When can I start taking my dog for a run in with me in the mornings?

I have an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=f92df307ea33560fab65ada0684eecaa209de339">Alaskan Malamute</a>. He is going on 8 months old now and very hyper. Is he old enough to go for a jog with me in the mornings?

I have an <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/?s=f92df307ea33560fab65ada0684eecaa209de339">Alaskan Malamute</a>. He is going on 8 months old now and very hyper. Is he old enough to go for a jog with me in the mornings?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : When can I start taking my dog for a run in with me in the mornings?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When can I start taking my dog for a run in with me in the mornings?

When can I start taking my dog for a run in with me in the mornings? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an Alaskan Malamute. He is going on 8 months old now and very hyper. Is he old enough to go for a jog with me in the mornings?

When can I start taking my dog for a run in with me in the mornings? Dog Breed Discussions
    • As long as you can handle the big guy on a leash and he won't pull you down the street then go for it! lol. As soon as he's had all his adult shots, its safe to take him outside ^^ Good for you wanting to to actually get out and exercise your dog! Most people are lazy xD

• Large breed dogs should not be going running, at least long runs, until their growth plates are closed, which is after about 12 months. It DOES indeed matter how old the dog is since the impact on growing joints can cause issues later in life.

• He can start now if you like! Just be sure to use a harness rather than collar because malamutes really tug and you wouldn't want him getting hurt.Always have him on a leash for walks, even if he learns to stay close to you, because such large dogs can cause serious complications if they suddenly act out.

• He is still growing and should not be going running yet. Wait until at least 12-18 months and vet approval. You can do more harm than good by starting strenuous exercise too early.

• Yup but I recommend you to leash train it first. I was taking care of my friend's GSD and I took it out for a dog one day (not leash trained). So while I was jogging, the dog was at my right side and suddenly he switched to my left side and nearly tripped me.

• i'd say no forced running, eg. if he starts slowing down or showing any signs of fatigue, start walking and let him have a little sniff around. if he's tired then you must stop. if he's tired you've pushed him too far. make sure to pull it back the next day.me and my siberian (one year old on sunday) do a 2km walk every evening and parts of that are runs or jogs, but it's definately less than 1km total running time, and that's split into two to four dashes.when let out on the sports fienld he runs for more than that, so i feel comfortable that i'm not pushing him too hard. at least, i hope not!overall, the advice is don't run larger dogs until 18 months to 2 years. realistically the dog wants to run as do you. perhaps walk him a few blocks, jog him back, let him back into the house and then go continue your jog.also, make sure he's not carrying any extra weight, and that he runs on the grassy part of the side walk if available as it's less stress on his joints.