who knows what a Landrace type of dog is?

I was surprised (although I did spell it wrong) to find some breeders don't understand the term. What dose a Landrace breed of dog mean to you? If you do understand about landrace & sub breeds do you think we should be trying to breed a land race breed &…

I was surprised (although I did spell it wrong) to find some breeders don't understand the term. What dose a Landrace breed of dog mean to you? If you do understand about landrace & sub breeds do you think we should be trying to breed a land race breed &…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : who knows what a Landrace type of dog is?...

• who knows what a Landrace type of dog is?

who knows what a Landrace type of dog is? Dog Breed Discussions
      I was surprised (although I did spell it wrong) to find some breeders don't understand the term. What dose a Landrace breed of dog mean to you? If you do understand about landrace & sub breeds do you think we should be trying to breed a land race breed & it's sub breeds to fit a standard? Is it right to say several types are wrong & only include 1 in the standard & breed to reduces the different types within a land race breed?land race types are pure breeds in many causes but not all, DNA studies are being done at the moment to prove this. So are you saying all Tibetan mastiffs are cross breeds being that they are a land race breed? They are not but they are a land race breed with many sub types because where they come from the terrain is so hard going dogs would be isolated to certain areas so therefore each region has it's own types of tibetan mastiffs although nearly all evolved from the same core group of dogs originally.

who knows what a Landrace type of dog is? Dog Breed Discussions
    • A "landrace" in dogs an in any other animal or plant, is a group of animals related by function, type, and geography and generally considered a mostly distinct group. They tend to reflect perfectly that form follows function as they are not bred for any but practical considerations and/or only live to reproduce if they are very well suited to their environment. Much of the heritage livestock in this country is endangered because it belongs to landraces and not breeds - without definition of what is and isn't a member of the landrace, the temptation is to allow rampant crossbreeding to "improved" or "purebred" stock if not replacing the landrace animals altogether. Formalizing via a standard and registration allows for identification of what animals are and are not included in the definition and makes it much easier, more practical, and more economically viable to maintain "pure" stocks of these and other varieties worth saving.In the case of "sub breeds", I believe that there should be a single standard. Sub-breeds that diverge widely from this standard (i.e. would not breed true to either the standard or what makes them distinct as a sub-breed if crossed with "standard" dogs) should seek to either become a breed in their own right, or a distinct variety within the breed (there are six varieties of Dachshund and reputable breeders rarely if ever cross them so they are genetically and phenotypically distinct). There are three sizes of Poodle (four if you go with international standards), and many breeds that allow more than one coat type, etc.Again, the definition/description of the unique traits as well as a labeling/registration process for animals that meet it is what allows them legitimacy and an ability to prove their stock, work towards a set goal, and network to meet common ends. That can mean the formation of a new breed, the split of an existing breed (Norwich and Norfolk Terriers, anyone? Or American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers? Or English Coonhounds and Bluetick Coonhounds? Or Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and English Toy Spaniels?) or the distinguishing and standardization of a different variety within the breed.

• Landrace and breed are, for the most part, inimical terms. The sine qua non of the landrace is its suitability to function in its purpose niche. Once people get involved and decide what color, size, and other physical characteristics the dog should have, the working purpose takes a back seat or is relegated to irrelevance. Landraces are mixes, not pure breeds, and humans should not attempt to represent them as legitimate purebreds.

• That would be contradictory wouldn't it?Landrace species are those that are allowed to develop naturally. The Herding and Guarding dogs of Turkey are a good example. The Anatolian Shepherd and Akbash Dogs are usually allowed to breed freely in Turkey. Over time, the look of the dogs in one region is slightly different from another.I'm not surprised dog breeders don't know of it, it's more likely an ecologist, botanist or naturalist would know the term. A dog breeder would call them mutts. Breeders are all about changing dogs to meet an interpretation of the standard, which was determined by other humans.Edited:No more than Anatolian Shepherds...no less either. With no other types of dogs available to reproduce with, you do wind up with a dog that would be considered "pure breed". By holding any dog breed to a standard, you first have to pick exactly one. Many dogs are still excluded from kennel clubs because breeders can't agree on one standard for the breed. (ie: the American Bulldog)Please keep in mind that kennel clubs and breed standards in no way mark a breed as perfect or better. As mentioned a Landrace species can be anything: The Giant Tortoises of the Galapagos Islands are a good example. Each island has a different, distinct tortoise, but they are similar.