Do Alaskan Malamute Dog Need Cool Shelter?

I want a <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a> dog and I need to know alot of things about it before i get one.So All you <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a> owners do these dog need cold or chilly shelter since they live in cold climate? Or is the ordinary climate in California Fine?

I want a <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a> dog and I need to know alot of things about it before i get one.So All you <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/10-alaskan-malamute/">Alaskan Malamute</a> owners do these dog need cold or chilly shelter since they live in cold climate? Or is the ordinary climate in California Fine?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do Alaskan Malamute Dog Need Cool Shelter?...

• Do Alaskan Malamute Dog Need Cool Shelter?

Do Alaskan Malamute Dog Need Cool Shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want a Alaskan Malamute dog and I need to know alot of things about it before i get one.So All you Alaskan Malamute owners do these dog need cold or chilly shelter since they live in cold climate? Or is the ordinary climate in California Fine?

Do Alaskan Malamute Dog Need Cool Shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
    • California has an ordinary climate? Deserts, mountains, inland seas, southern coastal, northern coastal: every 100 miles is a different climate. Mals have thick coats so they do well in cooler weather. They still need a protective dog house if they are isolated from the home. In warmer weather they need some way to get cool - air conditioning or misters and fans.

• Their long hair acts as an insulator for the dog, but you will need to have the hair thinned during the summer by a groomer. They will obviously need a cool air-conditioned house during the summer to. During the winter, leave them be, obviously.

• These dogs live all over the world, but they do have very heavy double coats, and can overheat in hot climates. I would not keep one anywhere with temperatures above 95 degrees without providing shade, a swimming pool, and a cool place to escaped the heat.

• You know what's funny.. I have an Alaskan Malamute and his name is Koda... much like your user ID! Anyways, here is the deal, not sugar coated... just the truth about the breed:1. They CANNOT do well in California, unless you are well north, humbolt county or above. As a general rule, unless you get at least 1 foot of snowfall per year in your area, you should NOT own a Mal. My mal will not run real well with sled or just on lead if the weather is over 75 or 80. Luckily we are in Northern MA so we only have a short summer, then it gets cold for a long time. 2. They need to be kept in AC rooms during hot summer days over 80 or they will get lethargic, they will start to get over heating problems and if left alone, they can actually cook their kidneys in that weather! They have the densest coats man... and as such, they just cant survive in hot weather.They can survive well in cold weather tho! man oh man, it was -5 here the other day, my mal was outside SUNBATHING! He loves it, drool frozen to his jowls.. just loving it!SO, Id suggest that if you are in part of Cali where it gets and stays warm, please consider another breed. Its for the best. I know they are gorgeous and real head turners of a dog, but its not fair to keep a Mal in weather like LA has. Additionally, make sure you realllllly are ready for the amount of exercise they need! I mean, they need TONS of exercise to stay sane. We run Koda on lead about 8 miles per day... everyday! Sometimes we hook him to a pulling sled in the snow and load it with a few sand bags or some chopped wood.. and he will pull for a mile or so. But every single day you need to devote at least 2 hours of walking, or at least 1 hour of hard running to exercising your Mal.I bike with my mal running next to me... that's the only way, besides rollerblades, that I can keep up with him.They are extremely stubborn, tough to train not because they are dumb, but because they are reallly independently minded. they wont sit for you unless they see the reason in sitting... you know? They are food driven like you wouldnt believe, and actually eat less than dogs their size due to a survival adaptation of living in the arctic. High prey drive, will chase squirrels, will probably not love your cats if you have any... will go after chipmunks etc. No Good whatsoever off leash... NEVER let a Malamute off leash unless its fenced in 6 ft high! They just have a roaming/running instinct like Siberians and cannot be trusted off leash!

• Hi,Blessed with a dense double coat, Alaskan Malamutes can tolerate living outdoors in extremely cold climates. However, they do need adequate shelter and a fenced enclosure, preferably with a roof over it. Here's more info:http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/14ld