Worried about the american bulldog we are adopting being mistaken for a pitbull?

If it were just me I wouldn't care because I love pit bulls and know they are wonderful dogs but my city has strict rules about keeping pits and you have to register them with the city. I just don't want someone mistaking my American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/">bulldog</a> as a pit and…

Worried about the american bulldog we are adopting being mistaken for a pitbull?

If it were just me I wouldn't care because I love pit bulls and know they are wonderful dogs but my city has strict rules about keeping pits and you have to register them with the city. I just don't want someone mistaking my American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/">bulldog</a> as a pit and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Worried about the american bulldog we are adopting being mistaken for a pitbull?...

• Worried about the american bulldog we are adopting being mistaken for a pitbull?

Worried about the american bulldog we are adopting being mistaken for a pitbull? Dog Breed Discussions
      If it were just me I wouldn't care because I love pit bulls and know they are wonderful dogs but my city has strict rules about keeping pits and you have to register them with the city. I just don't want someone mistaking my American bulldog as a pit and having him taken from me. What should I do? Do I have anything to worry about? Should I call the city and see what they say? Also if It says he is an American bulldog on his dog license should I have a problem? I just don't want to bring him home and then have them take him.

Worried about the american bulldog we are adopting being mistaken for a pitbull? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would take him visiting. Introduce him to your neighbors and if you live in an apartment to the people in your building. This way you can tell everyone this is (insert your dogs name here) hes an American Bully and we wanted to say hi to our new friends so if you see me around you know I am friendly and not to get scared and think I am a bad dog. Once people get a chance to see him or her no one is going to turn you in and then you have an entire community to say "no, I have met that dog hes an American not a pit and hes a wonderful guy". First impressions are everything.

• I would call the city. but also have a paper on hand from the shelter/breeder/vet saying that he is a bulldog. as long as you have talked to the city and have proof of the breed you should have no problems. If someone reports it and animal control/police officers check up on it you have proof.

• is the american bulldog registered with the arf? if so, they will give you a letter stateing that american bulldog and pits are seperate breeds. the city told me i had to get rid of pitbulls and i said there american bulldogs. the nkc wont give no statement like that. but if your dog is reg. arf they will. i was lucky that my one male was reg. arf.but many people do mistake them as pitbulls. i wouldnt say nothing till it came up. because if you mention it then you'll have more problems. how mine came about is the city came to my home for notary and they saw a photo of my dog.you can also contact the arf and see if they will register your dog under them and about the letter. they are located in texas on the internet under animal research foundation. stodghills. is the one your looking for.

• If it looks like a pit bull then its a pit bullIf the city says its a pit then there is nothing you can do about it other then to register it. DNA tests are insanely expensive and won't prove anything.

• american bulldog and pitbull are two totally diff dogs but are you sure yours isnt mixed at all with a pit? your worry is valid though as basically cities and gov are stupid and if they say its a pitbull it may fall upon you to prove its not by dna testing which would be super expensive. also make sure the breed ban is for pitbulls and not bully breeds because american bulldogs do fall under the banner of bully breeds.