What are some real dog breeds not recognized by AKC?

What I mean by real is dogs that have an old enough gene pool that parents can breed specifically with their own type as opposed to continuously having to be remixed again. And I don't want to hear about this labradoodle nonsense and stuff like that.…

What I mean by real is dogs that have an old enough gene pool that parents can breed specifically with their own type as opposed to continuously having to be remixed again. And I don't want to hear about this labradoodle nonsense and stuff like that.…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are some real dog breeds not recognized by AKC?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some real dog breeds not recognized by AKC?

What are some real dog breeds not recognized by AKC? Dog Breed Discussions
      What I mean by real is dogs that have an old enough gene pool that parents can breed specifically with their own type as opposed to continuously having to be remixed again. And I don't want to hear about this labradoodle nonsense and stuff like that. Pretty much anything that might be considered a "designer dog". Instead, I'm looking to hear more about breeds like the english shepherd (sort of like a border collie but purely functional).For those of you who are fans of the "designer dogs", I'm not insulting them, I'm just saying I don't really classify them as actual breeds yet. Maybe in a few years when they can stand independently. Besides, from my understanding a lot of them are actually pretty unhealthy.Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because these days I've noticed a lot of problems with AKC dog breeds because of them being bred specifically for form and not function -- like German bred German shepherd dogs vs American bred German shepherd dogs (though both have abnormally low sweeping hips if you ask me). So I'd like to know of a few more functional relatively healthy dog breeds.Please don't insult my point of view, I don't mind people challenging it, just do so in a polite fashion please.

What are some real dog breeds not recognized by AKC? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Dogs: The Ultimate Dictionary of Over 1,000 Dog Breeds, by Desmond MorrisThe New Encyclopedia of the Dog, by Bruce FogleEven if you eliminate the questionable breeds not recognized by AKC, there are probably hundreds which could claim to be legitimate and true-breeding, without cross-breeding in recent decades.There are plenty of healthy AKC breeds. A good way to find one that suits you is to study the lists of hereditary defects in dogs, concentrating on those with the fewest, and/or the least detrimental.http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htmhttp://www.lgd.org/library/PadgettDefects.htm

• Some breeds of dogs are not accepted in AKC simply because there are not enough of them here in the U.S. to form a breed club or to be accepted.Those breeds that do want accpetance are currently in the Miscellaneous catagory. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that the BlueTick Coonhound and Redbone were accepted by the AKC.Heck, I remember way back in the day, when I competed in UKC Obedience, when the American Eskimo, Belgium Shepherds among other breeds, were not recognized by the AKC.

• There are MANY breeds which aren't recognised under the AKC. These are just a few:Alpine DachsbrackeAustralian KelpieCaucasian OvckarkaBasset Bleu de GascogneBosnian Coarse-haired HoundBraque FrancaisCão de Castro LaboreiroCatalan ShepedogAriegeoisDutch ShepherdFila BrasileiroGrand Griffon VendéenHamiltonstövareJagdterrier

• • You need to modify your definition of a breed.The 3 BASIC requirements for a hypothetical breed that I shall a "Thatbreed" are:#1: A pedigree in which ONLY Thatbreeds appear - no Otherbreeds or Crossbreeds in the closest 6 or 7 generations.#2: A Closed Register in its country of origin (or its country of development, if its original country doesn't care to call it a breed, as is the case with the Iberian Collie that misguided Yanks chose to call an Australian Shepherd), so that ONLY Thatbreeds with 2 registered Thatbreed parents can be added to the register of Thatbreeds.#3 "Breeding true" = sufficient genetic consistency that the offspring of ANY 2 Thatbreeds will look and behave as Thatbreeds are expected to do - no throwbacks to any of the Thembreeds and Thisbreeds and Totherbreeds whose genes were used to create the breed.• And forget about restricting yourself to the AKC - on the world scene it is a minor player, although it IS the only Yank kennel authority that the rest of the world recognises.The world canine body (except for The KC (UK), the AKC, the ANKC, the CKC, and few satellite nations that have not yet sufficiently recovered from warfare & poverty to have a KC whose record-keeping and regulations are acceptable to the FCI) is the FCI = International Federation of Canine Organisations, with its HQ in Belgium.Conferences of the FCI decided, breed by breed, which KC's Standard should be used as the International Standard of that breed. When a member country, or one of the "accepted-but-too-independent-minded-to-join" KCs accepts a new breed, it sends its Standard to the FCI to be listed there.So the FCI does NOT list an American Indian Dog, American Pit Bull Terrier, American White Shepherd, Panda Shepherd, or Rat Terrier (let alone any of the "designer-name" crossbreeds & mongrels).Each breed is listed in the alphabetical sections under its ORIGINAL name. So my breed is not under [G] for German Shepherd Dog, it is under [D] for Deutsche Schäferhund.The easiest way to find a "foreign" breed is to click on whichever of the FCI's 10 Groups it fits into. Once you're in that group's page, the relevant breeds are listed under the name of the country they came from, with their name in their homeland language first, followed by any English, French, German or Spanish names they might also have gained.• But a caution:You state that you've "noticed a lot of problems with AKC dog breeds". I believe you. But I also point out that the RARER the breed, the MORE LIKELY is each individual to have problems. There are GOOD REASONS why rare breeds are rare! - aggression problems, allergy problems, behaviour problems, breathing problems, drooling problems, eating problems, entropion problems, epilepsy problems, knee-cap problems, Scottie-cramp problems, skin problems, whatever.• If you want a biddable, healthy pooch, your best bet is to RESEARCH to find careful breeders of whichever appeals to you most out of German Shepherd Dogs (NOT the American Ski-Slope Dog or other deviations - and PLEASE punctuate my breed correctly), Golden Retrievers, or Labrador Retrievers. They are 3 of the 5 most popular breeds in pretty-well EVERY nation. Obviously there are good REASONS for that widespread popularity. Among those reasons is that, worldwide, TRUE devotees of those 3 breeds are the highest users of tools such as xraying for hips & elbows, checking for PRA and/or haemophilia, and of trainability/controllability tests such as Field Trials and SchutzHund.Unfortunately the world's greedies, ignorants, and con-artists attempt to cash-in on that popularity, mating everything available to everything available at every season until they so damage the reputation of their current breed that their "market" vanishes, whereupon they shoot their stock and proceed to ruin a different currently-fashionable breed. You have to AVOID such establishments.Remember that web-sites are .COMmercial set-ups aimed to SELL the product to those folk too lazy or incompetent to check the claims made in the site's "spin & puffery".â—™ To ask about a breed, join some of the YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. If you don't know how, click my group's hot-link then, in the centre near the top where it says [Search for other groups], type the proper name of the breed.Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967