okay so im not sure?

i dont know what type of dog to get. Deffiently a rescued one. Ive had dogs all my life but im just about to move to Laguna Beach,CA and im living by myself. i want a big dog. so i can gaurd i was thinking maybe a Doberman or German Shepherd, Pit or…

okay so im not sure?

i dont know what type of dog to get. Deffiently a rescued one. Ive had dogs all my life but im just about to move to Laguna Beach,CA and im living by myself. i want a big dog. so i can gaurd i was thinking maybe a Doberman or German Shepherd, Pit or…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : okay so im not sure?...

• okay so im not sure?

okay so im not sure? Dog Breed Discussions
      i dont know what type of dog to get. Deffiently a rescued one. Ive had dogs all my life but im just about to move to Laguna Beach,CA and im living by myself. i want a big dog. so i can gaurd i was thinking maybe a Doberman or German Shepherd, Pit or Akita. Help?

okay so im not sure?

okay so im not sure? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Are you gonig to take this big dog out and take care of him? Big dogs require a lot of room and exercise. Make sure you are able to give the dog ample space in your new Laguna home. All of the above are good choices, the best thing to do is train you dog, and make sure he is social with people and other animals. You will then have a dog who loves you and will protect you no matter what.

• Got a dog based on the dogs individual personality not just the breed. Go to a shelter or rescue group or go to petfinder.com, get to know different dogs and then decide. Don't pick one just based on looks but because you like that specific dog.

• I think either a Dobie or German Shepard would be great. I love Pit's but so many people are wrapped up in their bad rep that you might have trouble getting renters/home owners insurance - not to mention constant criticism! I am thinking that it might be to warm in CA for an Akita. Like I said, either a Dobie or GS would be great. Both are very loyal, loving, and good guard dogs all rolled into one. Good luck!

• Those are all good dogs regardless of reputation. as long as they are trained right. but aren't pitts illegal in CA? I hope you're not going to be in an apartment. that would not be a very good home for any of those breeds.

• Hey.... Before you decide what type of dog to get visit a shelters website. I bet they would have the lists of animals there... you can also buy the animals on line.. but I wouldn't do that. Just remember check out the dog and it's behavior before you think about getting it. Just pick a dog that you think is love able and has a big heart as well as a big body:)

• German Shepherd are great dogs there loyal and have great personality's,,,,,,,,,Doberman and Pit are good dogs to but tend to be on the rough side...... Ive raised pits for many years they do protect there owners and are really a one owner type of dog.....

• If you know nothing about dogs then these breeds will not be right for you. You should research the different breeds and make a decision based on your lifestyle and personality.

• A big dog is not neccessarily a better guard dog. Granted people take the threat more seriously, but often it's just more work and greater liability. A bright lively animal will alert you to danger regardless of it's size, then you can take appropriate action. Some communities and many insurance co.s now have guidelines that (often ignorant as they may be) must be considered.PS: OJ Simpson's ex had an Akita. Fat lot of good that did her.

• THese breeds are most popularLabrador RetrieverGolden RetrieverGerman ShepherdBeagleDachshundI highly recommend German Shepards there great guard dogs and there awesome. if you want a big dog heres a chart form smallest dog to biggest dog so you can decide on the size :)Dog Breeds & Sizes ( Smaller Dogs First ) 21" to 22" Bull Terrier The White Cavalier 21" to 24" Irish Water Spaniel The Tallest Spaniel 21" to 24" Vizsla The Hungarian Pointer 21" to 25" Boxer The Fighter 21" to 25" Canary Dog The Canary Islands Dog of Prey 21" to 25" German Shorthaired Pointer The Short Haired Dog 21" to 25" Golden Retriever The World's Most Popular Dog 21" to 25" Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever The Splasher! 21" to 25" Pharaoh Hound Sighthound of the Pharaohs 21" to 25" Skye Terrier Greyfriars Bobby 21" to 26" Chesapeake Bay Retriever The Strongest Swimmer 21" to 27" Redbone Coonhound The Treeing Red Dog 22" to 24" Dalmatian Immortalised by Disney 22" to 24" Flat-Coated Retriever Natural Water Dog 22" to 24" Old English Sheepdog The "Bobtail"22" to 25" American Foxhound The Pilgrim Father's Dog 22" to 26" Belgian Malinois Bred in Malines 22" to 26" Belgian Sheepdog World War I Hero 22" to 26" Belgian Tervuren The Tervuren Village Dog 22" to 26" Collie The Lassie Star 22" to 26" German Wirehaired Pointer The Leading Pointer Dog 22" to 26" Thai Ridgeback The Thailand Spitz 22" to 27" Rottweiler Marched with the Romans 22" to 28" Beauceron Berger de Beauce 22" to 28" Tibetan Mastiff A War Dog 22.5" to 24.5" Labrador Retriever The Fisherman's Friend 22.5" to 27.5" Ibizan Hound Sighthound of Hannibal 22.5" to 27.5" Spinone Italiano Italian Renaissance Pointer 23" to 28" Saluki Sacred Dog of the Sumerian Empire 23" to 25" Airedale Terrier Dog from the Valley of Aire 23" to 25" Alaskan Malamute The Artic Dog 23" to 26" Alaskan Husky The Sled Racer 23" to 26" Pointer The Bird Locator 23" to 27" Australian Kelpie Sheep Dog Water Sprite 23" to 27" Black and Tan Coonhound The Raccoon Raider 23" to 27" Bouvier des Flandres The Strong Guy 23" to 27" Briard The Emperor Charlemagne's Dog 23" to 27" Dogue de Bordeaux French Mastiff 23" to 27" English Foxhound Favourite of the English Aristocracy 23" to 27" Weimaraner The Forester's Dog 23" to 28" Akita The Most Venerated 23" to 28" Boerboel Dog of the Boers 23" to 28" Hovawart Farm Watchdog 23.5 "to 27.5" Giant Schnauzer The Small Beard 23.5" to 28.5" Greater Swiss Mountain Dog The "Swissy"23.5" to 29.5" Neapolitan Mastiff The Dog of the Romans 23" to 27.5" Bernese Mountain Dog The Berne Herdsman's Dog 24" to 26" Alsatian The German Shepherd Dog 24" to 26" German Shepherd Dog The Alsatian Wolf Dog 24" to 26" Gordon Setter Gun Dog of Scotland 24" to 27" Bloodhound The Sleuthhound 24" to 27" Bullmastiff Poachers Beware 24" to 27" English Setter The Dog who Sits 24" to 27" Otterhound The Otter's Foe 24" to 27" Rhodesian Ridgeback The Lion Dog 24" to 28" Doberman Pinscher The Tax Collectors Dog 24" to 29" Bandog The American Bandogge 24" to 29" Chinese Foo Dog Mascot of the Tongs 24.5" to 27" Tosa Inu Dog from Tosa 25" to 27" Afghan Hound Hound of the Pharaohs and Cavemen 25" to 27" Curly-Coated Retriever The Gamekeeper's Dog 25" to 27" Irish Setter A Victorian Favorite 25" to 30" Saint Bernard The Saviour of Lost Travellers 25" to 32" Great Pyrenees The Court Dog of France 25.5" to 28.5" Maremma The Italian Sheepdog 25.5" to 27.5" Komondor The Ultimate Sheep Dog 25.7" to 27.7" Kuvasz The Dog of the Magyars 26" to 28" Borzoi Sighthound of the Russian Czars 26" to 28" Newfoundland The Landseer Dog 26" to 29" Black Russian Terrier A Bull Baiter 27" to 29" Anatolian Shepherd Dog The Wolf Hunter 27" to 30" Greyhound The Fastest Dog on Earth 27.5" to 30" Mastiff War Dog and Gladiator 28" to 32" Great Dane The Gentle Giant 28" to 32" Leonberger The Lion-like Dog 28" to 32" Scottish Deerhound Royal Dog of Scotland 30" to 35" Irish Wolfhound War Dog of Irish Chieftains Size Breed nickname

• Why do you want a guard dog? My suggestion: http://www.petfinder.comOr do a search for a breed specific rescue in your area, such as a google search for "shepherd rescue, CA" and you will find places ot adopt from.Good luck!http://www.libertydogtraining.com

• We have 2 pit bulls and a doberman. They are the sweetest dogs ever, but they are protective over the house. They don't attack people, but if they hear or see anyone, whether they're on the property or not, they start barking and growling. Especially the doberman...she's a very vocal and protective dog!

• According to Massad Ayoob, one of the most respected names in law enforcement, the two dog breeds criminals fear the most are Dobermans and Rottweilers.I've owned a German Shepherd, Doberman, English Mastiff and Great Dane, all are great for defense, although the first two were the best for that.Besides the ones mentioned there, I also like and recommend a Rhodesian Ridgeback and Anatolian Shepherd. Rottweilers and Anatolian Shepherds can be very stubborn and hard to train though.So I'd say Doberman, German Shepherd and Rhodesian Ridgeback are your best bets.There is a couple of things to keep in mind though. All of these breeds are highly active and require A LOT of both physical and mental exercise. Also, what is probably the most important, is that you need to know that the dogs you've chosen to scare other people off are not going to scare you.Every dog out there when placed in a new setting will constantly test its boundaries until it knows where it fits in in the hierarchy of the pack and what the rules of the house are. If you adopt a fully grown doberman and he gets on the couch, for example. Lets say you tell him to get off and he growls at you. Are you prepared to yank him off the couch? What if he tries to bite?Are you prepared to give commands and enforce them? If you think you are and you are prepared to spend the time and money on giving these dogs the attention they need and the exercise, then pick one of the three breeds I mentioned and you'll have both a great protector and companion.Hope this helps. E-mail me if you need more info.