Anyone know any good tips or trainers for an American Eskimo in florida?

I have an american eskimo he will be turning 3 this year. I really don't know how to handle him. Everytime we have company we have to put him away in a room because he will start barking like crazy or if not I'm afraid he will bite someone. I took him…

I have an american eskimo he will be turning 3 this year. I really don't know how to handle him. Everytime we have company we have to put him away in a room because he will start barking like crazy or if not I'm afraid he will bite someone. I took him…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Anyone know any good tips or trainers for an American Eskimo in florida?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anyone know any good tips or trainers for an American Eskimo in florida?

Anyone know any good tips or trainers for an American Eskimo in florida? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an american eskimo he will be turning 3 this year. I really don't know how to handle him. Everytime we have company we have to put him away in a room because he will start barking like crazy or if not I'm afraid he will bite someone. I took him to a trainer but she was really no help at all. Does anyone have any advice on how to take care of this situation? I'd really aprreciate it!

Anyone know any good tips or trainers for an American Eskimo in florida? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You will need to start by teaching your dog the commands you will need in those situations, but teach them in a calm environment. You will need a reliable sit, and a reliable stay. Practice his sits and his stays so that they are strong and reliable. When you use a stay, do not let your dog move until you tell him to release (using a word like release). Use positive reinforcement (either treats or a favourite toy) to strengthen and reward your dog.Next, you are going to need to set up some visits from people. Start with a single person, and make sure it is someone who doesn't mind that you will be focusing on your dog, not on them, so they may have to wait a few minutes before you answer the door, then they may get the door slammed in their face, then they may be told to leave again, then all of this will need to be repeated, with them and then with different guests.So you have told your friend to come over to help you train your dog. You prepare by putting your dog on a flat collar and a leash. You have a pocket full of lots of smelly treats (Benny Bulleys are great). You then hear the doorbell or a knock on your door. You walk towards the door and stop (probably about 4-5 feet back so that you can reach the door while still holding your dog's leash, but your dog is still far enough from the door that it isn't too tempting to dash). Ask your dog to sit. Because he will be probably in his 'crazy' state and barking, you will probably need to put a big piece of Benny Bulley (which is freeze dried liver so very smelly and yummy to a dog) right in front of your dogs nose and lure him into a sit. When he looks at your or even just pauses, say 'yes' or 'good' telling him that that is what he is supposed to do and that the treat will follow (so give a small treat). Once your dog is in a sit, give him a treat. Then if he stays in the sit without barking, give another small treat because you know he has listened. If he does bark, just wait until he stops. If he stands, tell him a quick 'no', take a few steps away from the door, and reapproach to where you originally were, and tell him to sit again. By now he should have calmed down a bit and he should sit more easily, so say 'yes' and give a treat. Then tell him to stay. Walk towards the door. If you get to the door and he doesn't break his stay, then go back, release him, and give him a treat. Then put him back in the stay, and open the door. If he breaks his stay, close the door, walk back to your dog and then past him further into your home (he is being removed from what he was curious about at the door so this is a negative to him). Then put him back in the stay and repeat. I'm hoping you are catching on to this pattern. Do baby steps at a time until you can have the person in your doorway and your dog is still in a calm stay.Next is getting your dog socialized with the new people. Every time someone new comes to your house, you should ask them to do a trick with your dog (it can be as simple as sit, or shake a paw, or whatever else your dog knows). This will teach your dog that anyone who enters your house is not there to threaten him, but to 'play' with him. So the person has entered your home, you return to your dog and release him. Then tell your dog 'go see' or some command to go and greet the person in the door (who originally should be a dog friendly person). Give the person a treat, and ask them to tell your dog to sit (start with simple tricks so your dog learns not to be nervous of new people). You can then walk into another room with your company and if your dog follows quietly, you give him a treat, if he growls or barks, you stop him in his tracks (with the leash) and tell him to sit so you are back in control. This will be a long process. You may have to stick to just opening the door for the first few weeks. Then you will have to stick to a single person in your house with your dog. Slowly you can increase his repertoire of people and he will become more comfortable of all different people and then anyone who enters the house because it means he will get positive attention. I'd suggest you keep him on leash when you have lots of company over, and that way you can reward him for his good behaviour and correct him for his bad behaviour.I don't know any dog trainers in Florida, but I'd look for a dog trainer who uses positive reinforcement, and one that will work with you in your home as that is the situation you need help with. Since it will be a long process, I would suggest you get a trainer on your side for support when you have problems.Good luck!