do schnauzers and alaskan malamutes get along well?

i own a schnauzer and my fiance wants to get an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">alaskan malamute</a>. im not sure if they get along well... any advice?

i own a schnauzer and my fiance wants to get an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">alaskan malamute</a>. im not sure if they get along well... any advice?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : do schnauzers and alaskan malamutes get along well?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• do schnauzers and alaskan malamutes get along well?

do schnauzers and alaskan malamutes get along well? Dog Breed Discussions
      i own a schnauzer and my fiance wants to get an alaskan malamute. im not sure if they get along well... any advice?

do schnauzers and alaskan malamutes get along well? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Sigh, as long as both dogs are socialized well with other dogs and you introduce them on neutral territory such as a dog park then yes. Any breed can get along with another breed. Its all about personality.

• I would say that unless you or your fiance have experience with the malamute breed that you don't get one. While they are very pretty dogs, they are extremely pack oriented and take a very assertive owner to show them who is pack leader. Otherwise you will have a large dog that will push you around and that can be dangerousIf you really decide you want to get a malamute, I would make sure that both dogs aren't females even if they are both spayed I have known several people with female malamutes that do not get along with other female dogs. This is again related to their pack mentality. With any dog you bring into the house, you will have to make sure to do it gradually. Don't just bring a new one in and give it free run of the place and invade your schnauzer's territory. That could make for quite a bit of animosity. If it's possible have them meet on neutral ground. Take you schnauzer to the shelter or breeder where you are getting the new dog from or introduce them at a nearby park. That will let them meet each other without one feeling like someone is coming onto their turf or making the new dog feel anxious because it will know it's someone else house! If that's not possible, before you bring the new dog home...try and pick a place in the house that will be the new dog's place and keep the schnauzer away from it for a bit. That will give the new guy a place of his/her own place and the old dog will not feel like his/her space is being invaded so much. Once they get to know each you can let them go wherever. There will also probalby be some examples of dominance among them from some sparring (try not to jump in right away and break it up) to awkward stuff like them mounting one another (even with females). If you do stuff right you can happily expand your pack! Best of luck!:)

• The social aspect of two breeds is only related to the individual dog. If both dogs are good with other dogs and they are introduced to each other properly they should be fine together.By the way I have a Schnauzer they are awesome dogs! :)

• alaskan malamutes r amazing! they love everyone! if u trained the schnauzer then u should be fine. just depends on their personality and how u treat them. just let them play a lot if u get a malamute and they will learn to be friends