male <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a>.He got out yesterday and attacked my neighbors dog My neighbor has a great dane/boxer,he was not hurt.My dog weighs 80 lbs,I weigh 110.I use a prong collar even with that if another approaches I find it very…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the best way to train an Alaskan Malamute dog not to be animal aggressive.?...

• What is the best way to train an Alaskan Malamute dog not to be animal aggressive.?

What is the best way to train an Alaskan Malamute dog not to be animal aggressive.? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 2.5 year old male Alaskan Malamute.He got out yesterday and attacked my neighbors dog My neighbor has a great dane/boxer,he was not hurt.My dog weighs 80 lbs,I weigh 110.I use a prong collar even with that if another approaches I find it very difficult to control King.What can I do?

What is the best way to train an Alaskan Malamute dog not to be animal aggressive.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Go to a professional dog trainer, it might cost you a little bit, but it could save you a lot of heart ache later, what if he was to attack a small child? But from what I know about alaskan malamutes, they arent overly friendly towards other dogs, and they arent the easiest dogs to train. http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogprofile.do?id=2340Maybe you should walk him with a halti collar? It may give you a little more control.

• Contact an animal behavourist in your area. They are better equiped to deal with aggresion issues than your average trainer. They can help socialize your dog safely and teach ways to cope with this behaviour.

• Hi there. First of all as somebody here suggested "spanking a Malamute" does not work, they do NOT react well to physical punishment. To walk it I would use a head collar if you cannot hold it otherwise. Malamutes are very dominant animals so first call is getting your boy neutered. For the effect of the neutering to kick in takes about 7 months!!! It is not an instant fix. For any problems with your dog your first port of call should be your breeder, so have you rang them and what did they suggest? After all your dog should come with life long support.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE A PRONG COLLAR on your dog, they are cruel and not at all useful for Malamutes!!! I cannot stress that enough.You will find that male Mals often simply do not like other entire male dogs. Some Mals get on great with them but the majority simply does not. Even if your dog was socialized from 8 wks on, every day with male dogs, when hitting puberty that can go straight out of the window.That is something that is well known in this breed.My all emans ring a certified behaviourist !! not simply a dog trainer and have him/her work with you. They are not cheap but well worth it. He can also advise yopu on the correct head collar, i.e. Halti or one of the others.My feeling is though, that your male Malamute simply finds his dominance challenged by another male dog and that this will not change. You simply have to make sure that he cannot be off lead with other males about.

• i know your pain, it can be quite a handful keeping a malamute especially male. neutering doesn't always work. some males are just aggressive, but some times their playful growl is mistaken for aggression. as they get older they don't necessarily clam down either. neutering doesn't always work either.spanking your dog every time he plays up on you isn't the answer. they are an extremely intelligent dog and will test your boundaries constantly. some people reading this are not going to like the following: your male needs to be shown who's number one and what the consequences are if he steps out of line. when he plays up again, beat the dog stupid,don't cause bodily harm though. you will know if you have done it right. he will howl as he sits. you only get 1 shot at this. if done right he will listen to your just about every command. after that any time he looks like trouble. use an affirmative voice to control him. and when he has listened show affection. the malamute is not a loyal, single owner dog. as soon as his attention has been grabbed by some thing else he will zone out, and not do a thing you command, he is his own master. and that will be like that till the day he dies. but your one chance beating and affirmative voice and affection. will slow him. teach him to sit and when walking him keep his close. his head must be in line with your leg. you have too keep him in close to you at all times when out in public. if yo do the above with patience you will have your dog in public off the lead next to you always. but never leave the lead behind. because one day he is going to bolt. if its small and running its fair game to them. it is a natural instint to hunt. watch the dog with small children they give no warning when they will bite. my males big enough to fit a 15 month old babes head in his month one go. this type of breed is only suited to certain individuals. so dont be disapointed if it dosent work out with the dog. just make sure he finds a good home. people dont realise at heart the breed is a hunting,indiviual,extremely intelligent and curious breed. and not the designer pets that look good and do as their told. great dog if you have the energy, patience, time and stamina that the dog requires. if you cant match what the dog has and more, you will not have a happy realationship with it.

• Dont hit your dog as suggested.Positive reinforcement training is the best method. This involves strong vocal commands. When your dog responds well, praise verbally, pat the dog, or give a small treat.If the aggression is quite bad, you may need to try a correction collar, although this should not be used for extended periods.Remember, Mallies are a dominant breed. You, as the owner, must show your boy that you are the boss and the pack leader. At the moment he is at the top and this needs to be reversed.Also remember, as mentioned, that Mallies can be same sex aggressive.