Can I adopt a labrador, husky or malamut at my 1br apartment?

I am planning to adopt a dog. I like siberian husky, <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">alaskan malamute</a> or labrador. I am not sure if they would be happy at my 1br apartment. Can experienced dog owners help?Thank you all for you answers. One more: what other breeds would you recommend…

I am planning to adopt a dog. I like siberian husky, <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">alaskan malamute</a> or labrador. I am not sure if they would be happy at my 1br apartment. Can experienced dog owners help?Thank you all for you answers. One more: what other breeds would you recommend…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can I adopt a labrador, husky or malamut at my 1br apartment?...

• Can I adopt a labrador, husky or malamut at my 1br apartment?

Can I adopt a labrador, husky or malamut at my 1br apartment? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am planning to adopt a dog. I like siberian husky, alaskan malamute or labrador. I am not sure if they would be happy at my 1br apartment. Can experienced dog owners help?Thank you all for you answers. One more: what other breeds would you recommend for an apartment?

Can I adopt a labrador, husky or malamut at my 1br apartment? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You can, but you'd be pretty crazy to do so. These are large dogs with lots of energy and unless you have a ground floor apartment, with your own access to a private garden, none of these are dogs for apartments. And further, if you intend to have a puppy - again you must be on the ground floor. Puppies need to be taken out every hour, and at least once during the night. And that's just for starters.It may work with an old dog, but I'm not for having dogs in apartments, period, and especially none of these breeds. Wait until you have a house, with a garden and the time to be at home most of the time with a puppy.

• DOGS IN AN APARTMENT OR FLAT, WITHOUT A FENCED GARDEN.If you are not on the ground floor and you do not have a fenced garden imagine the problems a puppy or even an older dog will create. Your dog will need to be walked regardless of the weather, it may need to have the mud washed off its coat and then dried. Can you carry a dirty dog up stairs or take it in the lift? Have you somewhere to wash it in your apartment/flat?What do you do when it wants a pee in the middle of the night, Is it safe for you to take it out during the night? Will you mind going out in your nightwear? When your dog wakes up in the morning, it will not cross it legs until you get dressed. Will you again take it downstairs for a pee? In all of this consider the fact that if you are not at home during the day to housetrain your dog it will pee and poo. Have you ever heard a dog cry when it is left alone? If you are at work or college you will be unaware of this. Have you considered the other tenants and neighbours? they will almost certainly complain, then what. Eventually you may be asked to vacate your apartment/flat and make good the damage before you leave. Have you considered how many landlords will take you and a dog? People part with their dogs every day because they cannot find accommodation. IF YOU LIVE IN A RENTED APARTMENT/FLAT AND YOU INTEND TO LEAVE A DOG ALONE, THINK AGAIN.

• How much time do you have? None of these three breeds make good apartment dogs unless they are out of the apartment most of the time. So if you are willing to take this dog out for several hours of daily exercise, you will most likely do well. But if he is just cooped up in a small apartment, he will not be happy and neither will you.

• not a good idea, they need a lot more space.you are basically limited to small dogs or some of the medium sized short legged dogs like bulldogs, basset hounds, and the like

• I would say yes since I had my Alaskan Malamute in a 600 sqf apartment. My husband worked from home so he was always there to keep her company. It's more of a responsibility to take care of bigger dogs vs a smaller dog. They shed like crazy so would have to clean your Apt more then usual. Like any dog they require a lot of exercise so if you don't have a private area to have your dog run around I would suggest taking he/she to your local dog park. It will also help your dog to socialize better with other dogs. So it all boils down to what situation your in. Be financially ready!! It's so important if you have any pet that you have money for emergency's, food, crates, heart-worm prevention, Vet bills..etc. It can get very expensive and you don't EVER want to give up your companion due to finances. It's not fair to them. If you have a FT job your dog will be stuck at the APT all day and that's not fair to them. If someone is home most of the day it's a different story. I would say yes but look at your situation very carefully before bringing another family member in your home to take care of : )PS. It's important that they are properly potty and crate trained.Update: I recommend any breed so as long as it's okay with your Apartment complex. Dog's have different personality's so you can do some research to see what would be a good fit for you.