American Eskimo breed for toddler?

Would this be a good breed as a companion for a mother and her playful toddler?If not, what are good breeds for small children?

Would this be a good breed as a companion for a mother and her playful toddler?If not, what are good breeds for small children?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : American Eskimo breed for toddler?...

• American Eskimo breed for toddler?

American Eskimo breed for toddler? Dog Breed Discussions
      Would this be a good breed as a companion for a mother and her playful toddler?If not, what are good breeds for small children?

American Eskimo breed for toddler? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Border Collies, German Shephards, Greyhounds. the choice is endless...but here is some infoThe American Eskimo Dog, a loving companion dog, presents a picture of strength and agility, alertness and beauty. It is a small to medium-size Nordic type dog, always white, or white with biscuit cream. The American Eskimo Dog is compactly built and well balanced, with good substance, and an alert, smooth gait. The face is Nordic type with erect triangular shaped ears, and distinctive black points (lips, nose, and eye rims). The white double coat consists of a short, dense undercoat, with a longer guard hair growing through it forming the outer coat, which is straight with no curl or wave. The coat is thicker and longer around the neck and chest forming a lion-like ruff, which is more noticeable on dogs than on bitches. The rump and hind legs down to the hocks are also covered with thicker, longer hair forming the characteristic breeches. The richly plumed tail is carried loosely on the back.

• ive heard that their not, but i grew up with one he was very protective and loving and i couldnt of asked for a better dog, but if thats the breed your wanting you should do a little more research and since you have a toddler look into an american eskimo rescue and maybe get one whos already grown out of his or her puppy stage, anyways good luck and it really is a great dog breed.

• Absolutely not. Spitz breeds are never a good idea for small children, they are very high spirited and dominant, and can become aggressive or nippy if pushed to the limit. The classic "family dogs" are best for young children: beagles, labradors, golden retrievers, standard poodles, mastiffs, saint bernards, newfoundlands, and so forth.

• Definately yes!!!! If you don't believe me, here is the Tempermant of the American Eskimo Dog. Bred solely to be companions, the American Eskimo Dog thrives on being part of the family. This charming and playful breed is excellent with children, and loves to be lavished with attention. They are suspicious and wary of strangers and make good guardians of their family and home. They love to bark and will sound the alarm whenever they deem it necessary. This breed does not do well if left alone for extended periods of time or if they are isolated, as they will engage in destructive activities.

• I had a beautiful little American Eskimo SPITZ (miniature) which was a very good dog with mild manner...she was good around children and adults and other dogs as well. but it always depends on the animal itself and how it was raised around its mother & siblings when it was a baby..

• Generally larger dogs are better with toddlers and younger children because they can take the rough housing and lack of coordination. Smaller dogs can get severaly injured by small children. Any dog can be good with children if it is properly socialized and trained. But keep in mind, the children need to have manners as well! I believe an American Eskimo would be perfect if that is the dog you wish to have. However, they do require quite a bit of grooming so if you're really busy, this may not be the dog for you.

• An American Eskimo was the first type of dog that bit me. And I know that their somewhat likely to be mean like that.I suggest a Yorkie or a Dachsund.Labs are the best though for children.

• Well they are great family dogs as they love children but are a bit reserved around strangers until introduced when they become very friendly. They are high energy dogs that love to run and they need regular walks. The American Eskimo was bred to be mans best friend and with that in mind, doesn’t enjoy being left alone as they can become destructive or excessively barky. I think you would be better off with a more popular family dog... like * Beagle, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bichon Frise, Bloodhound, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Brittany Spaniel, Bulldog, Coonhound, English Setter, Foxhound, Gordon Setter, Irish Setter, Keeshond, Labrador Retriever, Mastiff, Golden Retriever, Newfoundland, Pugs, Samoyed, Siberian Husky, Springer Spaniel,Standard Poodles, Hungarian Vizsla. These are the best family dogs, I highly suggest them .Good luck with finding the dog thats best suits your lifestyle.

• Your average backyard bred American Eskimo is unlikely to be suitable in temperament to be great with kids. Buying from a responsible breeder would be of value.I grew up with Samoyeds... my grandparents bred them. My kids grew up with Samoyeds, they are excellent with children. My children are all grown and yet my present Sam is enamored with little kids and will stand patiently while they play with his ears and pet him... he seems to know not to bounce around the littlest ones.There are a lot of great dogs that get along well with children. You should consider things like activity level, ease of training, grooming, size etc... You should also consider talking to breed specific rescues as well as shelters where you may find the dog of your dreams.Edit: My Bernese are also wonderful with children... however, they are a bit clumsy so I don't know that I'd recommend them for a toddler.

• i dont know much about the american eskimo breed.but i would deffinatly suggest a lab. ive have 3 ever since i was a little kid and i think they are one of the best for little kids.or i would suggest a collie

• American Eskimos are great dogs, but they are not for everybodyHere is information on the breed that will help you decide whether or not this breed is right for you.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/americaneskimodogs.htmlhttp://www.akc.org/breeds/american_eskimo_dog/index.cfmhttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americaneskimo.htmhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Eskimo_Dog