What To Do With An Overly Aggressive American Eskimo?

I have an American Eskimo Dog and he is aggressive towards people he does not know and even more aggressive towards dogs. He is four years old and I was wondering if there was a place or a dog class that takes in older dogs and has success with training…

I have an American Eskimo Dog and he is aggressive towards people he does not know and even more aggressive towards dogs. He is four years old and I was wondering if there was a place or a dog class that takes in older dogs and has success with training…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What To Do With An Overly Aggressive American Eskimo?...

• What To Do With An Overly Aggressive American Eskimo?

What To Do With An Overly Aggressive American Eskimo? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an American Eskimo Dog and he is aggressive towards people he does not know and even more aggressive towards dogs. He is four years old and I was wondering if there was a place or a dog class that takes in older dogs and has success with training them to be less aggressive. He was blinded in one of his eyes when he was a puppy which might have caused his aggression. Any advice and information would be appreciated. Thank you.

What To Do With An Overly Aggressive American Eskimo? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It sounds like he needs socialization. You can do this on your own by slowly introducing him to new people/puppies, or take him to an obedience class. When you introduce him to someone knew you'll need to prepare. First get a piece of cloth, or something with that person's scent. Let him sniff it. Gradually build your way up until he meets the new person, or dog.

• Call your vet and get a recommendation for a qualified trainer that has experience with aggressive dogs. Classes are the worst thing to take him if he is aggressive to people and other dogs. He needs one-on-one training.Be aware that training does not always work. The goal will be for him to follow your commands and not react to other people or to dogs but to listen to you. He may not ever be trustworthy on his own.

• Wow, i have never had an aggressive eskimo pup..and I have had quite a few of them. Well, yes most places that train dogs are not age discriminant, so they would take yours in no problem. And yes the blind side could be a factor, but not the only one. If he was always fighting things that came up to him/her on the blind side then yeah, but overall aggression could stem from other things. So getting a trainer would be a good idea I believe.

• Aggression is difficult to treat, because it has many different varieties. The most important thing is to find a vet that can help you to make sure that the dog is physically healthy first, then help you to determine the causes of the aggression. Try to find a vet with lots of experience in behavior diagnosis and training. Then maybe they can recommend a good, qualified trainer. The thing with aggression is that if you do not properly diagnose the causes, you could make the problem worse. And if the dog is already aggressive, it might actually lead the dog to a bite. The other important point is that aggression is not often cured, but controlled. And it is not a matter of a couple of classes. It takes a lot of work, and you will have to be a part of that. Good luck. and I hope it all works out for you.

• hi,Though it seems to yield little benefit for the domesticated dog, canine aggression once served very necessary purposes: hunting down food and protecting territory and other pack members. For the modern dog, aggression toward people still surfaces as a result of a real or perceived threat--and often worsens because our two species don't naturally speak the same language.here's a treatment:http://www.mediumurl.com/?r=639263189613046145674175564620 hope this helps.