What can I do to treat my American Bulldog's Skin Problem?

Our family's American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=6ab8d4c172afb63d9801e9e645f1562c73191637">Bulldog</a> (Marcus) is only a yer-old but he's been suffering a skin problem. The problem presents itself as over-all redness on his body with bumps and his skin easily tears and bleeds. At first, the Vet said he was allergic to his…

Our family's American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=6ab8d4c172afb63d9801e9e645f1562c73191637">Bulldog</a> (Marcus) is only a yer-old but he's been suffering a skin problem. The problem presents itself as over-all redness on his body with bumps and his skin easily tears and bleeds. At first, the Vet said he was allergic to his…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What can I do to treat my American Bulldog's Skin Problem?...

• What can I do to treat my American Bulldog's Skin Problem?

What can I do to treat my American Bulldog's Skin Problem? Dog Breed Discussions
      Our family's American Bulldog (Marcus) is only a yer-old but he's been suffering a skin problem. The problem presents itself as over-all redness on his body with bumps and his skin easily tears and bleeds. At first, the Vet said he was allergic to his foods or it might be mange. He;s been treated with antibiotics, vitamins, skin ointments and anti-mange injections. But still he hasnt gotten better and it only seems to get worse. What else can I do?

What can I do to treat my American Bulldog's Skin Problem? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Get him allergy tested and change his food. You said that the vet said that he may be allergic to his food, yet you didn't mention changing his food. I heard Blue Buffalo is good for dogs with allergies. I feed my dog (who doesn't have apparent allergies) Taste of the Wild, though.

• Try feeding him something that doesn't contain any preservatives.If you have a local pet shop see if they provide preservative free chicken mince.A lot of dogs that suffer from eczema seem to benefit from this.

• Has your veterinarian done any diagnostic tests to help diagnose the problem?This dog needs to have a skin scrape and perhaps some blood tests, to help determine what's wrong.If your vet hasn't done any diagnostic tests, I strongly advise you to get a second opinion, preferably from a veterinary dermatologist.

• Our dog has same problem.It is a mange that might or might not be contagious our's wasn't.Take him to the vet and tell him about my answer and how they gave us this shampoo and little dip stuff that every week you give him a bath and them dip him in warm water and this medicine.It's a certain type you have to get.I'm sure it will work.Have the vet scrape some off his skin and put it inside a little thing that zooms in im only 11 idk what its called.Tell me how it goes please.

• Put him on a dry food and raw hamburger diet twice a day.and cook up some chicken and on other days .use some oatmeal shampooh and make sure he has a clean place to lay and is not laying in some kind of places that are contaminated it could be. Carpet cleaner orb something in the house that's cauasing it.good luck as my answer s may not help.do the reasearch on raw beef .

• We have a cat I thought was literally going to die from her allergies. I tried Taste of the Wild finally because some people on here said they used it. It nearly killed her. I've never seen a cat, and she's only 2, so sick. In desperation I went and got a bag of Blue Wilderness for cats. I was already feeding her and the other one who has no problems other than having lost an eye to a neighbor kid with a pellet gun Blue Buffalo. I had tried all the varieties except the Wilderness. Guess what, it worked. All she did for 3 days was eat, sleep and drink water, something she hadn't done much of for a long time. Now she's up and into things and outside like she hasn't been since she was a kitten. I also have a rescued JRT/Chi that has such bad allergies, the vet recommended putting her down. Eqyss shampoo and putting her on Blue Buffalo gave her the first good sleep and hair she'd had in years. Once I switched to the Wilderness variety of Blue, she's had absolutely no itching problems & her hair is just like when she was a young dog (she's probably 13 by now) so that tells me ANY grain is no good for her. I could tell you about an APBT pup I rescued/revived for my son, using a mange cure found on a natural help website, but I'll just put the link below and you can try if for yourself. The mange cure on that website got rid of his mange. You have to follow the directions carefully, and there are some photos of people's dogs on there before and after treatment.One thing most people don't realize is, the farther you get from what is natural, the better chance there is that you're going to get problems with your health, and so will animals. They get sick from eating nothing but junk food, just like we do. It's not natural for dogs (or cats) to eat grain, or any of the disgusting things they put in low grade commercial dog "foods" so they fall prey to all kinds of parasites that wouldn't stand a chance if their immune systems were up to par from high quality, natural nutrition. I have a couple more suggestions- if you care to know what they are, shoot me an email.OH, and you might want to try a holistic vet, too, if you keep getting nowhere with traditional medicine.Best wishes...

• You can try a raw diet. Dogs on raw diets do not get food allergies. If after being switched to raw you still have issues you will need an allergy test run.We had a foster who was allergic to grass and had to be on steroids through out his life. Try a second opinion. While I am not doubting your vet sometimes fresh eyes or a different way of thinking will lead to new ideas and a possible solution. Just like if your DR couldn't find out what was wrong with you, you would look for outside help. Maybe try a vet specializing in canine dermatology.

• I would try changing his diet. He may very well be reacting to his dog food. I also recommend a supplement called Prozyme that I have had great results in treating skin problems with. It's easy to use, just sprinkle a little on their dog food everyday and that's it. Good Luck!

• I have four American Bulldogs and two of them have the same allergies that you're describing. It's the food or the shampoo you're using. I switched to Taste of the Wild (the venison/bison) a couple of years ago and started using Dove liquid soap for baths. I haven't had a problem since.